Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning People, This is a continuation of the Frankenstein build posted a few days ago. Here is a quick run down of that build.
EBay buy, 95 chassis, 93 242 L6 converted to spray before me, 88 Peugeot 5 speed manual. Everything else is somewhat of a mystery. I bought it, as is, empty block and empty head. All the pieces parts came in 7- 5 gallon buckets.
She has been resurrected but running so rich that I thought I may have missed a severely worn cylinder wall. A compression test revealed that all is well in her heart. 150 was the highest and 143 was the lowest.
As far as I can tell, there is (was) a Weber 34 DGEC on the intake. I haven't spent anytime trying to figure out if it is a fake or the real thing.
Whatever the case, I have to rebuild the existing 2 barrel or install a new one. Carburetors are my kryptonite. It is the one area of the motor that I know the least about.
I have read a number of different threads on here about re-jetting, boring jets, pressure regulators etc... What I would like to know is this;
I am building this jeep for my two sons. They are 14 and 16. They wont be rock crawling with it, they wont be mud running in it, but they will be looking cool in a very unique ride, when they pull up to school for football practice, if you know what I mean.
I need the thing to be reliable,in Wisconsin. 90+ in the summer, 0* or worse in the winter.
The carb is the last of my big issues and I need your advice.
Do I stick with what I have and rebuild it or drop something new on it.
If I rebuild it, what jets should I order with the kit?
If I put a new one on it, which one would qualify as affordable and reliable.
I realize that I could stick $400 or $500 into a beautiful Holly, but I think for the time being, there must be other options as well.
Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have seen this kind of post about the Weber carb. Here is one link http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthread.php?t=126887

Now if you are set on keeping a carb on the motor I would buy a new one. There are some people having luck with a Weber 32/36 carb. The type and brand is really your preference though. Everyone is partial to something different. Me personally in that climate and environment I wouldn't have a carb on it. I would go to the nearest junk yard and convert it back to fuel injected. Climate change, elevation, and reliability I would give hands down to fuel injected over carb but then again that's my preference. I have built and had both ends of the spectrum. Carbs have their place but just are not my thing. Also as a daily driver fuel mileage will be slightly better with fuel injection. Around here I could go to a local junk yard and get everything needed including a harness and controller for maybe $300-$500 and only need to buy a few things such as consumables and gaskets. It's all on what suites you the best. I hope I have helped in some way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts