Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 Wrangler with a soft top, and since it is my first Jeep, I'm not sure about all of the do's and don'ts. I've heard some people say not to take it through any car wash, and some say it's okay to take it through a touchless. It is too cold to wash it myself, since my hose is frozen, meaning the pressure washer won't work. Is it okay to take it through a touchless, or will it mess up the soft top and the plastic windows? I will eventually want to wash it myself when it's warmer - but I'm dying to get the salt, sand and snow off of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've taken my 14 JK hardtop numerous times through the car wash. No issues no leaks whatsoever. I do remove the antenna and fold the side mirrors in. Comes out sparkling clean. I see soft tops going through all the time. It's not touch less either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Took my soft top through a touchless car wash a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues. FWIW, it did a terrible job at removing the Georgia clay residue

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why do you guys fold mirrors and remove antenna for? Does it get damaged or just you want it clean at that spot?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Why do you guys fold mirrors and remove antenna for? Does it get damaged or just you want it clean at that spot?
I've had an antenna ripped off in the car wash before on my Hummer and the mirrors can easily be damaged as they sit out pretty wide. Unless it's a touch less wash. Those can be pretty useless.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I never took my TJ with a soft top though an automatic car wash but I did wash it myself at a DIY car wash. I'd imagine if the brushes could scratch the plastic windows, they could scratch the paint too. The top is pretty forgiving so I doubt a brush would hurt it. My cat used to use my soft top as a hammock. It would have a nice depression in the top but it would always return to shape. I doubt a brush is going to hurt it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took it through a touchless one today...didn't seem to scratch the windows - but I did buy the Best Top window cleaner and Raggtopp vinyl cleaner to do the top myself. The car wash didn't really do much for getting the soft top clean, so I'll be doing it myself whenever the weather allows.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've taken mine through a car wash two or three times and haven't had any issues. I'm always more concerned about the high-velocity dryers whipping my top out of shape or jarring something loose, though. Probably silly to worry since highway wind is strong AND sustained, but my thinking was highway wind comes at the top from straight ahead, whereas the dryers hit the top from all sorts of weird angles that may or may not be "natural" to the Jeep, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've done it several times over the last two years with both tops. Never had an issue with either. Lately I've just done the manual self serve car wash to get the ridiculous amounts of salt off of my Jeep. Of course then I get made fun of for it being too clean...

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah lol i took my jeep through a car wash 1 week and half ago because the weather was decent and i wanted to take salt and dirt off..also have my underneath cleaned... 1 day later i got the "hey why is your jeep clean for? go off roading brother!!!"

·
Registered
340 Posts
New '15 Soft Top owner too.

Haven't gone through an automatic wash yet, doubt I ever will.

Here's the method used when home hose is frozen:

Go to the hand held spray wand place, hot water and high pressure will get most of the salt and grime off, get underneath too.

Then at home in garage, get a bucket of hot water and hand finish the areas the spray wand couldn't get removed.
Turtle Wax makes a product called " Rinse Free " - this can be added to the bucket of hot water, it works well.

Use care on the Vinyl Windows not to scratch by using a clean microfiber towel.

Now, you're good to go and get the Jeep out again in the snow and salt !
Repeat the above when necessary until the hose thaws.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts