Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
So I'm getting a little older and I need more light at night (especially in the rain)! I tried these headlights on my 2015 2 Door JK, but they were way too bright (brighter than most highbeams) and I don't want to blind other drivers because I hate when they do it to me! But...the stock headlights are way too dim. Can anyone recommend a model of headlight that is more like what most people have on average? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
There's a H4 conversion for YJs (rectangular headlights). I would guess that there's a H4 conversion also available for JKs. The H4 conversion for my old YJ made an amazing difference over the original sealed beams. I did my conversion several years ago when the H4 conversion was right at $100.00 and quality LED conversions were $500.00 and up.

After looking at the link you posted, you may already have H4 headlights. Could it be that the LED lights simply needed to be aimed down a bit while on low beam?

I understand the need for more light as a person ages. I've been retired for over 10 years. The H4s work well for me. I've been told that amber colored glasses help night vision, but I haven't tried them.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Rjmurcek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks both for the ideas, I'll look into adjusting the position a little better too.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi all
So I'm getting a little older and I need more light at night (especially in the rain)! I tried these headlights on my 2015 2 Door JK, but they were way too bright (brighter than most highbeams) and I don't want to blind other drivers because I hate when they do it to me! But...the stock headlights are way too dim. Can anyone recommend a model of headlight that is more like what most people have on average? Thanks in advance!
I am 63 and I have had those exact headlights for 3 years and have never had anybody flash me for blinding them. If you have headlights with a decent cutoff and they are aimed correctly that is what matters. My wife's 2018 Kia Sorento has HID's and they put out way more light than mine and they are brighter. Best headlights ever aimed wrong still blind people. Stay down in the color spectrum towards 4500 K, warmer and not as harsh, better for inclement weather than the ultra white at 6000 K and higher.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with Koito 7" glass euro spec headlights, with an H13 to H4 conversion harness. That, coupled with a GE Nighthawk Xenon (now called Tungsram +120) bulb gives me a very nice output for halogen lights...plus I like the classic round headlight looks compared to most LED options. I did have to adjust them horizontally which required me to add new adjuster screws for both sides while removing the part that is in there from the factory. The end result was worth it. I don't like the super white light that most LED's create and living in the Northeast I wanted to make sure that the snow would be less likely to stick to the housing. But for superior light output it is hard to beat a good HID or LED setup. I am perfectly happy with halogen's and some auxiliary lighting, but if I did change to LED I like the Quadratec Gen II's as they look more like a halogen with their reflector housing. KC also makes some nice looking ones but fairly expensive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
73 here and getting cataracts. I get star bursts in my eyes at night from oncoming traffic or lights.. I pull over and let the wife drive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Many people tend to aim LED (and HID) lights too high because they're not used to the sharp cutoff, but the cutoff is necessary to avoid blinding other drivers. Adjust them properly and you won't get flashed, and then get used to using high beams when necessary. You'll be flipping back and forth more than in the past but that's just a characteristic/consequence of the brighter lighting system.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had my Truck'lites for 8 years and I'm very satisfied with them. I know there are better ones now but they have worked well for me. Cut-off is decent but they do leave an X pattern on the road but they don't blind oncoming drivers.

this may be a newer version that doesn't require the adapter harness.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi all
Being an older guy as well, maybe it's time to see your optometrist? Could be time to have the your cataracts dealt with? Everyone I've spoke to is AMAZED at the improvement in their sight after a simple procedure. They could also put lenses in at the same time, and you can dump your glasses as well.

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
DanteJosh - it's not the brightness, it's the pattern. First park you Jeep on a level plane about 25' from a vertical wall if you can. Look at the light pattern. You should have a bright cutoff on low beams. If you do, you need to adjust your headlights, not replace the.

What ever you do, don't go to the H4 conversion. Yes, the H4 conversion is better than the factory H13 headlights. The H4 and H13 refer to the bulb and electrical connection. The H4 headlight electrical connection has been around since at least the 1930's and was used in the U.S. on sealed beam headlights well into the 1980's. In fact, the Jeep TJ was still using that connection with sealed beams until 2006. The JK converted to replaceable bulbs with the H13 in 2007. Nothing really wrong with the H13 bulbs, they were used on my 2006 Ram and gave good light (but not great light). The only thing better about the H4 conversions is the reflector housing is better but not nearly as great as LEDs.

I went the route of the H4 conversion on both my 2003 TJ and 2015 Sahara. I was pleased with the headlights until I traded the '15 in on a '17 Chief which came from the factory with LED headlights and fog lights. The difference between the light output was startling. So much so I put the Quadratec GenII LED headlights in my TJ (250 at the time).

Back to the light pattern on the wall. If rather than a clean cutoff, you have a scattering of light all over, that is not unusual for inexpensive (cheap) LED headlights. Many of the quality LED headlighs are in the $300 to $600 range. Some of the inexpensive (cheap) LED headlights have poor light output as well, not being a whole lot better than the H13 bulb headlights that came in your Jeep.

Here is another discussion thread on headlights - Best Headlight Replacement?

·
Premium Member
10,127 Posts
When it comes to rainy/snowy condition many LED lights are not really that good because they are to white. A warm yellow which many old halogen headlights where was much better in bad weather but when the weather is nice those old headlights don't compete. It would be real nice if this if one of this headlight companies made a headlight that could be dialed to yellow or white depending on condition. I the meantime I suggest swapping your white fog lights for a true yellow fog light.

·
Registered
93 hi-po 2.5 AX5 RE 2.5" lift with 31" speed enhancing tires
1,219 Posts
For $55, I'd look into these. They are plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Being an older guy as well, maybe it's time to see your optometrist? Could be time to have the your cataracts dealt with? Everyone I've spoke to is AMAZED at the improvement in their sight after a simple procedure. They could also put lenses in at the same time, and you can dump your glasses as well.
Mrs. Lucky just had this done. She's happy as can be about the result. Now all she needs are readers for books and screens. Plus, now, she doesn't have me drive at night when we take her car.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: dgsimick

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
Mrs. Lucky just had this done. She's happy as can be about the result. Now all she needs are readers for books and screens. Plus, now, she doesn't have me drive at night when we take her car.

Good Luck, L.M.
Had this done 4 years ago. Almost got back to 20/20 (got to 20/30) and back to wearing sunglasses (plain lenses) when driving in bright sunlight. As a fiend says, it will change your life in a good way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all, just got my eyes checked and it was pretty much 'dry contacts' from reading a screen all the time. But I'm still replacing the stock headlights, and I appreciate everyone's input on a good replacement! I'll check out the fog lights, too. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks all, just got my eyes checked and it was pretty much 'dry contacts' from reading a screen all the time. But I'm still replacing the stock headlights, and I appreciate everyone's input on a good replacement! I'll check out the fog lights, too. Thanks
You're making a HUGE mistake, you really need to take medical advice from a bunch of random jeep owners on the internet.. /snark

As always, do what works best for you, and we'll be happy to tell you why it's wrong. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are in a state that sees snowy/foggy/rainy conditions, it's better to have amber fog lights, even if it's LED. I tested the color in a sleet snowy weather with an LED flashlight and an amber translucent sheet paper and found that it's easier on the eyes and less glare to my point of view. White LED lights makes your eyes hurt like hell and see spots for a while. Also for headlights, again on states with said weather, if you get LED headlights, make sure it is heated because ice form up and blocks the light. Halogen never had problems with ice formations.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts