Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about using Carfax to research used Wranglers? Is it accurate? I put in my grand cherokee's vin number and it came back with 5 issues/records and wanted to charge $24.99 to view them. I know there are no issues/records with my vehicle. Do you trust this reporting source? Is there another reporting company?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
For major stuff like wrecks and dealer recall stuff, ya it's fairly accurate but keep in mind it can only look at stuff that's reported, nobody has to report doing work on their vehicle themselves.
I owned a Dodge truck awhile back and when I took it in to trade for Amy's Jeep they ran a carfax report on it and couldn't understand why nothing showed, I refused to let the Dodge dealership work on it after talking to their mechanics, I always did the work myself or took it to the Cummins dealer and apperantly the Cummins dealer didn't report work done.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Yes, insurance, police accident reports, dealership maintenance and repair.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
carfax is only as accurate as has been reported. basically as mentioned above, not everything gets reported, so not everything is going to be on the report. not even all accidents will show up on a carfax. they have to be of a certain extreme or $$ value to be reported. bottom line is they are valuable for the info they contain, but don't expect the cars complete history to be on there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Want a good way to see if a vehicle has ever had body work?? When you go to the dealership to look at a used vehicle, ask the used car manager to put a paint depth gauge on all of the body panels. I am a bmw tech, and we use them all of the time. Easiest way to see if a car has been painted, had bondo work, etc. Normal readings are about 4.0-6.0. Anything higher than 8.0 would tell me the vehicle has been painted. I am shopping for a diesel right now, and have asked salesman for a paint depth gauge, and it floors them, but it works!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts