Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
121 - 140 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
FINALLY got the Jeep aligned yesterday. Ever since I had the AEV lift installed about 2 months ago, it always was pulling to the right. It wasn't to the point to where it was underivable. I took it to Fredericksburg about a week ago and the wind was so bad it was pushing the Jeep around at 70mph. After that I said enough and made an appointment to get the issue fixed.

Interestingly enough, the alignment itself was pretty much perfect, not really anything was out of order except a few small things. When I was looking over the result sheet, I found that the steer ahead was WAY off before and I think that was the reason for it pulling on the road and the steering wheel being off center.

The Toe was a little off so that was correct but what I find strange is the Camber on the front left wheel. I thought on Solid Axle Vehicles the camber was nonadjustable. What is strange is that the camber on the front left wheel is at -1.0, while every other wheel is at -.4 to -.5. Is there any reason for this?

Other than the camber it drives dead straight now and I love it.

·
Commercial Member
2,318 Posts
FINALLY got the Jeep aligned yesterday. Ever since I had the AEV lift installed about 2 months ago, it always was pulling to the right. It wasn't to the point to where it was underivable. I took it to Fredericksburg about a week ago and the wind was so bad it was pushing the Jeep around at 70mph. After that I said enough and made an appointment to get the issue fixed.

Interestingly enough, the alignment itself was pretty much perfect, not really anything was out of order except a few small things. When I was looking over the result sheet, I found that the steer ahead was WAY off before and I think that was the reason for it pulling on the road and the steering wheel being off center.

The Toe was a little off so that was correct but what I find strange is the Camber on the front left wheel. I thought on Solid Axle Vehicles the camber was nonadjustable. What is strange is that the camber on the front left wheel is at -1.0, while every other wheel is at -.4 to -.5. Is there any reason for this?

Other than the camber it drives dead straight now and I love it.

I think my camber was similar...-0.6 left, -1.2 right. Alignment guy thought that my gussets being welded caused the right side to go out of whack...which I know isn't the case from previous alignment.

COULD be a ball joint, even if you can't feel any play...PROBABLY is just variances in casting on the C's (my case). You'll never see an issue with it so long as you keep your tires rotated regularly :thumb:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I think my camber was similar...-0.6 left, -1.2 right. Alignment guy thought that my gussets being welded caused the right side to go out of whack...which I know isn't the case from previous alignment.

COULD be a ball joint, even if you can't feel any play...PROBABLY is just variances in casting on the C's (my case). You'll never see an issue with it so long as you keep your tires rotated regularly :thumb:
Well it doesn't seem to be an issue that is compromising the drivability of it. In this case I'm not going to worry about it.

I wouldn't think it is the ball joint. I'm stilling running stock tires so there isn't any extra stress to cause them to start acting up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Got out and did some off-roading with my dad today. Wow what a day.

We went around and took some good photos. The Jeep did really well.

After a while we met a guy with a Range Rover. Both of his diffs were grenaded and he had no power going to any wheels. We gave him a tow (Which was an adventure in and of itself.) and got him back to camp.

Other than that, great day.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Jeep update:

I took the doors off a few days ago and noticed that the door hinge liners were already crapping out. I decided to go ahead and buy a set of TMR Derlin door hinge liners. These were more of a preventative purchase so that I don't have issues in the future.

I also decided to buy the AEV water pump kit and jack base for my Jeep. After almost having a disabled rover run into a tree because the E-brake wasn't working, I wanted something that could also act as a wheel chock. I was initially disappointed when I learned that the AEV bumper does not come with the pump and plumbing from the AEV factory. I decided to go ahead and buy the kit. After all its was like 30 bucks and could come in handy int he future. Hopefully all the parts will come in soon.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Parts came in!

Got my AEV jack stand and love it, fits perfectly in the JK cubby just as advertised.

The AEV water pump.... So I don't have a big enough socket to unbolt the bolts securing the water tanks to the frame so I have to get a bigger socket sometime this weekend. :mad:

I did get my new TMR Customs JKU door hinge liners and I am really impressed with them. Wow are the factory liners total crap. They were already starting to show signs of wear so I said "Why not" and bought replacements. The new liners were more of a future protection mod, not a "I need to do something with the Jeep" kinda thing. :)

Anyway they installed pretty well. Had to hammer out the old liners and wow they are crappy. Really impressed with the new ones. I am going to be running without doors for the rest of the week so I will report when I get the doors back on to see if there is any difference.

Old Liners:

New Liners:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Parts came in! Got my AEV jack stand and love it, fits perfectly in the JK cubby just as advertised. The AEV water pump.... So I don't have a big enough socket to unbolt the bolts securing the water tanks to the frame so I have to get a bigger socket sometime this weekend. :mad: I did get my new TMR Customs JKU door hinge liners and I am really impressed with them. Wow are the factory liners total crap. They were already starting to show signs of wear so I said "Why not" and bought replacements. The new liners were more of a future protection mod, not a "I need to do something with the Jeep" kinda thing. :) Anyway they installed pretty well. Had to hammer out the old liners and wow they are crappy. Really impressed with the new ones. I am going to be running without doors for the rest of the week so I will report when I get the doors back on to see if there is any difference. Old Liners: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/captain_texas_/media/IMG_9117_zpszhhdnt2q.jpg.html http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/captain_texas_/media/IMG_9120_zpsvk6ltnxz.jpg.html New Liners: http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/captain_texas_/media/IMG_9122_zpsgkvmbtnq.jpg.html
Great stuff! I just received my Delrin liners too and need to get them installed. I've read from quite a few people getting the stock liners out is a PITA. Jeep is coming along nicely!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Great stuff! I just received my Delrin liners too and need to get them installed. I've read from quite a few people getting the stock liners out is a PITA. Jeep is coming along nicely!
I bought my liners with the takeout tool but I have heard people just use a 10mm socket and hammer them out. Depending on the age and wear they can be a pain to get out.

Thank you very much! I am currently saving up for some Rubicon wheels and BFG AT KO2's. Will hopefully have enough cash in June or July. Getting really excited! I am getting anxious to drop the Sahara wheels!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I bought my liners with the takeout tool but I have heard people just use a 10mm socket and hammer them out. Depending on the age and wear they can be a pain to get out.

Thank you very much! I am currently saving up for some Rubicon wheels and BFG AT KO2's. Will hopefully have enough cash in June or July. Getting really excited! I am getting anxious to drop the Sahara wheels!
Yeah the socket trick was what I planned to use. I may take the doors off this weekend for a show and shine but I don't have time to screw around with the liners if they turn out to be a pain, so I'll tackle that another weekend.

Good luck on the KO2's, that will be my next tire for sure. The Rubicon wheels with them will look great! Can't wait to see pics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I won't be getting wheels and tires done till around July but right now I am pretty much set on a set of 35" BFG AT KO2s.

Since I have a Sahara, do you think that they Dana 30 in the front will withstand the weight from the BFGs? I don't want to have 35"s and then several months later my front axle breaks.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I won't be getting wheels and tires done till around July but right now I am pretty much set on a set of 35" BFG AT KO2s. Since I have a Sahara, do you think that they Dana 30 in the front will withstand the weight from the BFGs? I don't want to have 35"s and then several months later my front axle breaks. Opinions?
From what I know the D30 shares a lot of the D44 internals. You should sleeve and gusset from what I've read if you plan to do much wheeling.

·
Commercial Member
2,318 Posts
I won't be getting wheels and tires done till around July but right now I am pretty much set on a set of 35" BFG AT KO2s.

Since I have a Sahara, do you think that they Dana 30 in the front will withstand the weight from the BFGs? I don't want to have 35"s and then several months later my front axle breaks.

Opinions?
You'll be fine with 35's on it. Gusset the C's. The D30 and "D44" (it's not a real D44 per se) primarily differ on the ring and pinion size (D44 is beefer R&P), and the axle shafts.

They share the same C's, tubes and ball joints, so essentially the differential "pumpkin" and shafts are the difference.

The D30 as it is is just fine with 35's. Definitely wanna gusset the C's...it's really inexpensive insurance, and it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the ball joints either - the factory ones can be junk.

Just don't go whoopin or jumping your Jeep and it'll be good. Also beware of hard throttle when going over an obstacle at full lock. That's just smart wheeling, and will give you lots of time with your 30.

Pat

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looking at the pics I thought to myself... Looks like HF... then I saw the map in the last pic. :)

The D30 and "D44" (it's not a real D44 per se) primarily differ on the ring and pinion size (D44 is beefer R&P), and the axle shafts.

They share the same C's, tubes and ball joints, so essentially the differential "pumpkin" and shafts are the difference

Pat
I'm assuming your comparing the D30 with the D44 from a Rubicon?

·
Commercial Member
2,318 Posts
Looking at the pics I thought to myself... Looks like HF... then I saw the map in the last pic. :)

I'm assuming your comparing the D30 with the D44 from a Rubicon? Dynatrac Pro Rocks and other equivalent after market D44 are much stronger (beefer) all the way around compared to a D30.
Yes, I'm talking about OEM Rubi front axle vs. OEM non-rubi (D30) axles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Thanks for the input guys! It is always appreciated!

Trust me, if I had the funds I would have already gotten a Dynatrac 60 in the rear and 44 in the front..... buuuuuuuut because I bought a Jeep.... I have no money :bop:

The wheels and tires are still a good 4 months off so I will continue looking into the D30 axle and any improvements that can be made on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I have been searching for a set of Rubicon wheels for a while now and I finally found the right set and pulled the trigger.

These came off of a 2013 Rubicon and they do have some light scuffs on them but honestly I really don't care. I got them for a steal! $350 for a set of 5! Got to love being in a group like Austin Jeep People.

Currently the wheels will be going into storage until fall time this year when I have the money to get some 35" BFG KO2s. Glad I snagged these at great price!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
So my birthday was last week and I've got some spending money on the Jeep. I am looking to get rid of the factory running boards and get some rock slider.

I am wanting to get some Rock Hard Tube Style rock sliders and I am wondering if anyone is running them. I have heard very good things about them and I am the kind of guy that demands quality parts. Any feedback would be awesome!

I am also thinking again about getting a Cobra 75 Setup. 50/50 chance I will just procrastinate and forget about it. Oh well. Lol.

Went to Cars and Coffee today and snapped some photos of the Jeep. God I love Anvil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got out and did some off-roading with my dad today. Wow what a day.

We went around and took some good photos. The Jeep did really well.

After a while we met a guy with a Range Rover. Both of his diffs were grenaded and he had no power going to any wheels. We gave him a tow (Which was an adventure in and of itself.) and got him back to camp.

Other than that, great day.
Where is this?

121 - 140 of 249 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.