Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To sum it up I am buying new tires this week. I was going to buy another set of Bighorns but found out that I can get a set of MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Now this got me thinking. Should I stick with 33's or make the move up to 35's while I have the chance..

This is my daily driver so I have a few questions

-How are 35's with 4.10 gears (will going up from 33's to 35's really hurt MPG?

-Can anyone think of anything I should take into consideration that I may be forgetting?

I have the room to make the move up (rocking 33's on my suspension right now with tons of room to flex and my ACOS are at the lowest setting and I haven't even installed the 1.25" BL I have.

Thanks again for the advice and being the voice of reason!

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some quick things to think about with 35's.

Steering.
brakes.
gears...you already know
clearance....you have that covered sounds like.
correcting speedo.

You want them anyway....go for it. You'll love the MTR's.
Well I already have the Currie HD steering waiting to go on, disc brakes all around, and a GPS to tell me my speed. My main concerns that I can think of is whether the 35's will really hurt the drivability and MPG since it is my daily.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts

I'm watching this thread play out. My baby needs new sneakers fairly soon and I am toying with going up from 33s to 35s and regearing her. I know I want 35s, not decided on which ones. But also wanna make sure I have all my bases covered, too.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm watching this thread play out. My baby needs new sneakers fairly soon and I am toying with going up from 33s to 35s and regearing her. I know I want 35s, not decided on which ones. But also wanna make sure I have all my bases covered, too.
Like I said, I was looking at another set of Bighorns since I really love the set I have now but the guy offered me MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Plus Goodyear has an $80 mail in rebate going on right now so it would be cheaper than the Bighorns. Then I found out the 35's weren't much more.......Dam temptation! :banghead:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was thinking of making the move up too and then discovered I cant get 10.5" wide tires in 35s Not an issue if you like the wide tires but I prefer the skinny ones

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Like I said, I was looking at another set of Bighorns since I really love the set I have now but the guy offered me MTRs with kevlar for the same price. Plus Goodyear has an $80 mail in rebate going on right now so it would be cheaper than the Bighorns. Then I found out the 35's weren't much more.......Dam temptation! :banghead:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know. I am also toying with the ATs versus MTs issue. I put a lot of highway miles on my TJ, and MTs are gonna get chewed up faster. But man, when she is off the pavement...:rolleyes:

I think I am going to treat that like I do MPG in her. Choose to not do the math and remain happily ignorant about how much more it costs. :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have 35" KM2's on my JK and 35" MTR's Kevlar on my TJ. MTR's are quieter on pavement and as good or better offroad.

33's are ultimately the more pragmatic choice for pavement driving. But I think you should get 35's. If you're looking for the very best fuel economy you probably wouldn't be driving a jeep anyway. Same with horsepower, you'd probably be driving something else if that was a priority. Stock steering can handle 35's. Axle shafts? If you don't have Dana 44's, you might think about that, maybe some Superior chrome moly. You'll probably want 4.88 gears, especially if you have an automatic.

Yeah, get the 35's, besides giving you an extra 1" clearance and extra wheel diameter offroad, they just look better proportionally with your lift.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know. I am also toying with the ATs versus MTs issue. I put a lot of highway miles on my TJ, and MTs are gonna get chewed up faster. But man, when she is off the pavement...:rolleyes:
The reason that I was looking at another set of Bighorns was because they actually handled better and wore great compared to my BFG ATs plus had all the additional off road perks. I also drive like an idiot and put about 400 miles a week in driving on them so its not like I babied them. If the MTRs are as good or better I will be more than happy with the purchase. I just cant decide between 33s or 35's.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Axle shafts? If you don't have Dana 44's, you might think about that, maybe some Superior chrome moly. You'll probably want 4.88 gears, especially if you have an automatic.

Yeah, get the 35's, besides giving you an extra 1" clearance and extra wheel diameter offroad, they just look better proportionally with your lift.
I have D44s, 6spd, and 4.10s. I plan on eventually upgrading shafts but no plans on re-gearing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the opposite question rolling around in my head, I have 35x12.50r15 bfg m/t km2s and I was wondering what would change if I just went down to 33's. Everything set for 35's but just going down to 33's really going to do much?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
My TJ had 35s MTs on her when I went to buy her. I was concerned about handling and wear, so I had them switch them out for the 33 ATs. MAN---what a difference in the way it looks. She looked way meaner on 35s. And I could not tell much difference in handling from the test drive on curvy mountain roads on MTs versus the 33 ATs now.

However, that being said, since she was not regeared to handle the 35s it probably was a wise decision at the time, even though I didn't know it. Now that I am starting to get into mud, I am wanting the bigger mud tires and wanting the regear, and lockers, and....

I will get the 35s at some point. Just not sure if it will be this go around or not. Depends on mod money at the necessary time. :D

But you are moddin' up anyhow, and it sounds like to me you have already made your mind up. You just need someone to tell you it is okay to go for it.

If it were me and I had those mods, I would go for it! Its always a work in progress and you can tackle anything else as it arises.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the opposite question rolling around in my head, I have 35x12.50r15 bfg m/t km2s and I was wondering what would change if I just went down to 33's. Everything set for 35's but just going down to 33's really going to do much?

same here.....subscribing:wavey:

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
:eek: Why would you want to is the real question!

Just kiddin'. :D

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so anyone with 4.10's and wanna chime in with their experiences with 33's vs 35's?

·
Registered
401 Posts
:eek: Why would you want to is the real question!

Just kiddin'. :D
Haha, just wondering if it would make any big difference plus its a little cheaper.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Haha, just wondering if it would make any big difference plus its a little cheaper.
I hear ya, but I am telling you...I was standing there when they pulled mine around to take the 35s off, and then there 30 mins later when they brought her back on 33s. HUGE difference in wow appearance factor.

:eek: It made me a little sick.

Granted, probably smart move since I need more mods to handle 35s. The only thing that saved me from crying was the fact that I was taking her home for the first time ever...so I was too excited to let downsizing tires kill my joy.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm assuming you have a Rubicon. Your mileage is going down but not a lot. One your jeep is going higher into the air and two the tires weigh more causing more power to first move them. But you can counter some of that since you have a manual. If you have a Rubicon that in the computer it can be upgraded to 35's. I think you will be fine.

Fine a chart where it shows engine RPM's per gear ratio at a constant speed with the different tire sizes. That will help you out a lot.

But do it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts