Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Wrangler back in May, and I'm about to take it on a 10-hour drive up to school, so I'm working on making sure it can survive the trip.

I was making sure I could get my spare tire off, just in case. It turns out I can't. The lugnuts on the spare are a different size than they are on the wheels. None of the ends on an X wrench fit the lugnuts on the spare. From what I can tell, the lugnuts need a 23/32 socket (11/16 is too small, 3/4 is too big).

It seems really odd that an X wrench that has worked on pretty much any other car hasn't worked here . . .

Is there something I'm missing here? Any ideas?

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
Congrats on thinking ahead. This is one of those really sucky things to find out when you get a flat. Which is always late at night, dark stretch of road, raining, grizzly bears, etc.

But to answer your question: welcome to the never-ending world of always buying more tools. It starts with a nice quality socket set, and ends with plasma torches and tube benders. You might as well get started.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
make sure that nice quality socket set has 1/2" drive. gonna need some real torque here.:punk:

·
Administrator
30,779 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but are you sure that they are not locking lug nuts? I have them on my spare so that I don't walk out and find it missing. I only have one that locks on mine, but I do know a couple of people who use all locks. This could be the reason that a) they are a different size and b) why your x-wrench won't work.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
try talking dirty to it.......

or buy a metric 4 way. you might come across somebody else with the same problem some day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts