Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided it would be a good idea to clean my cabin filters. It gets pretty dusty on the trails here so I just blew them off with air and it worked pretty well. Problem was when I went to put them back in....

The white accordion door that goes over them was open when I removed, but closed now (I did not even have the key in the ignition). It was a little sticky to lift up, but I figured nothing would have actuated it down and couldn't find a manual release anywhere. So I naturally just pulled harder and...SNAP! I broke the damn thing where the plastic pin is connected to the servo on the right side.

I eventually figured out that this is basically a little door for when you hit the recirculate button on the AC, or in my case if you have auto temp control, it does it itself. When you recirc, the accordion opens and allows the blower to suck cabin air in. When it closes, it seals off the intake to outside only. So now I only have the option of always open, or always closed. I chose the latter, but I'm sure it will not be fun when it gets too HOT!!

Anyone else have this same issue? Any idea what it takes to fix? I'm guessing the part is way over priced and it is a PITA to change out. I do have a recall to go in for, so I may try and talk the dealer into replacing under warranty.

I just wanted everyone to be aware and watch out for this.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you have ever listened after you shutoff the jeep you hear a few electric motors running. That is all of the doors and what not sequencing and I am guessing closing to keep outside air out. That is probably how your door closed itself.

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
Yep, I did the same thing last Summer. I was on a dusty run, and decided to check the filters when I got back. First time into the filter area, lifted the flapper and snap.
I never did like the way that they will open and allow outside air in, depending on what mode you are in, even with the recirculate pushed in.
So, I just left the vent flapper in the closed position, so now it recirculates all of the time.
I am in Arizona, where the air is dusty and dirty, and full of pollen year round, plus smoke at time from our forest fires. So really this was a real plus in my case.

I told my neighbor, and several other jeepers about it, and I know that some of them blocked theirs opened for continuous recirculate.
During the rest of the Summer, the A/C worked great, and so did the heater in the winter, of which, I was up in our mountains a couple of times during the Winter, so it got a good test.

I plan on leaving mine, just the way it is, plus the A/C is more efficient this way. Mid summer, when I first get into the cab, I just roll the widows down for a couple of minutes with the A/C on high, then roll them up. If it works good in hot Phoenix, then it should work anyplace............:thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Dogger, you said you left it closed for recirc, but it should be open. Maybe it was a slip cause you said your buddy's did it right.

I was thinking I'd leave it closed so the dust always goes through the filter and can't sneak by when open. I think recirc still pulls a little outside air in. Not sure though. It's usually not scorching hot here in Socal. 90s this week is about highest it gets. I'll test her out!

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I brought my Jeep in for a recall today and the service writer was like...Hmmmm, this is for a different Jeep VIN, not yours. Chrysler had me registered as owning 2 jeeps (mine and some other one in FL). Mine didn't need the recall!

So then I asked him about the flapper door hoping they would cover under warranty. I told him I just noticed when changing the cabin filters that it didn't move. He came to look at it and here's what he told me.......The Recirc door is on the back of the system somewhere else and this is not for Recirc. He said this opens and closes based on the temp and airflow and blah blah blah. He said you can't test it because you can't make the system do it. He said it was just fine!

I argued that a buddy's 2012 moves when you hit recirc button. He said...oh that's a 2012, it's different.
WOW! This guy was just a service writer and not a Tech, so I don't beleive anything he said and he shouldn't have been diagnosing! Anyone know if there is any truth in it? Bottom line is I was hoping to finagle a warranty repair and the guy was too dumb to realize it was even broken! I couldn't say "Oh it's broken because I busted it." So I drove away.:facepalm:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to change this out once a year and I looked at this video to prepare for it...explains it pretty well...
Great video, thanks for sharing! It just pisses me off more that this guy at the dealer pretended he knew what he was talking about and was totally wrong. I might just have to go back there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another A-hole here who did this last night! totally snapped the little white hinge on the right side of the hood. Anyone have any idea if this is fixable? Anyone try to get it repaired under warranty? The car only has 300 miles on it, so I'm thinking I can bring it in & say the recirculation button doesn't work (it flashes when I try to toggle it).

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
Per my Dealer, the flapper is not serviced separately. The whole lower section have to be replaced, which is about $200 for just the part.

I just blocked my flapper up, so it will be in the re-circulate all of the time.
It works great this way, and keep all of the dust and pollen out. But mine does have A/C, Without A/C, then I guess that you will have to block it closed and use the outside vent.
I really don't see it as a big deal!!!!!!!!!!!
Because it takes less than a minute to pop out the glove box, and move the flapper!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I also have A/C, so I guess I can just leave the flapper up, which is how I keep it all of the time anyway. Just don't like that I broke something on a car with 300 miles!

·
Retired Moderator
100,462 Posts
^^^Unfortunately we all make mistakes in life, I guess that the key here, is that we learn from our mistakes!

I will guarantee you, that there is a lot more out there, that have made this same mistake, but just won't admit it.........:beerme:

·
Registered
88 Posts
So these filters are not included with the car, but a place exists for them? How would anyone ever know if not for these forums. I guess I should go online and buy them. Thanks for the video link.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah I also have A/C, so I guess I can just leave the flapper up, which is how I keep it all of the time anyway. Just don't like that I broke something on a car with 300 miles!
Are you a Nick Manning fan? :censored:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I felt the same way. Did mine at 2k miles! If your light flashes on recirc button, I would try to take it in and see if warranty covers it. Unless it's not a big deal for you. My light goes on like normal, but mine is also in up position, so maybe that's why.

So these filters are not included with the car, but a place exists for them? How would anyone ever know if not for these forums. I guess I should go online and buy them. Thanks for the video link.
Some models come with the filters. Mine is a Sahara with auto temp control so it came with them. More basic models you need to install them. I highly recommend installing. They cut the dust way down!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would think if the door doesn't move now you should be able to turn the recirc off and on and not see a change in airflow to indicate a problem.... The light should still work normally because the actuator is still moving so the computer thinks the door is too.... Obviously don't tell them you broke it and they won't know, show them it's not working and have them compare to another like model in their inventory, or just demand they look at it and let the tech tell the advisor he's a stupid a-hole for you

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's what happens with the recirculate button: My flap is in the up position, so recirculate button is off. When you push the button to close the flap, the light goes on, then starts blinking, then turns off. So it'd be pretty easy to show the dealer that there's a problem & I can't turn on the recirculation shut-off.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Funny I saw this (not for those who broke theirs obviously) as I just changed out the cabin filters this morning. Well, most of the way through he process, the door suddenly closed!

I guess i got lucky as I went in and grabbed the keys, turned on the recirc and finished up. I must have dodged a bullet as this would have driven me nuts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts