Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
This is my first post, so please go easy.
I bought my 2nd Jeep last year. It’s a 2006 TJ Sport, yellow, 75K miles with 4.0L I6. It drives great.
My Jeep has 15x8 wheels on 31 x 10.5 tires. These came on the Jeep.
My intentions with this Jeep: daily driver, weekend warrior (no rock crawling). I would like to go no more than 2 - 2-1/2” lift to avoid the SYE/drive line deal (learned a hard lesson on my first jeep). To avoid regearing (has 3.73s), I would like to run 32” x 11.50 tires (I know I may be pushing it). I think I will call it day here. The Jeep will eventually go to my freshman daughter in 2-3 years, if the grades are good.
I have begun the arduous process of researching lift kits.
My dilemma at this point is trying to determine if the Jeep has a lift on it, taking into consideration the tires that are on it. I would like to know if anyone knows the stock height of a Jeep TJ. Currently the Jeep is 20-½” measured at the bottom of the body near the front of the doors. The Jeep is level side to side. Top of the rear bumper is 23-3/4” on the right, 24” on the left. The front bumper is 24-1/2” on the right and 24-5/8” on the left. (Bumpers are stock) The jeep’s overall stance is pretty good.
I have been under this vehicle front to back. It looks as though the coils are stock. There are no spacers on top of the coils, no MML, and no trans case drop. The shocks are not stock from what I can tell.
I am thinking the Jeep looks like it might be on a 2” coil spring lift alone (if its lifted).
Can you count the coils of the springs and determine if they are stock? If so, how many on the stock springs?
Can you determine if the Jeep is lifted by measuring the body and bumpers?
Any help would be appreciated.
MarkS

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Frankly I would not give a lifted vehicle to a child/young person to drive. While a well executed lifted TJ is not dangerous or particularly unstable, the laws of physics are as they are. The higher the vehicle sits, the more likely it is to go greasy side up. Most of us as we lift the Jeep by consequence of fitting larger tires and the needed lesser backspacing on the wheels also provides an increased track. This somewhat negates the higher CG. Somewhat----.

J

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
As Shark_13 mentioned, stock springs are 12" in front and 8" in the rear with the jeep sitting at ride height. It could also have budget boost spacers on top of the springs which would be part of any lift measurement.

The jeep could also have a body lift on it. Check the clearance between the tub and the frame where the frame goes up over the rear axle inside a rear tire. Stock clearance there is about 1/4"...anything more than.that is the amount of body lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Shark_13 mentioned, stock springs are 12" in front and 8" in the rear with the jeep sitting at ride height. It could also have budget boost spacers on top of the springs which would be part of any lift measurement.

The jeep could also have a body lift on it. Check the clearance between the tub and the frame where the frame goes up over the rear axle inside a rear tire. Stock clearance there is about 1/4"...anything more than.that is the amount of body lift.
Thanks for the numbers this helps. I checked and for the coils its 13" in front, 9" in rear. As for the BL, the gap in the rear as you mentioned is at 1/2". I checked some of the body mount points along the frame rail. The bushings measure at 1/2" there as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frankly I would not give a lifted vehicle to a child/young person to drive. While a well executed lifted TJ is not dangerous or particularly unstable, the laws of physics are as they are. The higher the vehicle sits, the more likely it is to go greasy side up. Most of us as we lift the Jeep by consequence of fitting larger tires and the needed lesser backspacing on the wheels also provides an increased track. This somewhat negates the higher CG. Somewhat----.

J
Thanks 3X4X4. As the plan is to turn over the Jeep, she changes her mind like a typical woman. This bad boy may wind as my toy after all. I also forgot to mention the wheels have 3-3/4" backspacing, so would fit with no rubbing and will track wider, look meaner, and most of all provide more grip on the trail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the above findings, it sounds as if it may be stock. What do you all think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pic of front coil and rear coil:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
H&R makes a 1" coil for the wrangler, but all the springs I've ever seen of theirs have their logo (usually in white) stamped on them. Maybe they're 2" springs with sag, or maybe your measurements were off? I see evidence of coil bind on the rear. I'd investigate that if it were mine. Cycle the axles and check the bumpstops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks UFO. The suspension has been painted with flat black.
Coil bind, is that serious or can it be "budgeted in"?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you measured from spring perch to perch and got 13" they are most likely stock springs. The springs themselves probably measure about 12".

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Thanks UFO. The suspension has been painted with flat black. Coil bind, is that serious or can it be "budgeted in"?
It may not be that bad. If I'm seeing paint and not coating it probably looks like more to me than it is. I'm also looking on an iPhone screen and not a large picture. When the coil compresses completely, the coils hit each other. If the bumpstops don't contact and bottom out prior to coil bind there can be some issues but to what degree depends on the occurrence and its surrounding variables. Slow and off road vs fast and on pavement make a big difference as to any "dangers". Again, I may just be seeing minor scuffing in the paint rather than an eroded coating as I previously thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts