Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. So yesterday I changed my rear brake shoes, and wheel cylinders as well as all the springs and hardware. I can't get the new drums on over the shoes. I have disconnected the parking brake adjuster completely to replace that. I have taken everything apart and put it back together about 25 times now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I would really appreciate the help. I've read so many threads that all say the same thing and none of it has worked for me. Hopefully someone here can help me fix this.

·
Commercial Member
7,882 Posts
I followed this page, and everything went together perfectly.
https://www.4x4xplor.com/drum-brakes.html

As mentioned above, do you have the adjuster/star wheel retracted all the way in?

Have you verified you have the correct shoes & drums ? Primary shoes in the correct locations?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There should a step 34.5: Retract the adjuster/star wheel by rotating the wheel to shorten the bar. (For some reason I remember one side or the other is reverse thread). Need to check for right parts as well as Panda and Shark mentioned. Also do you have a lip on the inner edge of the brake drum? his maybe causing interference or maybe the drums are way out of round? My money is on the star wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts