Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around today and heard a rattle coming from under my hood:eek:

anyways i lift the hood and see that my prop rod that keeps the hood up is just flopping around under the hood. It appears that when I gave someone a jump the other day I must have snapped the little catch that holds the rod onto the hood. It's been really cold lately and must have been brittle. actually I went to put some wiper fluid in my fiances Scion and broke the same part on her car too (I've just been breakin' $h!t all day!)

so does anyone know what that part is called? where I can buy it? how much it costs?

right now I have a piece of duct tape holding the rod in place in both the Jeep and the Scion.

I am sure that I'll probably get some harassment about wanting to buy a new part when duct tape is probably superior, but I don't want to be messing around with tape every time I need to look under the hood.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
I looked it up in the parts catalog and it shows the part number as being J4007456. Googled the number and found this one Hood Prop Retainer Not sure why it lists it as only being for a YJ though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it may just be one of those generic things that they have used for years and never bothered updating it in their system because its a $5 part.

·
Registered
136 Posts
just take the prop rod out and when you need to look under your hood you can lay your hood on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
just take the prop rod out and when you need to look under your hood you can lay your hood on the windshield.
Yup, that's what I do! :punk:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts