Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the body mount bolts to put on ACE rock sliders and can't for the life of me get gem to losen one bit. Am I missing something? Any tips?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a hollow metal mop handle that fit over my socket wrench for extra leverage. That sort of broke up what looked like locktight. Once I loosened it I needed to grab a screwdriver to push down a bit so the bolt would "bite" when I used the wrench. I am a wuss... So I really had to put my back I to it but keep at it and you will get it.

I also used the box the came in to hold the rail when I put it on as another tip. You'll get it, keep at it and happy jeeping. Pics when you are done :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Do a search for installing ace, and you will find how others were able to solve the problem. From what I read, you need to use something to hold the bolt still, while you take the nut off. Some used a pry bar to jam it down and hold it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity, would picking up an inexpensive impact wrench do the trick or is this something that needs to be done by hand?

As for the box, I cut it open when I painted them with bed liner yo catch the overspray so can't use those. Lol

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I don't know about the impact wrench, since I didn't have a problem with the bolts on my jeep. I used a jack to help hold the rails up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the bolt spinning or are you having problems getting it to turn? When I did mine I had both problems, I couldn't get the bolt to turn (like what sometimes happens with the pickle jar). I used the mop "pipe" for that. Once it did start to move, it eventually just spun. When that happened I needed to apply downward pressure by wedging a screwdriver to pry it down while turning the wrench.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure about the impact wrench to be honest. My only power tool is a drill (I am not "handy") and the angle grifter I bought to get my sliders on. I would try a longer mop handle/pipe to give you the extra leverage. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There is a little clip thingie thats there from the factory to hold the bolt up during assembly. Just pull down while turning & it will come out (I used a pry bar). & sometimes you have to use a lot of pressure to get them back in too for the same reason. The little thingies came out on two of my bolts & stayed up there on the other two. I'm a girl & did it myself with no air tools - you boys shouldn't have any problems!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity, would picking up an inexpensive impact wrench do the trick or is this something that needs to be done by hand?

As for the box, I cut it open when I painted them with bed liner yo catch the overspray so can't use those. Lol

I've got a cheap-o impact driver and a good 2' breaker bar and I find the breaker bar is far more useful. Just my $0.02.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts