Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a 2019 or 2020 new wrangler. I am getting bad information. CAn someone confirm if I need the technology package to have Apple CarPlay work? I’ve also heard it only works with the larger screen and I have to see what trim/option package. (Do I need technology package for Sirius) I see CarPlay on some window stickers.

Lastly, is Uconnect a subscription service that is needed?

·
Retired Moderator
100,716 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
69 Posts
You will need either the 7 or 8.4 display, both support CarPlay. The smallest display does not support CarPlay.

The 7 display is part of the technology group package, the 8.4 is in the infotainment group (only for rubi / Sahara) I do not believe you can get them standalone without a package

Sirius should be on all trims/displays.

I have the technology group. I tried uconnect but could not register my vin. I did not look into this much as I had onstar on Chevy and these systems generally give the manufacturer lots of benefits by grabbing your personal data while offering limited value to the customer (just my opinion).

·
Super Moderator
10,664 Posts
:welcome: to WF!

I have a Sahara with the 8.4” screen that came with Android Auto and CarPlay standard.

“Technology Package” wasn’t even an option. So, I’m guessing No...

·
Registered
40 Posts
You will need either the 7 or 8.4 display, both support CarPlay. The smallest display does not support CarPlay.

The 7 display is part of the technology group package, the 8.4 is in the infotainment group (only for rubi / Sahara) I do not believe you can get them standalone without a package

Sirius should be on all trims/displays.

I have the technology group. I tried uconnect but could not register my vin. I did not look into this much as I had onstar on Chevy and these systems generally give the manufacturer lots of benefits by grabbing your personal data while offering limited value to the customer (just my opinion).
I got an error on my VIN as well. Had to register it through SiriusXM Guardian and then it worked on the UCONNECT app. You can use the app to remote start, remote lock, locate your vehicle, etc. Should be free for 12 months once you activate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the bigger screen is only in the technology (radio) package and standard on higher trims. Didn’t realize CarPlay came to the wrangler in 2018, thought it was 19.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,664 Posts
Yes, my 2018 has CarPlay and Android Auto.

Never use it, though. Seems to add complexity to the interface instead if simplifying it.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
My Son connects his iPhone to my 18' carplay whenever he's with me. As far as UConnect.... I might have kept it after the free 12 months if they were sane with the price.
No where near on the value scale.

·
Retired Moderator
100,716 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Son connects his iPhone to my 18' carplay whenever he's with me. As far as UConnect.... I might have kept it after the free 12 months if they were sane with the price.
No where near on the value scale.
Any idea what the cost would be after the first year is up?
It is nice little app for free
Thank you

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a 2019 Ford Ranger and a couple of months ago Ford made their Sync 3 package with remote start free for life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts