Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and don't know if I'm posting in correct place. It's nearly impossible for me to see at night in reverse. I couldn't find much in forums. LED cubes to rear bumper? Dont want to replace entire light. Suggestions, pics would be appreciated!!!

2000 TJ Sport
15x12.5x33
manual trans

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,592 Posts
I added LED bulbs in the stock housings. Helped a bit, but I wanted more so I wired two cheap LED cubes to a separate switch and attached them to my hitch (on the two holes where you would normally hook your safety chains to).

Now I can see for daysssss. No pictures of them on, but they work great. Actually used them last night when I went night mountain biking to load/unload my bike. I wired them so they are independent of my reverse gear, so A) I don't blind everyone in parking lots and B) so I can use them when my jeep is off as work lights.

Other options would be cutting into your bumper and fabbing up some cubes/bar to fit flush in there. Or buy new housings that are LED and will be much brighter. I don't tow anything so I never use those two existing holes anyways. Works perfect for my application.

I couldn't find much in forums
Oh and FYI, there was a thread about this exact topic started like 4 days ago..lol I think it's still on page 1 of this forum section. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/suggestion-for-improved-backup-lights-2384127.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's an idea I was thinking about. I would prob have them wired so that if in reverse, they would come on too!

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,592 Posts
Yeah, that's an idea I was thinking about. I would prob have them wired so that if in reverse, they would come on too!
That's an option, but check out how annoyingly bright they are before going that route. Mine would piss a lot of people off if they came on everytime I threw her in reverse. ex) backing out of a city parking spot onto a main road. Only takes an extra 0.3 seconds to flip a switch, plus having the ability to use it when your jeep is off or isn't in reverse has been very useful for me.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Would be really easy to wire in a spdt switch so they could be on, off, or automatic...

Personally I have quadratec led tail lights and LOVE em... mutch better visibility for me plus less chance of being rearended due to brighter tail/brake lights

·
Registered
264 Posts
The pics below show what I did. Cut a couple cheap flush mount LEDs into the bumper. I wired them to a switch on the dash. I've been behind guys that have them wired into the reverse circuit and I hate it. Blinding flash of light every time they shift to drive. This way they are on when I want, off when I want.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts