Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Taking a family vacation up to Cape Cod in a few weeks and bringing the JK. We are staying in Truro and I've been doing some research on ORV beach trails. I was going to get my permit at Race Point beach and do some fishing/campfires up there (if they are allowed) and generally parking my ass for awhile and potentially having a frosty beverage or two (responsible of course, I'll be driving around my 16 month old.)

Who has experience here and is there anywhere you recommend I should check out? Anything else I need to know? It's my first time up there. Looks like Race Point permits are $50 and I'll be getting it on the Saturday when I get up there. I'll be bringing along all the necessary equipment as well (Jack, tow straps, pressure guage, etc)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Race point is awesome, and the process is super laid back. Also, Nauset Light beach is separate and costs more but it's also gorgeous. Have fun!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure you did ... but make sure you read all this...https://www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-national-seashore-oversand-beach-driving.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yup, that's the link that I read for most of my info so far :)

Check the map in the link. Looks like most of it is currently closed.
I guess I'll have to check the map beforehand as well. I didn't see that before. As long as I can get on the beach at some place to fish I'll be happy, but Im worried it will be really crowded. Damn Piping Plovers.....they killed us when we went to Montauk too. Do you know when the nesting season for them typically ends?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
yup, that's the link that I read for most of my info so far :)

I guess I'll have to check the map beforehand as well. I didn't see that before. As long as I can get on the beach at some place to fish I'll be happy, but Im worried it will be really crowded. Damn Piping Plovers.....they killed us when we went to Montauk too. Do you know when the nesting season for them typically ends?
I honestly have never been to Race Point - just got me Jeep in June - live only hour or so from Race Point in MetroWest MA - but I know I bunch of people who do go and they always complain about the plovers - the Cape is always crowded this time of year especially weekends - expect a lot of traffic in and out - I have to imagine it wont be super crowded out at Race Point - most people stay in Hyannis area - Falmouth area and PTown ... but thats just a guess ....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly have never been to Race Point - just got me Jeep in June - live only hour or so from Race Point in MetroWest MA - but I know I bunch of people who do go and they always complain about the plovers - the Cape is always crowded this time of year especially weekends - expect a lot of traffic in and out - I have to imagine it wont be super crowded out at Race Point - most people stay in Hyannis area - Falmouth area and PTown ... but thats just a guess ....
Yea, we definitely expect to get crushed with traffic over the bridge heading in on Saturday, but will try to get to it early. I'm really hoping being up north on the hook will help with ORV beach traffic, especially if the area we can go will be small due to the plovers. May not be "worth the trek" for people. I'm going to be there the whole week, so hope middle of the week will be much more open as well as the first Sat/Sun will be the only weekend days I'd be able to go anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even though much of the beach is closed for the Plovers, it is still worth it to get the permit. Access to the beach is through some gorgeous dunes. It can get a little crowded but there should be plenty of parking. If you want more privacy, drive to the end of the beach. Most people park at the first spot they see exiting the dunes. You do need a permit for a campfire, but I have seen people with grills on the beach. You will also need a MA fishing permit. In the past, if a lot of Race Point ORV is closed, your ORV permit will usually allow you free parking at the non ORV part of Race PointBeach, Herring Cove Beach in PTown and Head of the Meadow Beach in Truro. No one can predict when the birds will move, but I think it is around mid August when they open more beach.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you @cipster! I'll definitely be getting it no matter what, especially since it's only $50 and will be worth it even if it's crowded. The fishing permit is only $10 I believe as well. Good call with the grill. One more thing to pack! We are staying very close to the Meadow Beach entrance in Truro, so really hope that is open when we are there.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally getting a chance to get some pics up. I'd never been to cape cod and loved it. Race Point going through the dunes was really cool and the beaches were nice. It was busy, busy not bad. Very scenic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice. Did you need to air down? Nice to see you have a manual trans. I'm a big fan of that. Did you turn off traction control?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great pics! I love taking the family out to Race Point. Did you make it to the southern end, off of Highland Road? Each time we've gone we've seen hundreds of seals on the sandbars. It's an amazing sight.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice. Did you need to air down? Nice to see you have a manual trans. I'm a big fan of that. Did you turn off traction control?
Yes you have to air down and need to have a tire gauge that goes down to 5psi. A digital one is ideal. I went down to 12psi. I turned traction control off yes. It limits wheel slippage so much with it on, although even off I felt it still interfering some. Having the 3.21s made it a pain to get going sometimes in 4HI with such little low end grunt and the manual. I wouldnt buy mine without the stick. I got lucky in finding mine at a local dealer!

Great pics! I love taking the family out to Race Point. Did you make it to the southern end, off of Highland Road? Each time we've gone we've seen hundreds of seals on the sandbars. It's an amazing sight.
Thank you! Unfortunately, we couldn't go much south as most of it was closed due to the Piping Plovers. From the lighthouse we had maybe a mile each way and that's it. I didn't see one seal, but had a pod of whales pretty close to shore that was cool to watch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes you have to air down and need to have a tire gauge that goes down to 5psi. A digital one is ideal. I went down to 12psi. I turned traction control off yes. It limits wheel slippage so much with it on, although even off I felt it still interfering some. Having the 3.21s made it a pain to get going sometimes in 4HI with such little low end grunt and the manual. I wouldnt buy mine without the stick. I got lucky in finding mine at a local dealer!

Your traction control was probably partially on. Next time hold the traction control button down for more than 5 seconds while in 4H to turn it completely off.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Your traction control was probably partially on. Next time hold the traction control button down for more than 5 seconds while in 4H to turn it completely off.
Good to know! Did not know that was possible. probably would have helped a lot.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great photos Pedro7! Glad you had a good time. Looks the weather cooperated as well.
We had amazing weather. It rained they day we arrived and the day we left. Other than that it was sunny and 75-80 degrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts