Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has one, what's your favorite, and why? I'll usually be carrying one boat, but may occasionally go as many as three (any more and I'll use a trailer). I have a good friend who is an amazing fabricator, so I'll probably be paying him for a custom job, but I was looking for what has worked for others.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I have a Congo Cage by Kargo Master. I purchased Yakima bar adapters for it. I have 4 Yaks and have had them down to Florida and up to Maine from Massachusetts. I use all Yakima appliances including ski racks. When I carry 4 yaks, I use the yak stacker and sharks for the two in the center and the J rack for the two on the ends. Long ones in the center and short ones on the ends. Absolutely no problems with them getting loose. I have a system that works for me. On the trip to Florida from MA, they never loosened or made noise. It has been a great system.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Proline GMR-165 Car Rain Gutter Roof Luggage Racks saw this on another site or post.. 50 bucks cant go wrong
I went and looked at the link. Can't trust more than 40 pounds to the rain gutters says the engineers at Yakima. Skis up top - maybe but nothing more with that system. Yaks up top you are taking a heck of a chance with your yak(s) even one yak is too many. Trust me on that one.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The design we came up with is going to have alot in common with the Congo, thanks for the tip! We're about 3 weeks out from starting, but I'll try to remember to get progress pics and tips throughout to help all the do-it-yourself folks here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the warrior products rack works wirh both hard and soft tops

·
Registered
286 Posts
For those of you looking for a simple roof rack installation for one or two kayaks, this is the way I chose to do it. It was installed by Rack Attack. Total price with price matching was approximately $1000.00 for everything including the Hullavator. It works beautifully, requiring lifting the kayak to waist level. Much better that trying to get it all the to roof level. If you have any questions, fire away!

Basic Thule rack & crossbars with the mounts attached for the Hullavator:

Hullavator mount close-up attached to cross bar:

Hullavator attached to mounts:

Inside thumb mounts, 6 on each side. One is hidden by roll bar:

Kayak loaded on driver side, ready to be lifted into position. Very simple to do:

View from front. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

View from rear. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

Overall installation from the side:

Overall Installation from the rear:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trailer!!!

Just get a trailer and be done with it. I've loaded kayaks on truck racks and SUV and it sucks! I got a trailer and no more worries!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I use the RR light bar with a hitch on the front(or back)and a "T"-bar. I chose the front so I can still open the rear gate plus I can go without the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts