Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 JKU. I have the auto temp control A/C which has been great, but today I didn't want the A/C on. So, I turned the A/C off but kept the temp set to cool. Well, it was still blowing ice cold. Turned A/C on again manually, then back off, STILL ice cold. Turned off Jeep, same thing.

All of the auto temp controls are OFF. Anybody have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Push the face of the temperature button and the little orange AC light will go out. Your AC is off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh how I wish that was true! Orange light is OFF, A/C is ON. Compressor still running, still blowing ice cold. Orange light off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mmm.. I admit I don't know much about this, but here's my $0.02 from what I've observed on my Jeep Liberty '06

Even when the A/C is off (and I don't have auto temp control), but I have the heat setting turned to cool/cold, the air that blows is relatively cold vs normal outside temp.. It however does get far colder when I turn the A/C on.

Maybe any of you guys who know more about cooling systems / Air conditioners can piece the puzzle?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Are you running the defrost? Back in the day when ac was a new thing the compressor only ran if you had the ac on. Now when winter came and you didn't use the ac anymore the compressor would seize up after months of no use. Due to this auto makers added a feature that would kick the compressor on when in the defrost settings. That way it got a workout in the winter and wouldn't seize up. Now if you only have the floor or dash vents on it shouldn't have the compressor on. If you select defrost or combo of the floor and defrost the compressor will be on. The reason it's the defrost is some people use the dash and floor settings as vents for fresh air but they assumed if you we're using the defrost you would have the temp control to hot which would counteract the cold air from the ac.. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Compressor runs in defrost because it pushes drier air than straight outside air. That's how it defogs so well.

It kills me that most people don't know this. If you don't want your compressor to run turn your vent dial off one of the two defrost options.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You are both correct.
The AC system would fail if it did not run all year. Turning on the compressor when the defrosters are on was an easy way for manufactures to keep the system lubricated year round.

You'll need to bust out your psychometric charts for the next part.

Warm weather defrost - Warm air holds more water vapor than cool air. When the AC is running the cold evaporator coil condenses water vapor in the air flow and it drips out the bottom of your car which causes the air to dry out by reducing the relative humidity.

Cold weather defrost - Cold air can't hold water vapor like warm air. When you get in your cold car and start breathing, you can see all the water vapor in your breath. You turn on the heat and the warmer air is able to absorb the water vapor in the air and on the inside of your windshield. Warmer air will have a lower relative humidity than cold air with the same amount of water vapor suspended in the air. Your compressor is running, but it's not doing anything in this case.

To the OP: Turn your temp up if you are cold. If you are in auto temp control it will turn on "auto"-matically. If just the mode knob is set to auto, then the compressor with also run automatically when needed. If you are not in auto mode and not in defrost mode, then something is broke.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mine does the same thing. blows ice cold air after the A/C is turned off, and not just temporarily. I never use the Auto setting.

·
Registered
765 Posts
mine only blows AC cold air -if as mentioned- the dial setting is on one of the two defroster options... with "AC" off [orange light off]

me no have fancy-smanchy auto temp equipped wrangler. good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh how I wish that was true! Orange light is OFF, A/C is ON. Compressor still running, still blowing ice cold. Orange light off.
Guys: SinCityJets is right. Mine has the same issue in addition to a few others (won't turn off compressor after pressing the button to turn it off, won't blow to the floor unless I turn the vent selector dial all the way to defrost first, won't adjust temperature unless I turn the temp dial all the way to the right). These issues occur consistently when I use the remote start. After two trips to the dealer they did a computer update related to calibration of the doors that control the airflow to the vents, then when that did not resolve the issues they backordered the control panel which includes the three dials. Will update u when they install it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guys: SinCityJets is right. Mine has the same issue in addition to a few others (won't turn off compressor after pressing the button to turn it off, won't blow to the floor unless I turn the vent selector dial all the way to defrost first, won't adjust temperature unless I turn the temp dial all the way to the right). These issues occur consistently when I use the remote start. After two trips to the dealer they did a computer update related to calibration of the doors that control the airflow to the vents, then when that did not resolve the issues they backordered the control panel which includes the three dials. Will update u when they install it.

Speedguy I have had the same issues with my 2012 Sahara w/remote start. The dealership has replaced my control panel and it didn't fix the issue with the A/C compressor running when using the remote start. They (and Chrysler to)told me that this is the way that the vehicle is supposed to run.:banghead:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Speedguy I have had the same issues with my 2012 Sahara w/remote start. The dealership has replaced my control panel and it didn't fix the issue with the A/C compressor running when using the remote start. They (and Chrysler to)told me that this is the way that the vehicle is supposed to run.:banghead:
Hmmm...not according to the User Manual (page 402, bottom row of the table). Also, if it REALLY was operating "the way it was designed to operate", why did your and my service shops spend so much time and money troubleshooting the issue and attempting to repair it by replacing parts using trial-and-error? Sounds like they gave you the runaround after determining either A. they don't know how to fix the issue and won't admit it, or B. they are unwilling to fix it and won't admit it.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Hmmm...not according to the User Manual (page 402, bottom row of the table). Also, if it REALLY was operating "the way it was designed to operate", why did your and my service shops spend so much time and money troubleshooting the issue and attempting to repair it by replacing parts using trial-and-error? Sounds like they gave you the runaround after determining either A. they don't know how to fix the issue and won't admit it, or B. they are unwilling to fix it and won't admit it.
I saw this reported in 2012. Regardless of what setting you leave the AC in, when you remote start the AC comes on. Have to dig up the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_PjD6Gtf9o

On a related note, I've noticed my AC click on when I just had the blower on face and feet. Combined with the random AC turn offs, whoever programmed the air control module should be fired.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good grief guys, turn the temp up. The auto setting does exactly what it is supposed to - maintains the temp it's set at. Turn it to 20c (70F) or higher and you should feel warmer air fairly quickly. That's how mine works. I only use auto when it's really hot out, or really cold out because once it gets things to the temp you set, it turns the fan down automatically.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are both correct.
The AC system would fail if it did not run all year. Turning on the compressor when the defrosters are on was an easy way for manufactures to keep the system lubricated year round.

You'll need to bust out your psychometric charts for the next part.

Warm weather defrost - Warm air holds more water vapor than cool air. When the AC is running the cold evaporator coil condenses water vapor in the air flow and it drips out the bottom of your car which causes the air to dry out by reducing the relative humidity.

Cold weather defrost - Cold air can't hold water vapor like warm air. When you get in your cold car and start breathing, you can see all the water vapor in your breath. You turn on the heat and the warmer air is able to absorb the water vapor in the air and on the inside of your windshield. Warmer air will have a lower relative humidity than cold air with the same amount of water vapor suspended in the air. Your compressor is running, but it's not doing anything in this case.

To the OP: Turn your temp up if you are cold. If you are in auto temp control it will turn on "auto"-matically. If just the mode knob is set to auto, then the compressor with also run automatically when needed. If you are not in auto mode and not in defrost mode, then something is broke.
You, I like you, very good information.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2013 JKU. I have the auto temp control A/C which has been great, but today I didn't want the A/C on. So, I turned the A/C off but kept the temp set to cool. Well, it was still blowing ice cold. Turned A/C on again manually, then back off, STILL ice cold. Turned off Jeep, same thing.

All of the auto temp controls are OFF. Anybody have any ideas??
Its called auto temp control for a reason. If the inside of the jeep is warmer than the dial setting and outside air conditions it will turn on the ac to make up the difference. why else would you get auto temp control?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Here is a video on You Tube of what I am experiencing.
[/url]
I noticed during your test, the temp dial was on the coldest setting. Can you test this again while putting it on slightly cool and slightly warm? I'm wondering if the high fan and turning the A/C on could be related to the Jeep trying to use the setting as a prediction for the weather outside.

Like if you leave it on the hottest setting, will it turn the fan on high and heat to try and warm the Jeep up for you before you get in?

Even though you don't have the automatic settings in your HVAC - the issue is across the board here. Mine had the HVAC unit replaced within a few hundred miles for turning the wrong vent doors on. I could have it on forward vent, turn it off, and when I started it again it would blow on feet only, then if I turned it on defrost, and back to forward vent, it would behave normal again until I turned off the Jeep.

My new HVAC was doing great all winter, and then I got A/C issues. Mine opens the door behind the glove box likes its in recirculate mode, even when it's not. If I turn recirculate mode on, then off, the door will close and it will draw in outside fresh air again - for a few minutes. Then the door slowly opens again over a few minutes in steps, until it's pulling in cabin air again. Everything else seems ok otherwise.

I have it on record, but the dealer doesn't know why it does it. I also was able to get them to go on the lot with me and check another new 2013. We picked a Rubicon with regular controls - I don't know if it had remote start but mine doesn't. The Rubicon on the lot did the same thing, so this isn't a wear and tear, or time sensitive problem where it comes up after awhile - this Rubicon had the issue with 6 miles on it from transport.

Mine, for the record, is automatic, has no remote start, and has the plain setting temp controls. I have the "S" package.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts