Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm at a loss here on what to think. On one side, I read up all this information about carrier breaks for the Dana 30 front end on my TJ.

Now, I took my jeep in to get regeared and provided all the parts they needed, new carriers, new pinions and rings, and master kits. They called me today and said they were all done, but they didn't need to use the new carrier for the front because the old one worked out fine and the pattern came out good.... Say what!?

I went from 3.07 to 4.56.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok, I'm at a loss here on what to think. On one side, I read up all this information about carrier breaks for the Dana 30 front end on my TJ.

Now, I took my jeep in to get regeared and provided all the parts they needed, new carriers, new pinions and rings, and master kits. They called me today and said they were all done, but they didn't need to use the new carrier for the front because the old one worked out fine and the pattern came out good.... Say what!?

I went from 3.07 to 4.56.

This should be interesting to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly don't know a LOT about differentials, but as a Mech Eng, I feel like i understand the fundamentals. I honestly ahve no idea how they could even get a good pattern with that large a step in ratios and the size the pinion would change...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,383 Posts
They probably installed a "thick" ring gear which eliminates the need to swap the carrier when installing a low ratio set of gears. A thick style ring gear is able to fully engage the smaller diameter pinion gear of a low ratio set of gears.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I provided all the parts. So it was not a thick ring gear.

I stopped down and he kept telling me it was good and the pattern came out right. But said he'd install the other carrier if that what I wanted. Sadly that's what I told him on the phone that morning but said if he wanted to look at the other carrier first that'd be fine but to install the new one. Said there was a misunderstanding there. Now I have concerns as he kept saying he hopes he doesn't have problems installing the new one etc. I'm not sure he understands the Aussie locker and how to remove and reinstall it. Not sure it's common around here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Could it be that you already had a 3.73+ gearing ratio and didn't realize it?
This is what I was thinking. I had a TJ sport and all of them that I knew of came with 3.73 stock. Never Checked into 4 banger version but there again I can't recall ever hearing a 3.07 set up this will be a first.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I verified it before but my build sheet also said it was 3.07. Now PO could have changed it but I doubt it since it was basically stock when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
847 Posts
The smaller 4.56 pinion would likely not even contact the ring gear on the 3.07 carrier, not enough to get any significant contact anyway. So you either ended up with a thick gear set or you do not have a 3.07 carrier. That or your mechanic has issues.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This is where and why I'm so puzzled. I wouldn't think you'd get a good pattern or enough contact with the wrong carrier, or to do so, you'd have the pinion way too far into the diff. But again, I'm no expert and a few google and forum searches found instances where it appears it can be done. I went back down last night after they had closed to try and see if I could check what the gear ratio came out of the back, but the jeep was back in the garage and on the lift. Pretty sure I checked the gears when I had it out to install the locker.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the gear set I purchased from ECGS. When I emailed them my shopping list to verify I had what I needed, they confirmed it.

Motive Gear Dana 30 4.10 TJ Ring and Pinion Gears

So I really don't know how they got it to work, unless I did somehow already have the right carrier/3.73 gears installed. My mind is playing tricks on me thinking maybe I didn't verify. I really have no idea until I can get it back and look it over along with the ring and pinion and carrier I get back. But it that turns out to be 3.07 and the carrier for it, I don't know how the shop got a good pattern.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update. The shop installed the new carrier. Said they didn't see much of a difference. After looking up the deck dimension changes of the carriers, it looks like it's around 1/8" (0.138" to be exact). I just hope they got the locker installed right. Haven't had a chance to really test it out yet. Just got it back yesterday and now I need to try and get the savvy shifter cable adjusted correctly.

I was having problems with it before I took it in, but didn't have time to get it right. Sadly I'm having an awful time getting it right and it didn't come with any directions.

Then I need to trace why my wipers and washers aren't working. Thought it was the ignition switch. Replaced that and that didn't fix it. I'm not getting voltage to the fuse, so there's got to be a wire loose or a connector gone bad...I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts