Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i wanna say that my jeep is not my 2yr old sons main transportation, but he loves the jeep and talks about it everyday lol. I want to put a car seat in it for short rides and very light wheeling with him in it. Has anyone put the seat in the center of the back seat? If so can you give me some tips on how you did it with there being no center belt. I will never put my childs saftey at risk i want it to be safe and secure as possible. I will buy a new 5 point harness car seat with a good teather system. Me and my son will appreciate any info and opinions. Thanks from both of us. :d

·
Registered
208 Posts
Im interested in this for my daughter also. I was thinking about putting a 3 or 5 point harness under the car seat. She loves riding in the woods in the grand cherokee

·
Registered
27 Posts
x3 would also like to know. Mine has never had a back seat. I just bought a seat but need to buy seatbelts and I'm trying to decide on lap vs shoulder and what works best with a carseat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I get nervous when I ride my dog in the backseat of my Jeep with the top off.. If I put a kid back there, I'd probably tie them down with an entire roll of duck tape haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I most likely will have the top up as well. Any ideas on how to safely secure the car seat? I would like it to be in the center of the seat.

·
Registered
142 Posts
run the strap on the car seat that you normally hook to the factory car seat hooks on your car to the seat belt brackets under the seat close to the fender wells. position car seat in center of seat. run strap that normally hooks behind seat head down to center seat belt bracket on floor. pull it all tight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
rolltide14 said:
run the strap on the car seat that you normally hook to the factory car seat hooks on your car to the seat belt brackets under the seat close to the fender wells. position car seat in center of seat. run strap that normally hooks behind seat head down to center seat belt bracket on floor. pull it all tight.
Probably don't have a LATCH system in a YJ, they weren't mandatory/standard until 97/98 if I recall correctly.
You will most likely just have to use the belt path and chose one side or the other.
FD, EMS, or state police should be able to give you more info and make site it's installed properly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Put seat in the middle run seat belt through back of car seat then get a rachet strap run it through and around seat and go under neath seat belts in the back and then u can hook top car seat strap in the back on the bottom snug as can be

·
Registered
571 Posts
I looked in to this with the CHP and was told that there were no special requirements for a Jeep beyond what the State of California already mandates. I asked about installing a center belt and was told (as I expected) that any modification to the restraint system is illegal.
I have used the Graco Smart Seat for both of my sons and I would not buy anything else. YES, they are expensive but they are meant to be used from babies to 100 pounds and have a steel frame with foam and great washable covers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I let my kids ride in there when I do some light wheeling, nothing that I would really need to use 4 wheel in. For the backseat, at least on mine, there are some tabs that I think were used for a bikini top tie down. I strap the car seat in using those and the seat belt and its pretty secure. Like you said its not meant for normal transport but the kids love to drive in the woods.

·
Registered
875 Posts
dustinwilcoxson said:
Put seat in the middle run seat belt through back of car seat then get a rachet strap run it through and around seat and go under neath seat belts in the back and then u can hook top car seat strap in the back on the bottom snug as can be
Nononono...dangerous and if anything does happen, insurance will NOT pay a dime!!
Do it right or don't so it at all.

I believe that the dealership will install one latch for you if your vehicle doesn't come equipped, or that was the tether. It's been 8years since I had the class. I forget.

Again, visit your local PD, EMS, or FD for info or help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
M.I.C
K.E.Y.

M.O.U.S.E.

Please no mickey mouse setups for your children. Use the carseat and the seat how it was designed.

Yes the center seat is the safest place for a kid... but if you don't have a center seat don't slap something together.

Don't try to engineer something like this. Leave that to the engineers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Definitely go to a police station or ask a police officer when you see him at a convenience store getting a drink or snack. They are more than willing to help. Believe me, they roll up on enough accidents they'd rather spend time showing you how to do it right than having every one go through the tragedy. They may actually thank you for allowing them to assist.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Unfortunately, the notion that all law enforcement officers know the proper installation of child protective car seats is an old wives tale. There are people within each department who are properly trained, but you would need to contact the department and find out who they are and when they are available.
Rolling up on a LEO in a 7/11 parking lot and asking about the proper installation of a child protective seat is going to get you absolutely no where, and probably frustrated at the lack of understanding you will receive.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Carlsbad0331 said:
Unfortunately, the notion that all law enforcement officers know the proper installation of child protective car seats is an old wives tale. There are people within each department who are properly trained, but you would need to contact the department and find out who they are and when they are available.
Rolling up on a LEO in a 7/11 parking lot and asking about the proper installation of a child protective seat is going to get you absolutely no where, and probably frustrated at the lack of understanding you will receive.
But they will most likely be able to point you in the proper direction or give you contact numbers. Better than winging it!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i ran all summer with my 18mo old in the back of my yj. she loves the jeep. i was able to secure the carseat just like you would with out the latch system in a regular vehicle. i was able to use one belt from each side to be sure the seat was dead center in the rear seat. never once did feel like my child was in any danger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I set my son up behind the pass seat with the belt through the seat and into the female buckle as it states to do in the manual but no way would I ride like that alone, it seems too loose no matter how much I get the belt to retract and lock. I then use the latch system belt and put that over the seat and I can sneak the clasp into the floor female seatbelt mount just next to the belt itself and it is solid, I used all grade 8 bolts when I installed the seat and belt hardware. This keeps him in there super tight. The seat is a tiny bit pulled to the center because of the latch but it is way more secure than belt alone.

I think I will try what YJmaddness described with both belts criss crossed and the latch, that would make me feel better... until baby #2 arrives next year and we need to fit 2 back there. I think using a ratchet tie town in tandem with the belts and latches could not hurt either. Just to secure the child seat to the bench seat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
jackacc said:
I set my son up behind the pass seat with the belt through the seat and into the female buckle as it states to do in the manual but no way would I ride like that alone, it seems too loose no matter how much I get the belt to retract and lock. I then use the latch system belt and put that over the seat and I can sneak the clasp into the floor female seatbelt mount just next to the belt itself and it is solid, I used all grade 8 bolts when I installed the seat and belt hardware. This keeps him in there super tight. The seat is a tiny bit pulled to the center because of the latch but it is way more secure than belt alone.

I think I will try what YJmaddness described with both belts criss crossed and the latch, that would make me feel better... until baby #2 arrives next year and we need to fit 2 back there. I think using a ratchet tie town in tandem with the belts and latches could not hurt either. Just to secure the child seat to the bench seat.
My point exactly thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts