Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added poly fil to my soundbar, holy hell, what a difference. I thought just replacing the OEM speakers was huge, stuffing that soundbar was almost like I had a cheap sound system!

How have you guys stuffed your soundbar? Mine is in pretty packed near dome light but loose on edges, I am wondering if I should pack tight throughout, any thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Poly-fil works wonders. I used to use it in my subwoofer boxes back in my sound system days. I kinda packed them medium firm if that makes sense. Enough to kinda have to push the sub in as you go to screw it in.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Anybody want to give a short tutorial on how to do this for a moron like me? Sounds like a necessary mod, but I'm not exactly sure where to put the filler. Behind speakers? In front of speakers? Both? Contacting speaker cone? Help?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your not a moron?! Just eager to learn things :) Poly-fil should be placed behind the speaker inside of the speaker box. I don't recommend that it touches the cone since it could cause problems with the sound. The backside of the speaker has a "cage" so that will protect it from touch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anybody want to give a short tutorial on how to do this for a moron like me? Sounds like a necessary mod, but I'm not exactly sure where to put the filler. Behind speakers? In front of speakers? Both? Contacting speaker cone? Help?
I've always just cut upon an old pillow and pushed the stuffing in there. Works great.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
up hill bill said:
anybody want to give a short tutorial on how to do this for a moron like me? Sounds like a necessary mod, but i'm not exactly sure where to put the filler. Behind speakers? In front of speakers? Both? Contacting speaker cone? Help?
x2

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bill!

Just remove one of the rear speakers and begin stuffing it in towards the dome light. As to the rest of your question, I am kind of wondering myself, I am not sure how tight to pack it. I didn't put too much around speakers, and it made a ginormous difference. Just want full potential, so hopefully someone chimes in.

This mod may have prevented me from buying a new deck for a few years at least!

·
4,666 Posts
Your not a moron?! Just eager to learn things :) Poly-fil should be placed behind the speaker inside of the speaker box. I don't recommend that it touches the cone since it could cause problems with the sound. The backside of the speaker has a "cage" so that will protect it from touch. Hope this helps.
Bingo. Thank you for the perfect answer. :thumb:

And your right, I can't be a moron.... If it is true that one learns from their mistakes, I must know an awfully lot about just about everything! :rofl:

·
4,666 Posts
Hey Bill!

Just remove one of the rear speakers and begin stuffing it in towards the dome light. ...!
Great! So you really did mean that you stuffed the sound bar, not just the speakers on the sound bar.

Thanks.

Now to find an old pillow or something filled with poly-fill.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haha no problem! And believe me, I'd be a moron myself if I didn't learn from my mistakes. And I've made plenty of those in my short life I've already lived!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good thing it's non-allergenic! The speaker might have an outbreak. Haha. (bad joke) (hides)
ha, I think the sound waves like the plush effect, maybe even moreso than regular non-plush poly fil:thumb:

Guess I will go back in and put some more inside the soundbar.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I packed rear sub and two sound bar speakers with polyfill. I did not replace the stock Infinity speakers. Good news was it only took about an hour. Bad news was with the stock speakers the improvement in sound was only very modest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
New2012JEEP said:
ha, I think the sound waves like the plush effect, maybe even moreso than regular non-plush poly fil:thumb:

Guess I will go back in and put some more inside the soundbar.
Haha, don't forget the luxurious silky feel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
KarlG said:
I packed rear sub and two sound bar speakers with polyfill. I did not replace the stock Infinity speakers. Good news was it only took about an hour. Bad news was with the stock speakers the improvement in sound was only very modest.
Did it make a difference with the sub?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I replaced my head, added a powered sub, an replaced all four speakers with kickers. I am hoping this little cheap trick will help especially up front since there is really nothing there to help push the sound.

1 - 20 of 572 Posts