Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i remove the carpet on my jk myself, or is it complicated? and what liner should i use if im gonna do it myself

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
This is the second Jeep I've run with no carpet, and no liner (yet)

There are some round tabs that screw in and a small section at the back seat you'll need to cut a bit (no biggie). It's super easy, just jump in and start tearing it out.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Easy to remove yourself. Loosen the 4 bolts that hold in the center console and take them out. That will make removal a lot easier. Just jump right in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I removed the carpet today on my JK and it was very easy. Look behind the pedals for two plastic tabs which pop right out and there are also two on the passenger side. If you want to pull the front seats out then you wont have to cut the carpet at all, but I didn't and had to make about a 1-2 inch cut on the carpet at the nut that secures the seat to the body closest to the door. All in all it took me about 25-30 min to pull all of the carpet. I have read that if you have a sub woofer that there is a bolt there which holds the carpet down on the JK's but mine wasn't that case. So that is one thing to look out for. I can see where Kadonny said to loosen the center console bolts which I did not do, but I do see how it could make it easier. All in all its a really easy job that doesn't take a lot of time. Good luck :D

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You shouldn't have to cut the carpet to remove it, but the factory bolts the seats down after the carpet is installed so sometimes the carpet is caught under the seat bolts. The carpet is designed to be removed without unbolting the seats or anything else though.

I don't have carpet or any kind of bedliner. Only down side is that the metal gets kinda hot on my feet with sandals on and my floor mats have started to rub away the paint down to bare metal. The rest of the tub is fine as is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just cut it because I'm not gonna put it back in, even if I do it's a very small cut so I'm not too worried about it :)

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Ditto Mike -- at worst you'll need to "pull hard" on the carpet where it might be slightly captured by the seats. But you shouldn't need to cut anything. Just yank.

Took that chit out of mine a year ago and never looked back. The way Wranglers leak when it rains, I'd just as soon not have that Pampers-backed fabric lying in my floorboards holding in moisture indefinitely.

I ran bare paint for about two weeks till my BedTred came in. Installed that in about two hours one evening. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, the factory carpet is cheap, thin, and really not worth the hassle of keeping it in if not a strick daily driver. It attracts dirt/funk. Smells like crap when wet. You have my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ditto Mike -- at worst you'll need to "pull hard" on the carpet where it might be slightly captured by the seats. But you shouldn't need to cut anything. Just yank. Took that chit out of mine a year ago and never looked back. The way Wranglers leak when it rains, I'd just as soon not have that Pampers-backed fabric lying in my floorboards holding in moisture indefinitely. I ran bare paint for about two weeks till my BedTred came in. Installed that in about two hours one evening. Couldn't be happier.
How easily does it come in and out and is it flexible? My concerns just as with the carpet and mopar mats is salt still manages to get past to the bare metal. And at the price of those BedTreds it might more beneficial in the long run to just Line-X or equivalent the entire floor board.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Why? What do you think LineX does better than BedTred? I'm not being argumentative -- truly interested in your thoughts on that.

Personally, if LineX was $300 cheaper than BedTred, rather than vice versa, I'd still go with BedTred.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It looks like moisture and salt can still get up behind the BedTreds just like the mats and carpets, that's why I think line-x would be better.(atleast for me)

I removed my front carpets last week after a long winter and salt had gotten past rubber mats, and carpet. Hated it and have been looking for w solution.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Well, I forgot to add that I pulled all 9 drain plugs permanently when I took the carpets out, so that takes care of moisture -- anything that gets past the Tred goes right out the bottom. And we don't have snow, and when we do (a day or two every other year or so), we don't have salt. So nothing I've ever even thought about.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
NoGaBiker
I looked at the BedTred on their site and it looks interesting. How is the noise with them in?
I have the Bedtred too and love it. The noise is no greater than with the carpet. Bedtred is basically rubber carpet, look at it that way. It gives you the sound and heat protection of carpet but with waterproofability.

Regarding the carpet removal and cutting, I too had to cut my 2010 carpet. There was no seam to allow the one leg of the passenger seat to come out. You either cut it or unbolt the seat, no other option.

I've been saying I just don't understand why Chryco can't put an option in for a rubber floor. My 08 Ford Sportrac has the rubber floor from the factory and I love it. It would be a perfect option for the Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
It looks like moisture and salt can still get up behind the BedTreds just like the mats and carpets, that's why I think line-x would be better.(atleast for me) I removed my front carpets last week after a long winter and salt had gotten past rubber mats, and carpet. Hated it and have been looking for w solution.
It can't wick through the bedtred like it did your carpet. This past winter, the anchors for my slush mats would allow melted salty slush from my boots to wick directly into and through the carpet. The bedtred is going to be impermeable on the top side. They're like little tubs, not going to wick water.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
NoGaBiker
I looked at the BedTred on their site and it looks interesting. How is the noise with them in?
What Kadonny and CiarraKerry said. Put it in and forget it's there. Search this site for "Bedtred" and my pictorial install thread will come up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I pulled my carpet a couple months ago and used Herculiner and wrapped all the wires in plastic conduit. One of the best things I ever did. I also run the Mopar slush mats over the Herculiner.

Do you have a pic without the carpet?
Before and After...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pulled my carpet a couple months ago and used Herculiner and wrapped all the wires in plastic conduit. One of the best things I ever did. I also run the Mopar slush mats over the Herculiner.

Before and After...
How long did it take for the hurculiner to cure? Looks nice and i am thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How long did it take for the hurculiner to cure? Looks nice and i am thinking of doing the same thing.
Thanks, there are a bunch of tips I can give you if you really want to use the Herculiner, but two coats, put the second one on an hour after the first and then wait 24 hours before reinstalling anything.

The biggest thing is the prep work, it took forever, it turned out to be a 3 day project...painting was the easy part.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts