Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my doors off a few dozen times.

I tried taking them off today, since the weather is awesome.
The doors wont budge with the bolts off. There was 3 of us trying to lift this door and the jeep would come up and the doors didnt budge.

Anyone else have their doors not come off and have any remedies to unlock the sticky hinges?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Kroil?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was told to do a combination of a hammer very lightly tapping the bolts with them a quarter way loose with penetration oil on them, and a jack with only light pressure under the door or someone helping by lifting on them.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
When mine were stuck the first time when I tried removing them I sprayed the hinges with some WD40, swing the door back and forth to help it penetrate everything, let it soak for about an hour and sprayed them again. Then, got a wood block and a floor jack and GENTLY pushed up on the wide part of the door (not the edge) as I gently tapped the wood block with a rubber mallet. After I saw the hinge pins rise an inch or so I removed the jack and finished lifting the door off by hand. The floor jack is mainly there to apply slight upward pressure as you tap with the mallet, not to try and raise the door.

Some people say this is dangerous if the door suddenly breaks free and pops off the hinge. Mine didn't but it might be a good idea to have a helper hold the door as you apply pressure with the jack and tap with the mallet.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
A bottle jack under the (opened) door as close to the hinge end as possible. Put a 2x4 between the door and the jack so you don't damage the door. Pump the jack a few times then wiggle the door back and forth a few inches. Repeat until door is off.

Sand hinges well (posts and sockets) before you put the doors back on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The way I’ve done it is to get a length of 2x4 almost the length of the inner part of the door. Get your hydraulic jack and open the door about a third of the way. Place the 2x4 between the bottom of the inner door frame and the jack and very slowly raise the jack. The door will pop free with no damage. It helps to have two people. One to hold the door and the other working the jack but it can be done with one if you’re careful.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
When mine were stuck the first time when I tried removing them I sprayed the hinges with some WD40, swing the door back and forth to help it penetrate everything, let it soak for about an hour and sprayed them again. Then, got a wood block and a floor jack and GENTLY pushed up on the wide part of the door (not the edge) as I gently tapped the wood block with a rubber mallet. After I saw the hinge pins rise an inch or so I removed the jack and finished lifting the door off by hand. The floor jack is mainly there to apply slight upward pressure as you tap with the mallet, not to try and raise the door.

Some people say this is dangerous if the door suddenly breaks free and pops off the hinge. Mine didn't but it might be a good idea to have a helper hold the door as you apply pressure with the jack and tap with the mallet.
That's exactly how I got mine off before I added the delrin bushings.
I did have the wife hang on to the door, just in case

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
What he said, pop out the old rusted liners and install some Delrin bushings

·
Registered
448 Posts
The way I’ve done it is to get a length of 2x4 almost the length of the inner part of the door. Get your hydraulic jack and open the door about a third of the way. Place the 2x4 between the bottom of the inner door frame and the jack and very slowly raise the jack. The door will pop free with no damage. It helps to have two people. One to hold the door and the other working the jack but it can be done with one if you’re careful.
This is what I did...raise a tiny bit and wiggle the door, repeat...be patient.

Then replace the bushings...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Same action with 1 difference I reinstalled the torq nut about 2 turns to keep the door from popping off completely.. also protected doors with pizza box when striking the nut with hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
The jack under the door trick will get them off but once you decide to put them back on, make sure you have some marine grade lithium to put both into the hinges and on the hinge pins. It will stay in place for a long time no matter the weather and washing is involved. The next time you take them off they will easily lift off.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Anti-seize on the posts and they'll slide off every time. That's what it's made for. I did the jack method when I had one stuck. Another method is to sit in door jam, put knees under door and use your leg muscles and feet to apply upward pressure.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I used a floor jack and 2x4 like above, except I put a bolt back in the hinge half way and used the jack and 2x4 to push on the bolt. That way I didn't mess up my door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts