Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i frequently have all 4 seats filled in my jeep and if im carrying the yeti along with tackle boxes, well i just feel bad for the backseaters.. So i bought a cargo basket for the hitch from northerntool for 60 bucks to haul the stuff more easily.. When i got it the hitch insert measured a little less than 2 inches so the baskets got some play to it.. Im trying to figure out a way to tighten it up or something so it wont wobble around. Any ideas???

View attachment 269343

View attachment 269344

View attachment 269345
And it wont fit in that top hitch because the basket runs into the spare.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
Weld a nut on one or both sides of the other hole not being used in the hitch. Get some all thread. Make a t handle for the all thread. Screw into the welded on nut.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, mine wobbles side to side too but it's never been a problem. I don't typically carry anything fragile in it though and I keep things strapped down pretty tight.

Maybe a wedge or some shims would help.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 269347

View attachment 269348

Saw something like this online and will buy if it comes to it but was trying to do a cheaper easy mod. I tried some shims but didnt work too much cuz it goes up and down as well as side to side. Sccarfire, your idea sounds nice but i cant really grasp it, could you explain a little more?

Edit: nevermind i think i understand. Weld a nut over the unused holes and then weld a bar or something on the all thread to create a t to be used as a handle to screw into it to tighten it.. Sorry i just couldnt see it but thats a great idea.. I may do that

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try using a bolt instead of a pin to hold the basket into the receiver. Makes it a bit more of a pain to install and remove, but cuts down the wobbles.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill give that a try too. Its got a pretty decent amount of play in it which is why im concerned. If it was just a shake or vibrate id be okay but i can move it around quite a bit. Bought a 2" and 2.5" u bolt today at lowes but neither one was wide enough to fit around the lip on the reciever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Saw something like this online and will buy if it comes to it but was trying to do a cheaper easy mod. I tried some shims but didnt work too much cuz it goes up and down as well as side to side. Sccarfire, your idea sounds nice but i cant really grasp it, could you explain a little more?

Edit: nevermind i think i understand. Weld a nut over the unused holes and then weld a bar or something on the all thread to create a t to be used as a handle to screw into it to tighten it.. Sorry i just couldnt see it but thats a great idea.. I may do that
Do you remember where you saw this or what the item specifically was called? I'm very interested.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you remember where you saw this or what the item specifically was called? I'm very interested.
Which one? I posted two different items pictures

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I cut mine down to where the basket fits snug against the hitch and use a bolt and washers.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I drilled and tapped my receiver and installed 4 allen head screws.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I use a couple straps from the rail of the basket to the bumper.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Second pic.
http://www.stowaway2.com/store/p/601-StowAway-Hitch-Tightener.aspx
Went to lowes today and bought two eye bolts (3/8) with the included nuts. Plan on doing the first idea of welding nuts on both holes not in use and screwing eye bolt into it to tighten up hitch. If it doesnt work ill break down and buy one of those in the link. Reason im not buying now is because id rather have a quicker method to take on and off and pulling the wrench out everytime isnt timely. Unscrewing eye bolts by hand is a little quicker. Hopefully my buddy with the welder will get off work soon haha.. Really need to buy one myself i just dont have a place to put it at the moment. Ill keep posted and take pics along the way if it works for anyone interested

And thanks for all the great ideas so far, i may end up doing a combination of these ideas for a nice secure fit

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
What I always do is something like what Sccafire mentioned early in the thread - I weld nuts inside the shaft of the thing going in the receiver, and then I secure the item with bolts. I use 1/2" bolts because the head takes a 3/4" wrench, which is the same as the Wrangler lug wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same play in both my basket and bike rack. I welded a strip on 3 sides of the tube and then grinded the weld down until it fit snug. I work in a bike shop and yakima makes a threaded insert for all their bike racks to bolt them down. We put one in this guys 12 inch hitch extender that he got to clear his jeeps 35 inch spare for his bike rack. Worked great and it had zero play. Might want to try a bike shop and see if they have any of them laying around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts