Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first jeep wash went so bad today I had to clean the whole house... no joke... My question is at the end if you want skip my embarrassing, but hopefully entertaining, story.

Today it was just one thing after another. I got to the wand wash place and it was packed because the weather is nice (the sun is out and snow is melting). I decided to vacuum while I waited for a stall and the vacuum sucked up my rag and clogged. Oh well, the inside wasn't bad anyway. Finally I get in after this tow truck and spend two cycles of the wash to get it clean. I drive home with a big smile on my face in my shiny jeep. When I get home I realize I did a terrible rush job. It wasn't fithy anymore but not exactly shiny. After being home a few minutes I realized I was tracking dirt all over the place, I mean every step left a mark. I kneel down to clean the dirt, oh wait, that not dirt that's grease! I stepped in a huge pile of grease at the car wash! I'm guessing it came off the tow truck in front of me. Needless to say I washed my boots, swept and mopped the whole house and spot treated the few steps on carpet before my wife came home. On the bright side, hopefully I'll earn some valentine's day brownie points out of this disaster.

So here's what I want to know: what's the best way to wash and care for my soft top. It a Best Top in decent condition and it's the only one I have so I'm particularly interested in longevity. Obviously hand wash is going to be best and I'll do that when the weather improves, but for winter I think I'll use the wand wash. Are there any chemical settings that will harm the top? Any thing I need to worry about damaging in the under carriage? What products do you recommend for the vinyl windows? What else do I need to know?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I'd like to know also.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always look at the floor of the coin op car washes before I drive in them... if they are nasty and greasy looking, I avoid that bay.

There's also times when I take a pair of rubber farm boots and wear those when doing the wash - I changed in to them at the beginning of the wash chore, and swap back to my shoes before leaving.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You're not alone man, I've done close to the same thing trying to clean my yj!

Anyway, When I bought my yj a few years back some other jeep guy was telling me about a product to get most of the scratches out of the soft top Windows. It cleared them up quite a bit too, it was too different bottles but I can't remember what they we called.

If I can remember when I get home in a week or two I'll take a look for you as to what the product was though, if you want to give that stuff a try.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
303 space age protectant works good. I clean the top with a mild soap and scrub brush and let it dry, then I apply 2 heavy coats of 303. it lasts a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I use the tire clean setting and cover the whole vehicle with it. Its basically like simple green. Then soap brush everything except the plastic windows. Rinse, then spot free final. That just uses softened water that dries without leaving calcium spots. For the plastic windows, the plexus plastic polish is great. But if its hard to come by locally, hondaline has the same product at any honda motorcycle dealer.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Bucket of warm soapy water, garden hose, yer driveway... and a beer.

And best to do it on an overcast, even rainy day.
Or early before the sun gets everything hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I buy a convertible top cleaner and protectant at my local auto parts store. I believe it is made by Blue Coral; come to think of it, I'm out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the tire clean setting and cover the whole vehicle with it. Its basically like simple green. Then soap brush everything except the plastic windows. Rinse, then spot free final. That just uses softened water that dries without leaving calcium spots. For the plastic windows, the plexus plastic polish is great. But if its hard to come by locally, hondaline has the same product at any honda motorcycle dealer.
That sounds about right for the wand wash. Thanks DRED! I researched a bunch of those products mentioned. I'll probably go with the best top products for the top this spring when I can wash in my drive... with a beer! Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I wash my wifes Mini Convertible with car soap. treat it once a year with the soft top protectant. Interested in this 303 product. As far as Blue Coral, that is K-Mart crap, but better than dish soap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For the windows: Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish.
Yes! That's the stuff I was talking about.

I wash my wifes Mini Convertible with car soap. treat it once a year with the soft top protectant. Interested in this 303 product. As far as Blue Coral, that is K-Mart crap, but better than dish soap.
Hey man, I used to work at K Mart... Very briefly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts