Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I searched for this and could not find a definitive answer....I bought the Pavement Ends Cargo cover for my '14 JKU and I want to know once I install this can I still leave my soft top on? I know I have to remove my soft top to install it but once installed will I still be able to properly adhere the rear part of my soft top?

·
Registered
983 Posts
The soft top doesn't have to come off to install the cover, just push it up forward out of the way. Having said that, the cargo cover uses the tailgate bar as WebDevDan already said and also uses the tub rails that the windows and the rear part of the soft top hook into. So you could run with the the cover on and the soft top folded down on top of it but when to put the top up you would have to un-snap the cover (or remove it) so that you could put the top up. This method would also preclude running with a soft-top boot because they use the tub rails too.

http://pavement-ends.com/images/stories/installs/41827.pdf

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The soft top doesn't have to come off to install the cover, just push it up forward out of the way. Having said that, the cargo cover uses the tailgate bar as WebDevDan already said and also uses the tub rails that the windows and the rear part of the soft top hook into. So you could run with the the cover on and the soft top folded down on top of it but when to put the top up you would have to un-snap the cover (or remove it) so that you could put the top up. This method would also preclude running with a soft-top boot because they use the tub rails too.

http://pavement-ends.com/images/stories/installs/41827.pdf
The JTops USA boot doesn't use the rails or tailgate bar. I am sick of fighting with the Rampage boot I have and will be grabbing a JTops one ASAP.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The JTops USA boot doesn't use the rails or tailgate bar. I am sick of fighting with the Rampage boot I have and will be grabbing a JTops one ASAP.
Good to know. I've got a Smitybilt boot that uses the rails and while the tailgate bar isn't necessary, it does look better with it in there.

Whose window storage do you have? I use Rightline and I really don't like it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good to know. I've got a Smitybilt boot that uses the rails and while the tailgate bar isn't necessary, it does look better with it in there.

Whose window storage do you have? I use Rightline and I really don't like it.
I was just about to buy the Rightline. What don't you like about it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
With the Rightline - The good news is there is a water proof vinyl case. It also has a neoprene holder to store the windows and keep them both separated and protected. I like both of those features.
Phynal
The problems start when you roll the windows up in the neoprene. The instructions say to keep the tailgate bar attached to the rear window. Then with the three windows in their separate pockets, you roll up the kit and using the attached straps and clips, lock down the wrap. Then you insert the finished 'bed roll' down into the vinyl tube. Except you can't because it won't fit. (At least for me it won't.)

So after calling the factory and asking whether they were sure that the tailgate bar was supposed to be in there (it is according to them) their only suggestion was to 'roll it up tighter'. I tried and I failed - repeatedly. Maybe with two people rolling it's possible but not with just me doing it. So then I left the tailgate gate bar out and when I rolled up the rig, it fit. Well, just fit, and it took some time to finesse the thing down inside the tube. And all the time I'm thinking 'condoms weren't this bad...'

Then, finally, I had the tube with the windows in it (but without the tailgate bar) clipped onto the roll bars and laying on top of the soft top boot. But after driving around a while, the center of the tube slid forward and I had a 'V' like structure hanging there, bending the rear window in the middle. So now I knew why the tailgate bar is a required item - to keep you from creasing the rear window Bob! I've got some straps I made that I wrap around both the Rightline and the soft top boot to keep that from happening now. But it's not right and I'm not happy.

Personally, I'd make that vinyl tube an inch or perhaps two inches larger in diameter. Your putting a long flexible window roll down a very flexible tube. The window roll should just drop right in or, failing that, have a lengthwise zipper instead of a circular zipper to put the 'cap' on the tube. That way, you could lay the window roll in the tube and zip it up similar to my soft top boot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
With the Rightline - The good news is there is a water proof vinyl case. It also has a neoprene holder to store the windows and keep them both separated and protected. I like both of those features.
Phynal
The problems start when you roll the windows up in the neoprene. The instructions say to keep the tailgate bar attached to the rear window. Then with the three windows in their separate pockets, you roll up the kit and using the attached straps and clips, lock down the wrap. Then you insert the finished 'bed roll' down into the vinyl tube. Except you can't because it won't fit. (At least for me it won't.)

So after calling the factory and asking whether they were sure that the tailgate bar was supposed to be in there (it is according to them) their only suggestion was to 'roll it up tighter'. I tried and I failed - repeatedly. Maybe with two people rolling it's possible but not with just me doing it. So then I left the tailgate gate bar out and when I rolled up the rig, it fit. Well, just fit, and it took some time to finesse the thing down inside the tube. And all the time I'm thinking 'condoms weren't this bad...'

Then, finally, I had the tube with the windows in it (but without the tailgate bar) clipped onto the roll bars and laying on top of the soft top boot. But after driving around a while, the center of the tube slid forward and I had a 'V' like structure hanging there, bending the rear window in the middle. So now I knew why the tailgate bar is a required item - to keep you from creasing the rear window Bob! I've got some straps I made that I wrap around both the Rightline and the soft top boot to keep that from happening now. But it's not right and I'm not happy.

Personally, I'd make that vinyl tube an inch or perhaps two inches larger in diameter. Your putting a long flexible window roll down a very flexible tube. The window roll should just drop right in or, failing that, have a lengthwise zipper instead of a circular zipper to put the 'cap' on the tube. That way, you could lay the window roll in the tube and zip it up similar to my soft top boot.
Good info. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts