Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got a buddy who is looking at jeeps. He wanting to know what year did they start adding the attachments for car seats? Or is that just an option on most models? any one have any idea? Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
The LATCH system became standard in 03 or 04 I believe, but I can't remember for sure. My LJ is my primary and I haul around my 18m daughter without any problems, but I don't use the LATCH system because I can't get her seat tight enough not to move so I use a ratchet device with the seat belt and it tightens it down to wear it don't move. If he is going to use it for his primary then I would tell him to look into a LJ series for the more room or look into a JK 4dr for more room.

Hopes this helps a bit.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I taxi around a smallish 2 1/2 y/o in my 2012 JK. The only difficulty is wedging her in at the proper angle. I've heard, "Not nice roll bar!" too many times to count because I bumped her head putting her in there. :facepalm: Her seat fits really tight with the LATCH system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mid to early 2000's is when the LATCH system was mandated. Because of my line of work, I took a 5 day class on how to install car seats. Like was mentioned earlier, it can be just as easy to use the seat belt rather than the LATCH system. Have your buddy check with local Fire Departments, or Human Services and they should be able to make sure the seat is installed properly.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
For the occasional family local trips in the TJ, I've used the seat belt system on my '98 TJ for my 4yo and a 8mo old with no issues. I recommend having the baby carrier behind the passenger seat due to the seat being able to fold forward more vs. driver's seat. .(Doesn't matter though if you go topless )
I do get a few looks seeing a stroller strapped across the rear roll bars behind a 33" spare but the kids love going topless/doorless.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the seat belt system in my 98 for my 3 year old's car seat along with the tie down or latch system that helps lock it in real tight. Not that it matters but I mainly use the Jeep on the weekends, its not my DD.

For the occasional family local trips in the TJ, I've used the seat belt system on my '98 TJ for my 4yo and a 8mo old with no issues. I recommend having the baby carrier behind the passenger seat due to the seat being able to fold forward more vs. driver's seat. .(Doesn't matter though if you go topless )
I do get a few looks seeing a stroller strapped across the rear roll bars behind a 33" spare but the kids love going topless/doorless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts