Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 14,000 miles failed to start yesterday. This is an interesting problem that I've never encountered before. Here's what happened:

I turned the key and there seemed to be a slight hesitation, then the car started and ran for about 4 seconds and then shut off. I did this three more times with the same results. On the fourth try, the engine wouldn't turn over at all. The one light that was on the dash required a look-up in my manual. This turned out to be the "Security" light. It also reminded me of a few years ago when another car I had did the exact same thing, but for a legitimate reason: I had the wrong key in the ignition. It had no electronic chip, and so the car would start, then run a few seconds and die. When I got the correct key, it started and ran fine. So just for the heck of it, I got my spare Jeep key off the wall and tried it. Same thing. Nothing.

I had my Jeep towed to the dealership and the Tech there said he'd come across this issue recently. He simply removed the "IOD" fuse for 15 seconds and then put it back. That solved
the problem. Two days earlier I was in the deep country in snow with no cell-phone service. Can you imagine what might have happened if this issue had popped-up then? Especially the fact that there was an easy fix that I wasn't aware of.

So my car was gone for 24 hours, the tow and "fix" together probably cost Chrysler three or four hundred dollars, and it should have never happened to start with.

What is the theory on why this happened? The Tech thinks that static electricity (It's winter now) somehow zapped the computer into not being able to read the key code, and so shut down the engine.

To me, this is a really serious issue, as these vehicles were MADE to go out where even cell phones fail. Have any of you experienced this yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yep happened twice to me, what's the IOD fuse ?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Ignition of draw huh? Good to know

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah, that happened last weekend out Weelin. Couple of us stopped to wait for rigs
Ahead to clear a obstacle , so I turned my jeep off to wait. About 20 mins later got the word
Come ahead, went to start jeep up and all it would do is crank.After
About ten mins trying it finally started. Yeah good to know about that fuse THANKS....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I attempted to find this issue on the Net but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Now, I see the Net is FULL of people having this problem going back to 2006! There seems to be all kinds of answers to the problem, but only if you were born under the right Sign. Some had the WCM replaced under warranty. Some couldn't. Some didn't work after it was replaced. It's a hit or miss situation that Chrysler should have solved years ago. There's no excuse for this to go-on for year after year.

Here are what others are saying about this well-known issue:

The "Wireless Control Module"

My JK will not start/crank at times. There is a TSB about the WCM getting hit with static electricity when the key is inserted and it causes a "no crank" issue.

I have had it into the dealer no less than 5 times for this issue(had it towed in once) since I bought it new in Nov 08. Now that it is out of the 3-36 bumper to bumper warranty they are refusing to cover the repair under warranty. I refuse to give those pricks a red cent.

I am a diesel mechanic and do all of my own repairs to my older Jeeps so I might as well get my feet wet right now and fix this issue and start learning something about this pile of junk Jeep that I own. I believe this is just the beginning of a whole lot of issues.

This was a known problem with the early JK models where static electricity caused the WCM to lock up, but I thought they had fixed it years ago. Guess not. If this happens again you should push to have the WCM replaced. This was an issue on earlier models but supposedly had been fixed.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Thinking about taking a thin notebook and putting all these little things/tips into it to keep in the jeep.
Also add that we should all (owners) ensure the fuses are fully inserted into the holder. Mine brand new were not. Buddy's 2014 was the same!

Check those fuses and give them a push!:rant:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thinking about taking a thin notebook and putting all these little things/tips into it to keep in the jeep.
I keep a spread sheet in Google docs for each of the Jeeps and both motorcycles. That way when I'm surfing these forums I have a convenient place to store it all and it's also easy to quickly copy it.

Once in a while I download a copy to my phone so I have access even if I don't have a wifi/cell connection.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My '13Rubi left me stranded the same way. Just lucky I wasn't out wheeling when it happened. Had it towed to the dealer and left it there for three days while they researched it, replaced the WCM and told me it was VERY unusual, and that there was NO WAY to get it running out in the field if it happened again. Hmmm. But later another tech told me they disconnect the battery for a while and then they can drive them into the shop when it happens. Love that!

So now it seems I'm not alone and there is a work around. I'm so glad we have this forum!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts