Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background I have a 2012 unlimited with a hard top. I live in Texas so as much as I would like to be topless and doorless all summer I will probably want some type of sun protection from time to time.

My ideal top would be a bikini that would work, if needed in a rain, with the doors on (mainly concerned about keeping the front electronics area dry). I was looking at the bestop safari but it seems like it's not water tight or even close with the doors on. Anyone with this top and setup care to comment? Not just about the rain aspect but any other thought in this particular top.

Is there a top that will do this that still comes off easily and doesn't require parts to be removed when going back to the hardtop. If not what do hardtop owners typicall do for summer.

If there is no easy answer for the above would a webshade be the way to go or is a bikini top still worth it since it keeps things dry for the most part.

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
subscribed.......I was wondering the same thing. I'm leaning towards a safari top just for the chance i get caught in the rain i want to keep the electronics dry.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
You are right about the webshades, they will do nothing for rain. I'm looking into the Bikini/windjammer/tonnaeu route, but haven't seen any threads giving them a thorough evaluation.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My main issue with the Webshades, is to me it seems similar to just running with the top up and the windows down/off. Putting down the soft top so that I have a thinner top over my head just seems sort of pointless, though maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Check out Bestop Trektop NX. Its a soft top that can be easily transformed to bikini top or u can also fold down front half in 5 seconds. Only thing is if you decide to remove the soft top completely it will not be as simple. Anyway, I never need to remove my soft top completely, i always run it in safari mode.

PS. Not my rig.
Edit: here is mine second pic

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you are only worried about the front electronics, why not run the freedom panels only? Then you don't have to buy anything.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Check out Bestop Trektop NX. Its a soft top that can be easily transformed to bikini top or u can also fold down front half in 5 seconds. Only thing is if you decide to remove the soft top completely it will not be as simple. Anyway, I never need to remove my soft top completely, i always run it in safari mode.

PS. Not my rig.
Edit: here is mine second pic
if you have a factory hardtop, and go with the Trektop, do you have to buy door surrounds also?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My main issue with the Webshades, is to me it seems similar to just running with the top up and the windows down/off. Putting down the soft top so that I have a thinner top over my head just seems sort of pointless, though maybe I am missing something.
I tend to agree, but I have never used one so who knows.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
if you have a factory hardtop, and go with the Trektop, do you have to buy door surrounds also?
No you don't. Trektop NX is a complete kit, comes with everything you need. I paid less than $600 for it. Very happy.

Here is how it looks like complete

·
Registered
324 Posts
No you don't. Trektop NX is a complete kit, comes with everything you need. I paid less than $600 for it. Very happy.

Here is how it looks like complete

sweet, I found one new in box on craigslist for $500! and watching one on ebay right now for $30.00!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Its not like that at all. Thats how it would be with the safari portion of the Trektop. The shades allow air to travel trough it and still keep sun off your head. In Texas, the shades are a must!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its not like that at all. Thats how it would be with the safari portion of the Trektop. The shades allow air to travel trough it and still keep sun off your head. In Texas, the shades are a must!!
So you are saying I need to be looking at both a web shade and bikini top?

·
Registered
807 Posts
So you are saying I need to be looking at both a web shade and bikini top?
If you plan on running the bikini top all the time there's no need for a shade top (this will not keep the rain out). There's a cable style bikini top that when use with the door surrounds is supposed to keep most of out water.:D
If you have plan one day to take that bikini top off you'll need some kind of shade. I ran just the freedom panels off one day in April and knew I needed a shade not long after an hour driving around. The sun will get to you sooner or later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If i was in your situation i would get the trektop nx...Luckily i bought mine with soft top. I thought about all my options. I live in Ga where its the time of year when it will rain then quit in 20 min and be sunny and hot.

I plain on getting a spidershade to help out with the sun beating down on me at redlights. Plus they have a cool facter because u can get them in different colors....when it rains i will just pull over in a gas station or bridge and put my soft top up....I can put my top up in around 7 min.

If my oem top wears out im getting the trektop.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I have a hard top, a premium factory soft top, and a full Spiderweb shade.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my spiderweb shade and OEM soft top. I had a Trektop NX but traded for the premium top before I even took it out of the box.

Honestly, I hardly ever drop the top fully. I usually put it in Sunrider mode while unzipping the rear window and letting it flop inward.

I run it in this manner so that I can close up the Jeep in a matter of seconds in case of rain. It actually happened this weekend with a crazy down pour....and yes, if you don't velcro the sides (which I don't to anymore unless I'm on the highway)....it takes only a few seconds to close the top.

Get out...
Flip top forward...(2-3 seconds? You can do it from one side of the vehicle...thus the inside stays dry)
Walk to rear and zip up rear window...(6-7 seconds)
Get back in vehicle...
Time elapsed....maybe 10 seconds... Even less if you hurry.

Once you are in, you can latch up top while dry. But you do have to peak your head out to make sure the rubber edge up front does not get twisted when you latch it shut.

You can run a Trektop NX in Sunrider mode as well. I just don't know about riding with the rear window unzipped.

Basically...soft top + spiderwebshade = win

·
Registered
700 Posts
What about the Smittybilt Extended Top? It says it has to used with the channel thingy. Anyone have one? I have the spiderwebshade, and I love it, but I go to Seattle a lot and it is ALWAYS raining there. I thought about buying one of those RainGear tops, but then I can't drive and it has to be parked. Geez, I could be stuck under that for days. LOL

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So based on review of bikini tops and other options I'm now leaning toward a spidershade which should allow for cooler temps inside the jeep and then getting a rain gear cover to keep with me and put on if I get stuck in a sudden rain. I like that this will work with or without doors and be great for overnight situations where I may not have the top or doors with me. This is less than $250 and it seems like I can't get a bikini that would work with doors without adding surrounds...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts