Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ripped out my carpet from my TJ( it was thin crappy carpet). I want to get something a little nicer but not Cadillac nice. I was looking at Rugged Ridges brand any comments on whether its as nice as they say.

thanks

S

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Raptor line it.... easy enough, not any louder, or hotter that I notice, and much, much, much easier to keep clean.... and rust free :)

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
applying bed liner to the tub is a really popular thing now. i used roll on herculiner on my tub, chucked the carpet, and never looked back. i would highly recommend that over getting a new carpet. plus, you can bed line it (which will also help prevent body tub deterioration), and then put carpet over top. before i lined my tub i got the vinyl "carpeting" that you had to cut into shape yourself, it was horrible. i screwed it up so badly i had to throw it out half way through the project. it was a waste of $200. if you do decide to go with carpeting though, go with the pre-cut it will save you time and a headache.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any of you have images of the lined tub? Would like to see what it looks like before I commit to it.

Thanks

S

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Mines a bit dirty, bit I can try to take a picture after lunch

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I have a few from right after I had it done... please disregard the muddy foot prints, for some reason, my driveway has turned into a mud pit no matter what the weather.... ;)

It's one of the best things I've done for my Jeep :) The floorpans were rusting due to grit getting under the carpet and being ground into the paint, without my knowing it was there... plus the water that gets in that you don't see under the carpet....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about the rattling of the shifter console? right now on our wonderful back roads in Texas that thing just drives me nuts with the rattling and banging. I suppose I would have to wedge something under it?

How much did it run to line it ...ballpark figure?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
My console rattles a bit, but mostly I think it's just the stuff in it. It's bolted down well, but not firm against the tub. You could always put some thing under the lips on it to keep it from rattling. I have a buddy who sprayed mine, he charges $250 I think for a Jeep... includes materials and removing interior. Honestly taking out the interior stuff wasn't very hard... the worst part was finding all the screws to put it all back :D

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
How about the rattling of the shifter console? right now on our wonderful back roads in Texas that thing just drives me nuts with the rattling and banging. I suppose I would have to wedge something under it?

How much did it run to line it ...ballpark figure?
it depends on the liner. herculiner is about $90 for a kit that will do 2 thick coats on the bed. don't go with a cheap liner like or rattle can liner, i mad that mistake with the first body tub on my cj. go with a quality liner.

here is a before:

here is after:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't seen any aftermarket carpets, but I understand wanting to keep it. I like having carpet in my Jeep. If you're ambitious enough, maybe you can find a nice material and use your old carpet as a template to make your own.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I herculined mine and the added a carpet behind the back seat. Autozone had a roll for $10. Cut it and shaped it so it would keep everything quite back their. Still have alot left over and thinking of covering the interior wheel wells.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I used herculiner. It actually made it quieter and I had some rust so it stopped that too. Looks better than carpet and you can spray it out

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
JCWhitney runs the molded carpet sets for $179 which isn't a bad price. Just search google for Wrangler TJ carpet and you'll get a ton of results. Granted, I'm also in the boat that would suggest Mosterlinering it and chucking the carpet out. Mine's out and I've never looked back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to do a spray liner. I did like it when I ripped out my carpet but its gotten to the point I need to do something that makes it look a little nicer.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was quoted 550 for the tub for LineX and that is if I took everything but the driver's seat out. Another place told me 800. If you can get a good liner down for 250 bux, I would be on that like white on rice. I do not think I would use a DIY method, I am competent, but it will never be like a shop that does it for a living. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Carpet sucks, it holds moisture that not only gets smelly it also ends up rotting out the tub. Liner not only protects the tub but it looks cool, so do what we cool kids do and line the tub, let the geeks keep the smelly carpet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So one last question. Do any of you with the lined tubs have floor mats like the slush mats or have you tossed those out as well?

S

1 - 20 of 23 Posts