Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: The other night while my wife and I were out and about, Sue dropped something on the floor. Being dark out she couldn't find it. I turned on the dome lights thinking that there might be some lights towards the floor like there are in cars. Nope. Are those lights an option? If so are there unused plugs in the harness that I can plug some lights into? I'd probably use some waterproof lights from a boat store just in case I ever do any playing in the water. I just retired from 36+ years at AMC/Chrysler and I know that wiring harnesses are usually equipped for plugs for all options, but many of them are not used.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
With a 2010 jeep I sure hope it comes standard, interior lights are something that most all vehicles come with. I'd get under your dash and take a look, bulbs may be blown/loose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
cant see floor in dark

i have a 2010 jk and i dont have lights on floor either..just dome. Is thete suppposed to be light s that light up the floor in the front. It sems stange there is not

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
I don't know about the unused plugs in the harness, but I use this. Cost me $5 at Home Depot. Glows blue when charging, which lights up my console area. Pull it out, and it is a flash/strobe light. Very bright for it's size.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Why don't you carry some flashlights ??

I have a lantern in my recovery box and two flashlights in the cab--Then you can easily look under seats !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
I'm working on a mod to put some flexible led strips in my center console and under my dash for just this reason
Post pics and instructions when you do. Sounds interesting and doable

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
No under dash lights in my 10 Rubi so I keep a small 4'' led flash light in the console. It works great and it can be used front, back, under the hood, etc. Interestingly enough my YJ has under dash floor lights.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I got one of those coleman 1 watt LED headlights. It has three settings on the brightness of the main light and the high setting will come in real handy if I have to do work on the side of the road during a breakdown. It also has a red LED and blue LED; great for map reading and such so as not to destroy night vision. It was a little pricey at $24 at wally world but it is definitely the Tim Allen model...more power! It takes three AAA batteries, is small, it can be directed up or down while on your forehead and is always pointed in the right direction while you work on something, that is, if your head swivels the same as mine ;). I use it a lot while loading the jeep at night. It doesn't matter what the trip, kayaking, snorkeling, SCUBA, biking - when I get up before the sun does to load or do it the night before, having light everywhere I go to get stuff - in the garage, in the trailer - everywhere I go is lit up brightly. I keep it in the center console. I am a gizmo guy. I have tons of them. I have tried all types of flashlights and carry several in the jeep. The headlight, which I added recently, I have been finding most useful. I also have a blue clip on light that I clip to the windshield tie down loop that emits a blue light (LED). It kinda looks like an eyeball and can swivel in any direction. That one lights up the floor and my passenger uses it once in a while if trying to read directions for me or whatever the reason. The blue light is less distracting. So, there are a lot of options. The camping section at wally world has a huge selection of nothing but flashlights. Check it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Get yourself some LEDs and wire them into the dome circuit. I did this with a couple VisionX tantrum pucks left over from my rock light install and couldn't live without them. Others have used little wired LEDs from their local auto parts store. Simply tap power off the yellow wire with white stripe in the bundle of wires that is under the passenger side footwell. There is a ground bolt there too, for the ground wire. They will come on and fade just like the dome lights and can be turned on at the stalk as well. I recently added a few more bulbs under the rear seat. Super easy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get yourself some LEDs and wire them into the dome circuit. I did this with a couple VisionX tantrum pucks left over from my rock light install and couldn't live without them. Others have used little wired LEDs from their local auto parts store. Simply tap power off the yellow wire with white stripe in the bundle of wires that is under the passenger side footwell. There is a ground bolt there too, for the ground wire. They will come on and fade just like the dome lights and can be turned on at the stalk as well. I recently added a few more bulbs under the rear seat. Super easy.
Do you have any pics of your install?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:wavey: I tell people all the time to carry a flashlight in their vehicle, but at this time I don't have one in mine. I had a dual switch Streamlight Stinger DS LED that I bought for work for about $130.00, but both of the switches quit working. I bought a $5.00 LED flashlight, and I can get more light from a candle. I think I'm going to go back to the old fashioned ones. They always seemed to work. I'm also going to try a couple ideas I have read in this posting that sound interesting. On my Goldwing I have red, blue, amber, purple, and green LEDs. Still have plenty I can install in the Wrangler. I remember a few years ago we went through Kentucky and the Highway Patrol there were really looking at the red and blues on the back of the Goldwing, but they didn't say anything. Since it was converted to a trike I have not reinstalled them...yet.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wavey: Seadog. I really like your idea of the light you posted. Might do it tomorrow because today it's snowing and blowing. My sister outside of Minneapolis Minnesota (in Shakopee) said yesterday they got 21.5 inches.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Wally i posted a thread back in october "needed cargo light"might give you some ideas i also put interior lights on dash you can stick them anywhere i taped into the light circuit in the window switches it was an orange wire hope this helps

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
:wavey: Went and bought 2 of the lights Seadog posted. They should work just fine.
They don't work in all cars. Wouldn't work in my wife's Honda civic. The hot tab in the lighter outlet is recessed too deep.

One other thing... the blue LED part seems to be directional. I just twisted the whole light in the outlet until it quit shining in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:wavey: I found the lights up front where they have a variety of different flashlights. On thing I found when I got home is that I put mine in and now I can't get it out. I have pulled with both hands. Won't come out. I even pulled hard enough to pull it apart, and the part in the dash stays there. I tried removing it with the key on, and with the key off. Still in the dash. The first time I tried it, it came out ok. Now the second time it won't. Will check it out again after I get off work in the morning. I must be doing something wrong. Will be able to see more in the morning.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts