Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 05' JKU and I took out the carpets, because I wanted to preserve them for some reason. I kinda liked it. I want to do it with my 10A but am torn between doing it or not. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Another vote for no carpet. I don't use my windows all summer and I wash the jeep with the top down and use the back like a pickup bed. If I had carpets they'd be moldy and trashed. They go back in during the winter when I have my hard top on.

Another upside: if you have any leaks you don't have to notice or care

·
Registered
22 Posts
I vote no carpet. Pulled it all and lay a couple coats of herculiner bed liner and I couldn't be happier with it! Very easy to clean

·
Registered
281 Posts
No carpet for almost two years. So much easier but I too remove the windows almost all summer so she gets washed without. . Makes it easier to get the dirt out! I don't have a fancy jeep though. Carpet looks a little nicer, but way less functional.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pulled mine after two days of ownership. I got rained on my second day and the carpets we soaked. They came out easy and I decided to just leave them out, between sudden rain storms in Florida and two kids riding in the jeep I figure there's no need for the carpet. I may get brave and do the bedliner mod.

·
Registered
33,308 Posts
I took my carpet, herculined the inside and sold the carpet.

When I carpet and it even looked like rain I would have the top up, now I'll set out driving with bikini top and no doors in the rain because I don't have to worry about the carpet getting wet and nasty.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be nice to not have to worry about mildew and wet carpets. I had my 05' carpet out and did like it.

I vote no carpet. Pulled it all and lay a couple coats of herculiner bed liner and I couldn't be happier with it! Very easy to clean
I took my carpet, herculined the inside and sold the carpet.

When I carpet and it even looked like rain I would have the top up, now I'll set out driving with bikini top and no doors in the rain because I don't have to worry about the carpet getting wet and nasty.
I looked at Line-X and would really like to have the whole floorboard of the vehicle done.

How is Herculiner bed liner? Is it durable? Is it easy to install?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.

·
Registered
33,308 Posts
It would be nice to not have to worry about mildew and wet carpets. I had my 05' carpet out and did like it.

I looked at Line-X and would really like to have the whole floorboard of the vehicle done.

How is Herculiner bed liner? Is it durable? Is it easy to install?
Holding up real good. It only peeled in one small spot were I didn't prep to good, in a hurry.

It has a rougher texture than some other products, but I got it on sale and did the whole inside tub for $59
about three and half years ago.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Took the carpet out of our 2010 and liked it for a while but I missed the carpet too. Never bedlined but that's a great option as well. Keeping the carpet in the 2013 at least until something catastrophic happens to the interior.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Might be a silly question, but once you pull the carpet, where do you store it if you are kepeing it or re-installing it later?
I have never pulled my carpet, but assume it is form fitted to the interior, so it probably doesn't just fold up, right?
The idea of lining the interior is appealing, but have to wait a bit till I build my "fun" funds back up.
Outside in the garage shed. Since the carpet is in about 4 pieces, it doesn't take up as much room as you'd think. I'd guess about 2' x 3' tops.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could also maybe either put it on the top of a rack or maybe in your attic. I would just stack each piece on top of each other so you do not fold them.

Holding up real good. It only peeled in one small spot were I didn't prep to good, in a hurry.

It has a rougher texture than some other products, but I got it on sale and did the whole inside tub for $59
about three and half years ago.
Sounds like something I want to check out. Like I said I want to do the whole Jeep..

How hard would it be to remove the seats?

Took the carpet out of our 2010 and liked it for a while but I missed the carpet too. Never bedlined but that's a great option as well. Keeping the carpet in the 2013 at least until something catastrophic happens to the interior.
I feel the same, but if I can get it bedlined then I would really just like to have my slush mats.

·
Registered
33,308 Posts
You could also maybe either put it on the top of a rack or maybe in your attic. I would just stack each piece on top of each other so you do not fold them.

Sounds like something I want to check out. Like I said I want to do the whole Jeep..

How hard would it be to remove the seats?

I feel the same, but if I can get it bedlined then I would really just like to have my slush mats.
That's the way I did mine, removed seats, console, foot man loops and seatbelts. Wasn't hard to remove those things.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pulled my carpet because I have a dog that sheds. I was going to LineX, but didn't want to spend anymore on the Jeep right now so I bought AEV floor liners. I really like this set-up.
I still haven't received a quote from LineX... Do you have an Unlimited? and if you do.. do you mind telling me what they quoted you at?

That's the way I did mine, removed seats, console, foot man loops and seatbelts. Wasn't hard to remove those things.
Dude.. I really want to do this (I am enjoying DIY projects), but I have limited skills. What would you rate the difficulty and how is it putting back together?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You're right it doesn't just fold up. I kept mine in the attic over the garage, and before that in the second bedroom of our old apartment, right next to the TJ's hardtop. That was fun carrying up the stairs with my wife!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts