Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 jku w/ko2 265/70/17 tires. I was all set on getting a teraflex leveling kit knowing it really isn't technically a lift but it will raise the jeep a bit.

But looking at my jeep and taking a few measurements, I don't really see a bad rake. Im just worried if I do the leveling kit the front might be higher than the rear. And I have no plans for a new bumper/winch? So, now I'm torn.

Knowing I am going to keep my stock tires for a year or two, what would you do?
Is there another option in the ~$400 range that will still look good?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 2017 jku w/ko2 265/70/17 tires. I was all set on getting a teraflex leveling kit knowing it really isn't technically a lift but it will raise the jeep a bit.

But looking at my jeep and taking a few measurements, I don't really see a bad rake. Im just worried if I do the leveling kit the front might be higher than the rear. And I have no plans for a new bumper/winch? So, now I'm torn.

Knowing I am going to keep my stock tires for a year or two, what would you do?
Is there another option in the ~$400 range that will still look good?
After seeing what you plan/have. I say the TF puck leveling kit is a perfect choice for you.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
265/70R17 is shorter than the stock 255/75R17.

If you don't have rake, and don't want bigger tires, you don't need a lift or leveling kit.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Severate - The tf puck kit is the same as the leveling kit I mentioned, right?

If so, as I said, I'm afraid the front will end up higher than the back and look odd. I measured yesterday and I'm roughly thinking the front is already only about 1/2" lower at the most. You can kinda see it in my profile pic,.

·
Super Moderator
16,374 Posts
If you measure your pinch seams just behind the front tire and just in front of the rear tire, you'll identify your actual rake.

If the rake is low, like 1/2", you could just buy a pair of 1" front TF pucks and a pair of rear 1/2" TF pucks and that would get you a nice look on smaller tires, plus make you perfectly level.

If you have zero rake now, put 1" pucks all around... Make sense?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pressurized. Not sure how to measure from the pinch seam????

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still unsure about this.

If I am supposed to measure from the pinch seam to the ground then I have rock rails so it's not easy. I did measure from the rock rails to the ground and I have at least a one inch drop in the front as compared to the back.

Would this be an accurate method??

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Use the same locations Pressurized mention, but measure from the bottom of the frame rail to the ground instead.

The rock rail may be alright, but it's hard to say because that includes mounting brackets which may or may not be the same length in the front and back.

The pinch seam as well as your frame rail is a horizontal straight line and that's what you want.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Here is how it works:

1. Put on the leveling kit
2. Now the front is higher than the rear, so buy a winch.
3. Now the rear is higher than the front again, so man up and buy a 2" lift.
4. Now the front is higher again, so install the leveling kit you removed in step 3.
5. Everything is level now, but your stock tires look awefully small, so buy 35" tires.
6. The tires look great and the Jeep is level, but now your tires hit your fender liners when you turn sharply... so you post a question: spacers or new rims?
7. The new rims look great. You decide you are happy... until you hit a speed bump at the mall... wow, my factory shocks aren't working well any more. You buy new shocks after asking the forum if Rancho RS 9000 shocks are any good.
8. You purchase Fox shocks.
9. Everything is good for two months, then the steering wheel starts shaking wildly at speeds over 50 mph. You post a question on the forum and learn about death wobble. You replace your front track bar.
10. That front track bar doesn't cure the death wobble problem so you post again on the forum. You decide a fox ATS will help the problem, so you buy one and install it.
11. Death wobble is cured, but now your 2" lift is sagging and your tires are hitting the fender flares when you drive over curbs, so you post a question on the forum about a replacement lift. You decide the Mopar 4" lift is what you need, so you pay to have it installed.
12. The installer installed your stabilizer links backwards and now they rub the tires. You post another question.
13. You decide to sponsor the forum because of all the nice Jeepers who have helped you.
14. You go Offroad for the first time at night and discover that the factory headlights suck, so you post a question to the forum about which LED headlights are best.
15. You buy JW Speaker headlights and install them, oh, and why not match so you buy JW Speaker tail lights and fog lights.
16. Your rear track bar looks pretty wimpy compared to your front track bar so you replace it.
17. Your Jeep is so high that it is hard for your short wife to get in.. so you install grabars.
18. You post 73 times on the forum about how hard the grabars were to install.
19. Your wife notices how much money you have spent on your Jeep and divorces you, taking the kids and the dog. She left the cat though...

No. You should not install the front leveling kit.

Joe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here is how it works:

4. Now the front is higher again, so install the leveling kit you removed in step 3.
5. Everything is level now, but your stock tires look awefully small, so buy 35" tires.
6. The tires look great and the Jeep is level, but now your tires hit your fender liners when you turn sharply... so you post a question: spacers or new rims?
7. The new rims look great. You decide you are happy... until you hit a speed bump at the mall... wow, my factory shocks aren't working well any more. You buy new shocks after asking the forum if Rancho RS 9000 shocks are any good.
9. Everything is good for two months, then the steering wheel starts shaking wildly at speeds over 50 mph. You post a question on the forum and learn about death wobble. You replace your front track bar.
10. That front track bar doesn't cure the death wobble problem so you post again on the forum. You decide a fox ATS will help the problem, so you buy one and install it.
11. Death wobble is cured, but now your 2" lift is sagging and your tires are hitting the fender flares when you drive over curbs, so you post a question on the forum about a replacement lift. You decide the Mopar 4" lift is what you need, so you pay to have it installed.
12. The installer installed your stabilizer links backwards and now they rub the tires. You post another question.
13. You decide to sponsor the forum because of all the nice Jeepers who have helped you.
14. You go Offroad for the first time at night and discover that the factory headlights suck, so you post a question to the forum about which LED headlights are best.
15. You buy JW Speaker headlights and install them, oh, and why not match so you buy JW Speaker tail lights and fog lights.
16. Your rear track bar looks pretty wimpy compared to your front track bar so you replace it.
17. Your Jeep is so high that it is hard for your short wife to get in.. so you install grabars.
19. Your wife notices how much money you have spent on your Jeep and divorces you, taking the kids and the dog. She left the cat though...

Joe.
Bravo.

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
Still unsure about this.

If I am supposed to measure from the pinch seam to the ground then I have rock rails so it's not easy. I did measure from the rock rails to the ground and I have at least a one inch drop in the front as compared to the back.

Would this be an accurate method??
That is as accurate as any other method.
The nice thing about the Teraflex leveling kit is it allows you to add 1" at the back and either 1" or 2" at the front. But it sounds like you need 2" at the front.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here is how it works:

Joe.
Hahaha. This should be a stickie!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts