Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went mudding today, everything was great until i got stuck in a really deep puddle. i reached over to shift into 4L but i couldnt. i tried putting it in Neutral and then trying, i could get it up there but the light didnt turn on and i was back in 2WD. luckly i went with a friend... its not a reason for concern but it may become one in the future as my plans include lifts and bigger tires. i honestly hadnt tried putting it in 4L until today, cause i havent needed to.
another thing is once i put it back in gear after trying shifting in neutral, when i tried putting it back to 4H it made that noise when you crank the key once the cars on

another thing about my 4WD is that occationally whenever i would get into deep mud or water and i gunned it or pressed on the gas at all my whole dash would shake violently. i dont know how it works and if thats normal but i really dont want to break it.
thanks!
by the way its automatic!

·
Registered
555 Posts
It could be a couple things. Do you have a lift? After I put on a 3.25" lift my 4L would just barely go into gear and I thought about adj the linkage but after playing around for a while it worked itself out. As for being in the mud maybe a chunk was caught along the linkage not allowing it to shift at that specific time? I haven't dealt with that in mud or know if it's possible but being the linkage is open under you vehicle I don't see why not. As for the dash shaking, if you were in mud trying to get out in 4L with all the wheels trying to spin I'd say that's normal. Mess around in your driveway or in front of your house with your 4L and see how it works. I think 4L is important not only when your stuck but going up and nice steep rocky hill.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adawg38 said:
It could be a couple things. Do you have a lift? After I put on a 3.25" lift my 4L would just barely go into gear and I thought about adj the linkage but after playing around for a while it worked itself out. As for being in the mud maybe a chunk was caught along the linkage not allowing it to shift at that specific time? I haven't dealt with that in mud or know if it's possible but being the linkage is open under you vehicle I don't see why not. As for the dash shaking, if you were in mud trying to get out in 4L with all the wheels trying to spin I'd say that's normal. Mess around in your driveway or in front of your house with your 4L and see how it works. I think 4L is important not only when your stuck but going up and nice steep rocky hill.
I do not have a lift and its not that it won't engage I can't pull the lever up. It won't go all the way to where 4L is. I think I should just play with it a bit more like you said. It just might not be catching.
Also I got swamped yesterday and whenever I tried turning it on it would turn on until I would put it in gear. I dont know how I got swamped though, my exhaust was above the water. Any advice on that?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You need to adjust the lever. I don't remember the steps for adjusting it. But if you do a search someone made a writeup about it. "Adjusting t-case lever"

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just to be sure...my wife had a heck of a time getting her TJ into 4L and then I noticed she wasn't moving the lever to the right to get past the detent...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well? What news?

·
Registered
527 Posts
This won't help if your stuck in mud but I only have luck in 4Lo if moving 2 to 5 mph. Shift from 4hi to neutral to 4lo all-in-one smooth motion (no hestiation in neutral) while moving. It works for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This won't help if your stuck in mud but I only have luck in 4Lo if moving 2 to 5 mph. Shift from 4hi to neutral to 4lo all-in-one smooth motion (no hestiation in neutral) while moving. It works for me.
yea thanks, i got it working. it just took a little finesse you could say. it was pretty funny the reactions i was getting driving down the street back and forth... back and forth trying to get it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
probably sounded like you were ripping your front end off on pavement in 4L if you turned at all. 4L and concrete do not mix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts