Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my doors off this weekend and went to put them back on and can't get the pins of the 2 front ones to slide back in to the body mounted hinges. While the doors were off I had mirrors in the two top slots and may have overtightened them. When I went to look why the doors weren't sliding back into place, I noticed what appears to be a metal lip about a 1/4 of the way down the slot. The two back doors went on without any issue, so think this little ring is causing the problem, and I think it should be flush the whole way through the pin slot. I am not exactly sure how to solve this issue, without ordering new body mounted hinges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Are you sliding them back in while at approximately a 45 degree angle from the body? There is a sweet spot for them sliding back in easily and it doesn't seem to happen if you have them perpendicular to the body. I don't think that ridge is the issue but others may be able to look to see if that ridge is there in all Jeeps. And I also wouldn't worry about tightening mirrors too tight, that won't mess the hinges up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't run into this issue last summer, but I don't remember that little ridge. Anyone else have pictures looking down the hinges?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Since your back doors went on fine, compare the front door hinges to them..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah true...worst case scenario I have to replace the front hinges. Has anyone removed those from the body of the jeep, appears that they are on there pretty good.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Even if something is messed up, you shouldn't have to replace the whole hinge. Just the bushing insert.

Is it possible that the mirrors had some kind of o-ring that came off and is stuck inside the hinge bushings?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ah true...worst case scenario I have to replace the front hinges. Has anyone removed those from the body of the jeep, appears that they are on there pretty good.
I'm going to venture a guess and say it's not an issue that you'll need to replace your hinges. Grease them up good and try the 45 degree thing. Wiggle a little back and forth and they should drop in.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just literally put my doors back on 5 minutes ago. Theres definitely a sweet spot when it comes to the angle, mine also got caught on the lip onces, took a little patience thats for sure. You would think I'd get better at it every time I go to put them back on, but I think I'm getting worse and worse...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Its possible you just bent the hinge liner. The chances of bending the hinge slots is pretty small. you would have stripped the mirror nut well before that would happen. As far as taking the hinges off, they come off easily enough. 3 bolts each for the top hinge.

Body side hinges are not cheap, so replacing the liners are worth trying.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Yeah, Whoa! Doors out and some mirrors didn't do anything.

Use some lube and maybe run a round Phillips screwdriver down in there see if there is a burr. Get an extra set of hands for stabilization and they'll go back on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I took my doors off this weekend and went to put them back on and can't get the pins of the 2 front ones to slide back in to the body mounted hinges. While the doors were off I had mirrors in the two top slots and may have overtightened them. When I went to look why the doors weren't sliding back into place, I noticed what appears to be a metal lip about a 1/4 of the way down the slot. The two back doors went on without any issue, so think this little ring is causing the problem, and I think it should be flush the whole way through the pin slot. I am not exactly sure how to solve this issue, without ordering new body mounted hinges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2011 JKU and my hinges don't have that little ring. As an aside, I bought quick release mirrors that mount on A pillar and love them. Would keep you from putting stuff in hinges. Others complain they can't see great but i've got no top and no doors so i can see pretty good!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Even if something is messed up, you shouldn't have to replace the whole hinge. Just the bushing insert.

Is it possible that the mirrors had some kind of o-ring that came off and is stuck inside the hinge bushings?
I agree it may be a washer from the mirror. Take a little screw driver, go up from the bottom of the hole, and see if that little ring moves when you give it a tap

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news, took a hammer and screwdriver and scraped the metal ridge off the sides. Was able to get the doors back on, but the both front doors a slightly bent where the pins are located. This not a functional issue, just appearance. Do I just ignore it or is there a way to try an bend it back straight?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I suspect PennDOT! They will resort to anything to interfere with the removal/reinstall of Jeep Doors!

Some sinister shit goin on

·
Registered
344 Posts
I suspect PennDOT! They will resort to anything to interfere with the removal/reinstall of Jeep Doors!

Some sinister shit goin on
LOL

I still can't believe our Jeeps are less safe than motorcycles just because the doors are off.

Not to hijack the thread, but was this the first time the doors were removed? I wonder if something was bent from the factory and it just wasn't noticeable until the doors were removed?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL

I still can't believe our Jeeps are less safe than motorcycles just because the doors are off.

Not to hijack the thread, but was this the first time the doors were removed? I wonder if something was bent from the factory and it just wasn't noticeable until the doors were removed?
Nope, this will be my second year with the jeep and had them on and off a bunch last year.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I blame your girly shoes.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
What exactly is bent?
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'm trying to picture what on the door is bent too?

I think the initial issue is the aluminum inserts being distorted. I think this is the same insert that is driven out, and a new insert driven in to prevent the corrosion that sticks the two together. I'm not a 100% sure, as I keep my door hinges greased, and haven't needed to be replaced. But I'm sure now that I mention it, this removing the doors this summer will be a B.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/kentrol/door-hinge-liners-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk?gclid=Cj0KEQjwldzHBRCfg_aImKrf7N4BEiQABJTPKIYZJYMVKvUGTLcXRqkn0JCFBINKvNm4Pi_FM3CLS0EaAhsc8P8HAQ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts