Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So please chime in on ideas and opinions.
I
need a rack to put my Thule cargo box, kayak carrier, fishing gear, bike gear on my 2012 JKU for trips in the future, adventures to the beach and national parks and such. The choices I have narrowed down to includes:

1. Gobi rack - $1450 for ladder, wind deflector, basket, rack and free shipping.

2. Garvin Adventure Rack, $500, rack only. MOre for ladder, deflector and shipping.

3. Kargo Master Kongo Cage , $450 rack only. More for cross bars, wind deflector.

5. Smittybilt SRC rack, $500 rack only.

All of these are no drill in body or hardtop. I like the Gobi the best in style due to the A pillar strut being right next to the Jeeps body. Looked the most sleek and probably less of a wind noise issue. Cost is really not an issue but the less money I spend the more I have for other stuff!

Please let me know experiences with wind noise and durability. What would you purchase?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not on your list but we just put the Thule system on our 2012 Unlimited.
Works fine. No noise. We carry two road bikes up there. About 40 lbs including weight of the rack.
Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not on your list but we just put the Thule system on our 2012 Unlimited.
Works fine. No noise. We carry two road bikes up there. About 40 lbs including weight of the rack.
Good luck.
Dan

Hey Dan do you mind posting some pictures of your rack? I'm thinking about getting the Thule. Have one on my wifes Nissan. Just not sure about drilling into my hardtop.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Read a lot of info before ordering mine. Congo Cage. No drilling. I am going to have a buddy weld a plate on the front for wind and some brackets to mount lights on that. Bring the plate down to almost the bolts.

image-3157818398.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Dan do you mind posting some pictures of your rack? I'm thinking about getting the Thule. Have one on my wifes Nissan. Just not sure about drilling into my hardtop.

Thanks
No drilling on the Thule system. It uses the rain gutter system. The rain gutter on the new Wrangler seems very stout. In another thread someone wrote that it has a 45 lb weight limit. But 45 lbs with 4 points of contact sounds conservative to me. But I'm not a structural engineer. Just saying.
Check out the Thule site. You put in the make/model/year of your vehicle and the system tells you what feet/towers and bars you need. They also have a pic of what it looks like on a Wrangler.
Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
No drilling on the Thule system. It uses the rain gutter system. The rain gutter on the new Wrangler seems very stout. In another thread someone wrote that it has a 45 lb weight limit. But 45 lbs with 4 points of contact sounds conservative to me. But I'm not a structural engineer. Just saying.
Check out the Thule site. You put in the make/model/year of your vehicle and the system tells you what feet/towers and bars you need. They also have a pic of what it looks like on a Wrangler.
Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cargo top

Do what im going to do fabricate one yourself to you own specs not hard to do. Just go to your local exhaust shop tell themm you need some pipe and you need them bent to your size carrier you want. Make some brkts. Some expanded steel for floor . Save yourself about 400.00 to 800.00 $$$$$ or get with buddies and whatever makes your head go round and start fabbing

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought a Kargo Master Congo Cage on E-bay for $51.00. The rack that was with it was a seperate item, and got out-bid on it, but it only went for $130.00. Keep looking, they come up sometimes.

As a side note, I have not put the rack on yet, I need to get it from my father-in-law's house. Looking at pictures, I like it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gobi Stealth

I can't imagine regretting the Gobi rack. Tough, well-designed, easy to install. Alec at EAD Offroad, makes the ordering easy, too.

The photo doesn't show the Yakima bike carriers that I put on last weekend. 6-sp JK, but single speed bike bike -- go figure.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where did you get it for $329 and free shipping? Best I could find was about $40 more than that and I'm worried that they don't actually have it at that price or it takes a month of Sundays to deliver...

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Double Dawg said:
Where did you get it for $329 and free shipping? Best I could find was about $40 more than that and I'm worried that they don't actually have it at that price or it takes a month of Sundays to deliver...
4wd. Com. Used a promo code I found online just before ordering.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I can't imagine regretting the Gobi rack. Tough, well-designed, easy to install. Alec at EAD Offroad, makes the ordering easy, too.

The photo doesn't show the Yakima bike carriers that I put on last weekend. 6-sp JK, but single speed bike bike -- go figure.
I've decided on the Gobi Ranger rack. Just haven't decided whether to temporarily put it on the stock bumper or wait till I can get the t&t customs bumper that I'm also wanting. That reverse light cut out is just too cool for me to resist. Soo many mods, soo little time :whistling:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I looked at the Ranger, but the Stealth is better suited for carrying boats, which Ruby had mentioned.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a kayaker I am loving my Gobi rack and no drilling

·
Registered
96 Posts
And I got the stealth

1 - 20 of 39 Posts