Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching but can't seem to find any similar occurrences.

My shifts have been smooth and effortless until 2 days ago. I drive the Jeep for work and all of the sudden I found that I had trouble getting it in gear. Then shortly after I couldn't get the stick to engage in any of the gears like the clutch pedal wasn't depressed. So I rattled the shifter around thinking maybe it was obstructed and after a bit of play I was able to get it in again. A short time later same problem it wouldn't engage in any of the 5 gear slots or reverse. I shut it off, waited a period of time and then it was ok again. I left it at my office last night and when I got in this morning it was fine. Drove an hour down the road and it locked me out again. I let it rest for 20 minutes and it was back to shifting but it was a little rough to get in. I haven't heard any grinding of the gears. The clutch still feels like it has good pressure and no slipping but I am now hearing and feeling a kind of pop when I press the clutch in.

I have an 01' 4.0 5 speed with 173,000

I've heard throw out bearing and read a little about master/slave cylinders could be possible problems. Any ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I"m no expert at diagnostics but I have replaced a number of clutches and transmissions. If your clutch pedal feels normal it sounds more likely to be a transmission issue. Maybe the synchros are going out. If you are having a hardtime pressing the clutch pedal down or are feeling resistance and popping then you may have a throwout bearing or clutch disc problem. If the pedal feels weak maybe it is just your slave. Have you looked for leaking fluid near the slave. Check on the driver's side of the bellhousing. You will see the slave attached with two bolts to the bellhousing. Check it for signs of fluid leakage.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gt500- sorry off subject op- do u have gt500-i have 2012 gt500- weird if u did.
Op- check like he said. Let us know what u see so we can assist more

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I"m no expert at diagnostics but I have replaced a number of clutches and transmissions. If your clutch pedal feels normal it sounds more likely to be a transmission issue. Maybe the synchros are going out. If you are having a hardtime pressing the clutch pedal down or are feeling resistance and popping then you may have a throwout bearing or clutch disc problem. If the pedal feels weak maybe it is just your slave. Have you looked for leaking fluid near the slave. Check on the driver's side of the bellhousing. You will see the slave attached with two bolts to the bellhousing. Check it for signs of fluid leakage.
I'll check that out thanks. I read a little that it's likely not the synchros if all the gears acting up at the same time.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
but I am now hearing and feeling a kind of pop when I press the clutch in.

I have an 01' 4.0 5 speed with 173,000

I've heard throw out bearing and read a little about master/slave cylinders could be possible problems. Any ideas?
Sounds like either the throwout bearing or the pressure plate is just about done. Most likely time for a clutch, especially if there hasn't been a clutch replacement in 173,000 miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gt500- sorry off subject op- do u have gt500-i have 2012 gt500- weird if u did.
Op- check like he said. Let us know what u see so we can assist more
No. I have a '66 coupe but I've always wanted a classic GT500. The new ones are awesome as well. I've used this screen name on boards for years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like either the throwout bearing or the pressure plate is just about done. Most likely time for a clutch, especially if there hasn't been a clutch replacement in 173,000 miles.
:thumb:

I've been looking at info for clutch replacements recently (have done them years ago on my previous cars) and one comment stuck in my head with what you described. I am pretty sure them comment was about the throw out bearing wearing through the fingers on the pressure plate. The bearing would have to be completely bad for that to happen.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
:thumb:

I've been looking at info for clutch replacements recently (have done them years ago on my previous cars) and one comment stuck in my head with what you described. I am pretty sure them comment was about the throw out bearing wearing through the fingers on the pressure plate. The bearing would have to be completely bad for that to happen.
I've never heard of one wearing through the pressure plate fingers, but it could be breaking apart or freezing up with heat, or fingers or springs on the pp could be broken...really hard to say.

I replaced my clutch a couple of months ago with a LUK clutch that I got from Parts Geeks for $93 and free shipping. 1994-1995, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit - LUK 05-065 - - PartsGeek.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
can you check the clutch fluid level on the TJ.. its been a while since I own one... should be near the master.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like 4Jeepn said: check fluid level. I just had the same thing, saw low fluid level, checked the system, and found that slave cilinder was leaking. So replaced it and did bleeding twice. Worked fine again then.

Really before getting started with replacing anything, I'd always try bleeding by using the slave cilinder first. If it doesn't help, fine, you can still start replacing parts. But it might very well do the trick, and if it does you saved yourselves some unnneccesary costs.

Good luck!
Martin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like 4Jeepn said: check fluid level. I just had the same thing, saw low fluid level, checked the system, and found that slave cilinder was leaking. So replaced it and did bleeding twice. Worked fine again then.

Really before getting started with replacing anything, I'd always try bleeding by using the slave cilinder first. If it doesn't help, fine, you can still start replacing parts. But it might very well do the trick, and if it does you saved yourselves some unnneccesary costs.

Good luck!
Martin
I'm going to look that over as well. I got the jeep from my father in law and he informed me today that the clutch has never been replaced so I'm sure either way it won't hurt. I also just got in 3 quarts of Redline MTL so I'll change out that gear lube too. I guess I'll give her the works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts