Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I know there is a ton of other posts about this as well and I have read all of them and still can't decide. I live in northern alberta Canada about 3 hours from the mountains. The trails that they have here are mostly dirt and mud, pretty much all atv and sled trails(live in the" sled capital of Canada" where you can legally use them in town) so they get pretty beat up and we get a foot of snow by oct 1st. ( tried to take my current f150 on some with 4x4 and I honestly didn't feel like it could handle with without getting stuck out in the bush) it will be my dd with going offroad a few times a month. I'm torn between if the sport would handle these trails or if the rubi would be better to get because of the weather we have and the trails that we have too. Is there anyone that has a similar environment where they live? I won't be modding anything anytime soon so I was leaning towards the rubi but if the sport could handle it I would get that. Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you are not going to be modding and can afford the rubi, I would go that route. I am a big fan of the lockers. I don't have the environment you do (Northern Ohio) but we do get a ton of snow from the lake effect.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
In winter, LSD and AT tires are usually better than lockers and MT tires on pavement.....HOWEVER...you are talking about Northern Canada (or other places where you see deep snow and mud as opposed to just slick paved roads).

Get the Rubi...

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Here is a link for you: Rubicon Vs. Sport threads More than 10 pages of different threads on the subject! Good luck and welcome!

Edit: I forgot to mention... buy a Rubi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, it's a hard decision but I got some time to do some more research( I spend at least a few hours a day researching them) especially when the wife will be getting her jeep grand cherokee summit soon and going to wait to finish up my payments on the truck before trading it in....should've got a jeep instead

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I think for about $2500 you could mod the sport enough to handle that no problem

May not even need the mods

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm picking up my third JK tonight. It's a JKUR like my last. I ordered each. When I spec out a Sport with what I want and spec out a Rubi with what I want, it works out to right at a $4k difference. That makes it a no brainer for me to get the Rubi. Sure the $4k can build out a nice Sport and get it close to a Rubi's level of performance, but just that, close. $4k does not swap the transfer case for a 4:1 ratio, upgrade the front axle to a 44, install lockers front and rear, install sway discos, add rails, add better shocks, etc. Yes there is still some more differences that warrant an etc. JK drivers and opinions. LOL. Now, for what you describe, I'd think a Sport would be just fine as long as it has a limited slip in the rear. BUT, on top of everything else I said above, if you get a Rubi, it has an option for heated seats with leather. Up north where you are I'd think those heated seats might be real nice. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I live in Alaska and if had the money I would get the rubi. I have a Saharah unlimited that I have slowly modded as I got the cash.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just do the Rubi. I know your area and it seems you will just pine over it if you don't.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Given the extreme environment in which you live, Imma gonna vote for the Rubi too, without hesitation. I can imagine a situation in a remote area where it might be more dire than simple inconvenience getting stuck on the way to little Precious' hockey practice, where one's life could actually be on the line, and I think I'd want the best, most capable vehicle I could afford.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Get the Rubicon. You'll have seat stitching, a hood sticker, and more manliness than if you bought a sport
The sport is a capable vehicle but if I lived where he does the rubi would be a no brainer. I loved my sport, wheeled the hell out of it and whoever ends up with it is one lucky mofo, but this rubi is a beast. I gotta admit though, the cushy stuff it has makes me feel like a puss and the boys I wheel with cut me no quarter about it.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Now for a realistic opinion....... remember sport,sahara, and rubicon are all 4WD, they all look alike, all have the same motor, etc. and YES I KNOW the rubi has lockers and sways and what not. the question to the threadstarter are you really going to be off roading as much as you think ?? if you are a serious off-roader and not one of these people who pretend to be one while here on here online, then maybe the rubicon might suit you better.

Also if you said this will be a daily driver mostly, and you plan on just off roading every so often why blow the extra $6k or $7k dollars? that money can be spent elsewhere or even on mods for a sport model if you go that route.

Choice is yours good luck and keep us informed on what you decide.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
2020 brings up a good point, it the extras in your budget?? Definitely a consideration. If I lived there though i'd be offroad all the time. Hell I live in eastern/Northern KY and I still offroad all the time so I am biased.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Now for a realistic opinion....... remember sport,sahara, and rubicon are all 4WD, they all look alike, all have the same motor, etc. the question is are you really going to be going off roading as much as you think ?? if you are a serious off-roader and not one of these people who pretend to be on here online, then maybe the rubicon might suit you better.

Also if you said this will be a daily driver mostly, and you plan on just off roading every so often why blow the extra $6k or $7k dollars? that money can be spent elsewhere or even on mods for a sport model.

Choice is yours good luck and keep us informed on what you decide.
:confused:
I thought "most" of the opinions actually were realistic. We are talking North Alberta Canada, not North Carolina. I usually try to explain to posters that if you are not off-roading, get limited slip and better tires as opposed to features you won't ever use. But in this case, with a foot of snow by 10/1 (which will also mean tons of mud) on the trails...and being 3 hours away from the mountains, lockers and MT tires do make sense.....especially if his current 4x4 leaves him worried about getting stuck. Of course, if he is never going to leave the pavement....dump the Rubi (assuming the plows are decent in the winter).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just posted the same thing the other day, good luck, its a tough choice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for the opinions everyone, no the plots are awful here, small town use sand instead of salt. I work shift work so I usually do 5 days on 5 off and have a bit of time to do stuff, the city is about a 2 hour drive for me and there's not a whole lot of things to do but quad or sled which I'd rather off road with the jeep, nothing too crazy but I've been in spots that I just end up reversing out of because its way more then my truck can handle( it's stock with decent tires) plus the trails are pretty narrow in spots. Some spots you could find mud up to your bumper( buddy sank a quad in the trails just past his seat) would lockers really be worth it especially I won't be rock crawling more mudding if anything, would a good set of muddles and a lift serve me better and save money? The difference up here from a sport 21-24k and a rubi36-40k thanks again

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The rubi will serve you well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts