Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What RMS would yall recommend for clear, crisp sound and a pretty high volume, and the RMS for the amp.

Right now, all my speakers are rated at 30 RMS...but my HU is only putting out 50 by 4 speakers...so basically anything would be a nice upgrade

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
For speakers in a Jeep, you should consider sensitivity more than worrying about RMS.

As far as power matching, you ideally want the speakers and amp to maintain the same RMS rating; ex: 30w speaker should see 30w amp.

Your head unit is not putting out anywhere close to 50w. The actual output is likely in the 18w RMS range.

Find an amp that matches your speaker's RMS rating and you will be surprised how much the sound improves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
that 50x4 is peak not RMS. you're probably around 22 or so RMS. same as above, i would buy an amp that you're only going to end up running at 50-75% gain so you're not pushing the amp too hard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want Volume, count on buyingamplifiers. The IC chips inside any head unit can only provide so much power, about 30 watts max, regardlesswhat the chassis says. That is about enough to power a pair of 5" 2-way speakers efficiently. If you add speakersto that, you will be under-powering them and you'll get distortion. If you don't want it loud... this minimum-sizedsystem will be okay. It's a basic factory stereo. If you want good, clean punchy music, buy the amps. Foraudiophiles: run about 100watts per channel into your mid and high frequencies, and another 200 watts dedicatedto your lows (subs) pushing subwoofer speakers. With the right drivers (speakers), this system will sound like astudio monitoring system!
Just a side note
Total Harmonic Distortion (TDH)
This is a measure of how faithfully speakers translate what is on a disc or hard drive into sound. The lower the figure, the less distortion there is. Usually the values are between 0.05% and 0.08% THD for a quality "clean" system but any figure below 0.1% THD is pretty good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To go along with what was said by ibuildembig, more power doesn't mean better power . Their is a huge difference between clean and dirty power, dirty power can happen pretty easy with an old style mosfet (non digital amp ) and cause some real nasty sounding music this most commonly occurs when adjusting an amp past the 3/4 power point. Your best bet will be going with all digital amps and spend a few extra bucks your charging system will also thank you!!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
For speakers in a Jeep, you should consider sensitivity more than worrying about RMS.

As far as power matching, you ideally want the speakers and amp to maintain the same RMS rating; ex: 30w speaker should see 30w amp.

Your head unit is not putting out anywhere close to 50w. The actual output is likely in the 18w RMS range.

Find an amp that matches your speaker's RMS rating and you will be surprised how much the sound improves.
That advice is right on. Until you add an external auxilliary amplifier, the key to good sound is selecting speakers that don't need a lot of power which is indicated by a high Sensitivity rating. 90 dB (decibel) or higher Sensitivity is what you need for a stock head unit. And as said above, about the most RMS (real) wattage that a stock head unit can put out is 12-18 watts RMS. Forget all the other wattage ratings... Peak, Music Power, etc. which are more misleading to the uninitiated than anything.

And worrying about such things like the THD (total harmonic distortion) of an audio system meant for a Jeep is like worrying if the artwork you are considering for your outhouse are originals or forgeries... a pretty useless thing to worry about given the environment both are to be used in.

What is at least one speaker recommendation that will have enough of the Sensitivity rating to sound good? Polk DB series. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
had polks in my first tj and infinities in the current, and i'll be switching to the polks before too long. plug most polk stuff is marine certified.

·
Registered
583 Posts
kdtomczak said:
What RMS would yall recommend for clear, crisp sound and a pretty high volume, and the RMS for the amp.

Right now, all my speakers are rated at 30 RMS...but my HU is only putting out 50 by 4 speakers...so basically anything would be a nice upgrade
Rms and power has nothing to do with clarity. You're looking at this completely wrong.

Brand = obsolete.

Find a speaker with a good frequency response, and a good signal to noise ratio. Power in fact usually leads to distortion before clarity.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
I usually sell people a bigger amp than what they need simply because it will last longer not gained up all the way and will sound better. The money difference is minimal too. I would look for 100x4 to run what you have.
A well built amp with the gain sky high will still never fail, it just won't sound good.

Money difference is minimal? Your joking right? A high quality class AB amp compared to a POS alpine AB class amp using an ice chip is huge....

Another thing: go research stereo wattage. You'll find that you can power your stereo to a relatively loud listening level off of just 1 watt. Once you reach the minimal sound floor the power required doubles to make an audible volume incrase of 3db.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Your reaching way far into the words I said Derp. When selling a customer a larger amp over a smaller one of the same series, the money is minimal (usually less than 80 bucks). Most people are far from credible audiophiles and hardly require the THD of .0001, and wouldn't even consider a 2K set of components. That being said, 90 percent of jeepers are fine with the status quo that a cheap speaker such as a Polk or Infinity has to offer....although there are much better choices available if someone has to the time to listen to different ones themselves instead of taking peoples words for it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ibuildembig said:
Your reaching way far into the words I said Derp. When selling a customer a larger amp over a smaller one of the same series, the money is minimal (usually less than 80 bucks). Most people are far from credible audiophiles and hardly require the THD of .0001, and wouldn't even consider a 2K set of components. That being said, 90 percent of jeepers are fine with the status quo that a cheap speaker such as a Polk or Infinity has to offer....although there are much better choices available if someone has to the time to listen to different ones themselves instead of taking peoples words for it.
Sorry, you're right. I definitely did go too far into that. I apologize.

I happen to have the same opinion as you on some peoples calibrated ears.

Cheers!
Nick.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not really, look for what was previously posted. The only time ohms make a huge impact is on subwoofer wiring applications

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
The only time ohms make a huge impact is on subwoofer wiring applications
Are you serious? If you are, that would be wrong. Matching the speaker impedance to the amplifier impedance is indeed important no matter what type of speaker you're talking about. Too low of a speaker impedance can damage the output stage of an amplifier, too high of a speaker impedance means the amplifier won't develop the power it is rated to, not to mention other problems that will impact sound quality.

Matching impedances between electronic components is indeed important.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts