Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install LED fog lights on my '13 JKU and I'm probably missing something extremely obvious, but I can't remove the top two screws that cover the top of the bumper. It step 7 on these instructions:

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/212401.pdf

Whenever I use a screwdriver the piece just spins around and never moves. I have the problem on both sides. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
They are just plastic screw type rivets. They suck.. drill 'em, pry 'em or do what ya have to do to get them out.. then pull the cover off.

After that, hit up your local auto parts store for a similar replacement, cause the current ones will get screwed up when removing.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yep. Just destroy what's there and replace it.

Or.... take the air dam off and go in from underneath.

Then pitch the air dam.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
A tip I found that works is to screw a dry wall screw in them, and then pull them out with pliers of some type. Then pry out the the other piece. Then reuse them. Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I found that if you apply no pressure, just let the weight of the screw driver do the work, and turn they come out. If at any time you spun them then, yep, drill them out and get new ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
+1 screw in drywall screw use a pair of pliers to remove it. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm trying to install LED fog lights on my '13 JKU and I'm probably missing something extremely obvious, but I can't remove the top two screws that cover the top of the bumper. It step 7 on these instructions:

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/212401.pdf

Whenever I use a screwdriver the piece just spins around and never moves. I have the problem on both sides. Any help would be appreciated.
On a side topic, can you please tell me about the fog lights? I am planning to mount my winch in the bumper and I will be looking for lights that are not as deep as the OEM units, as I've read that the OEM fogs won't fit. Are these ones from QT as deep (towards the rear of the vehicle) as the original ones?

Is it possible to take a side-side pic of the OEM light and this new one? Can you tell me the distance from the mounting eye to the back of the light assembly for both of these lights?

Thanks,
M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. Ill try the drywall screw method and if it doesn't work I'll just rip them out.

I can do a side by side picture of them once I get around to doing this, I have a pretty busy week and weekend ahead of me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drywall screw method worked great!!

And here is a picture of the OEM side by side with the LED light. The LED's are definitely more shallow than the OEM lights.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts