Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I have a 1993 Wrangler 4.0 5 speed transmission. I just put a brand new battery in the car and went and hit some trails. When I parked the car for lunch and came out to start it again after an hour it was completely dead. After getting jumped and back on the road it started right up everytime like nothing was wrong. Is my starter bad or starter solenoid etc etc . Help

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Drive it to a parts store and get the battery tested. Make sure the battery is fully charged (leave it on a charger overnight). I've seen a couple brand new batteries that have bad cells.

Also, with the battery fully charged while the Jeep is RUNNING, put a digital multimeter (get a cheap on at Harbor Freight for a few bucks if you don't have one) on the battery. It should read around 14 volts.

Next you can TEST the starter. That usually just involves seeing if it has power, and then trying to jump it.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Remove your battery cables and clean the insides and the battery posts.
Once they are back on the battery, slather a gob of dielectric grease all over the cable ends and terminals.
Then remove the ground cable where it bolts to the block and scrape the block and cable end to shiny bare metal. Reassemble with a dab of dielectric grease.
Then do the same thing with the ground strap from the back of the engine block to the firewall.

Do all the above along with MMs recommendations.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bad cells in battery's are not fun to diagnose. Every time you shake it or remove it from the vehicle it starts behaving correctly. Do check the voltage when it's "dead". Take pictures or video to prove the situation. The guy in the parts department needs proof to swap the battery to keep his/her job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts