Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what is going on.
These are the symptoms, When I am giving it gas it acts like the clutch is slipping but, I know the clutch is fine. It goes down the road just fine as long as I dont romp on it.
It is a stock webber 32/36 DGEV? and thinking I should do a rebuild but, I am not very hip on rebuilds.
Any one have any idea's as to what is going on?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The webber wasn't stock, the carter bbd is stock. The carter is not the easiest to rebuild on your own, but can be done if you're comfortable with it. There are thorough instructions that come with rebuild kits but it is still difficult. If you have to have it rebuilt by someone else anyway and if your smog laws are lenient, check this out before having the carter rebuilt, it would cost the same as having someone rebuild it for you, but the motorcraft is a major upgrade. I do think it is your carb since I had the same problems before I rebuilt. New Motorcraft 2150 Jeep AMC Eagle Pacer Carb Upgrade 258 4 2 1 08 Venturis | eBay

·
Registered
28 Posts
^+1 on the MC2150. I just put one on today and all I can say is why didn't I do this sooner. Geez this thing is awesome. If you decide to buy, go with Ehrmann's ebay kit - it's the best and he has amazing instructions. See BCDonny's build thread. My best guess as to your issue is there's something wrong with the vacuum advance. Make sure the distributor is connected to the correct type of vacuum for your set up. If it's stock and uses the ECM to advance ignition, you need manifold vacuum. Otherwise, if you have bypasses the ECM you should be using ported vacuum which will advance the timing as you increase throttle. I'm no expert but may be worth looking into. Or save yourself the headache and get the MC2150 kit.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
^+1 on the MC2150. I just put one on today and all I can say is why didn't I do this sooner. Geez this thing is awesome. If you decide to buy, go with Ehrmann's ebay kit - it's the best and he has amazing instructions. See BCDonny's build thread. My best guess as to your issue is there's something wrong with the vacuum advance. Make sure the distributor is connected to the correct type of vacuum for your set up. If it's stock and uses the ECM to advance ignition, you need manifold vacuum. Otherwise, if you have bypasses the ECM you should be using ported vacuum which will advance the timing as you increase throttle. I'm no expert but may be worth looking into. Or save yourself the headache and get the MC2150 kit.
The link in my post takes you to Ehrmann's ebay kit

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I have not gotten back to every one, work hours are killing me. That is OK, more money to get it back to happy.
Though the Weber that is on it needs to be fixed, I just as well change it out. Then put the headers and Magnaflow on as well. Carb first....:thumb:
There is only one header that I have found and this is the Pacesetter, any one know of any others and where to get them?
Thanks for the replies, this forum rocks.:action-smiley:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
if your 32-36 is a real weber and not a knock off I'd rebuild. you can tell by looking for a W cast into the carb, if it just has a sticker or nothing its a knockoff and not worth rebuilding.
you can have it rebuilt way cheaper than the 300.00 they get for the motorcraft.

they sell a header for the 4.2 on ebay thats reasonably priced and made of stainless, its made in china but the reviews on it are ok. heres a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust...es&fits=Make:Jeep&hash=item2a2fd490ce&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will look for the cast W very soon. Any idea as to the placement of it?
Thanks....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts