Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Previously, on Star Trek, I added two junkyard F350 tranny coolers to the front grill. They work really well here in Colorado, keeping my tranny Miles Davis-cool against our steep roads that eat the weak. (A fun game is to predict the number of vehicles dead on the side of the highway). I was going uphill on I70 away from Denver (6% grade) doing the "under load" testing tonight (this is in my other thread, Jeep dies at 50mph+ under throttle only, any help would be appreciated) when I noticed I was pouring smoke.

I thought "Hmmm, any possible oil spillage from tooling around previously should have been burnt off by now. And that's a lot.".

Dude, I looked like Russell Casse cropdusting the wrong field on Independence Day.

But I'm super glad it was night because I noticed a yellow light on the pavement to the left of my vehicle.

That's a faerie light. It brings tidings of mystery and mischief. In this case, it means fun firey fire. If you ever see flickering yellow/orange light reflecting on the pavement next to you, you have very little time. Stop IMMEDIATELY, cuz shits on fire, yo. 馃敟

I almost lost a '97 Chevy 1500 because of a loose spider fuel injector assembly (which was my fault. But to be fair those things are a pain to replace and stupidly finicky!) I had rolled into my destination (the climbing gym in South Austin, cuz it was cool, brah) and knew I was on fire from the black smoke coming out from the edges of the hood and my wheel wells. I ran into the nearest building for a fire extinguisher. They didn't have one, but their neighbors did. That delay almost took it. When the hood was popped the additional air gave the split second skunk decision to flee or spray. I saved it but it caused two weeks of resoldering an entirely new wiring harness and junkyarding connectors and parts that were fire damaged. Ever since then I've always carried one of my own red bottles.

People have mentioned that it's silly and that I'm just trying to look like a dumb Jerp Person.

It's not silly.

Tonight I [email protected]#$ing needed it and I am so happy I had the foresight and the unfortunate previous experience to have one with me.

I pulled over and I still had 1/3 of the Jeep in the road. Is what it is.
I fell out of the Jeep like a graceful fainting goat and hopped back up to grab the extinguisher from my back cubby. (Fun aside: I have cut out the area just in front of the back gate where the jack is kept, all the way from left to right. You can fit chains and stuff there. It's just empty space with a drain plug.)

Your brain works fast but you're still clumsy.

Fumbling to pull the safety pin and squeeze the trigger in the dark took five seconds longer than my first sexual encounter. It's true, seconds count and it could have been worse. (TWSS)

Tranny hose had a tiny slit in it right next to where it was hose clamped onto the OG metal tranny line. I'll inspect that later and bend the line to prevent any further rubbing, as well as checking for anything sharp or burred on the OG tube or in the vicinity. Now that the fire was out (Jesus those headers get RED hot going uphill under heavy throttle. Check it out some random night. Kinda terrifying.) I was super worried I might be stranded as I didn't have the foresight to carry extra tranny fluid with me (hey, it's really expensive nowadays, even for generic!). But I got even luckier because when adding the tree-fiddy coolers, I had to fill the system with more fluid to account for the additional displacement. I had actually filled the additional volume, and then also overfilled the whole system by a quart. (Also, I know tranny fluid should be at the correct amount, but that's not what caused the incident. Tranny PSI doesn't get high enough to pop a hose, unless you've got physical damage to one. (What, like 40-60psi?)

Glad I did, because I probably lost 2-3 quarts. This dipstick checked his dipstick after a quick repair (cut off the end with the slit/damage and reattached it and clamped it down again. My dipstick was now perfectly marked just below the Max Hot line from what I lost. Bahaha!

I drove back home coasting down I70 in neutral, where I hit 67 from a rolling start of 15mph! Then I was an asshat going 42mph on the highway with my hazards on. Not many people on the roads, fortunately. Tomorrow I'll perform a higher quality repair and check all of my line connections.

I know y'all be a knife crowd, but for forks sake, carry a fire extinguisher. Someone, or you, may need it one day.

Cheers, friends. Thanks for the read.

Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
Having dealt with vehicle fires on a few occasions, I鈥檓 glad to hear that you got it out fast and without injury! All the fires I鈥檝e dealt with were tactical vehicle鈥檚 trailers where the brakes locked and caught fire, almost always it was the LVS lowboys. I have always carried one and will always carry one, amongst a few other things. Great advice though!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having dealt with vehicle fires on a few occasions, I鈥檓 glad to hear that you got it out fast and without injury! All the fires I鈥檝e dealt with were tactical vehicle鈥檚 trailers where the brakes locked and caught fire, almost always it was the LVS lowboys. I have always carried one and will always carry one, amongst a few other things. Great advice though!
Thanks! It puts a bit of pep in the step afterwards. Holy smokes I've never seen a brake fire. Time for YouTube.

Registered
I would rather have one and never need one than not have one and need one.

Placement is also very important. Having one in the back is great if you can get to it easily or need one for someone else's fire, if you roll and catch fire, an extinguisher in the back is useless. After I flopped I realized this and mounted a second extinguisher on the floor in front of my seat, where I can get at it when belted in. I lose a bit of floor space but having it within reach when sideways or upside down is priceless.

Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
Always amazed how much folks will spend modding their jeeps then cheap out on buying a good fire extingisher. Only thing that's going to save you should a fire start! Stand on the side of the road and watch it burn to a crisp for lack of a 100 dollar extinguisher. I went with a HALON extinguisher because years back had a fire on my 300Z twin turbo! Well I got the fire out but did almost as much damage to the engine electronics as a fire with all that freaken powder from the extinguisher.

You've given excellent advice imo telling people to get smart and carry an extinguisher. I think it's a small price to pay for something you hope you never need. Better to have and not need, then need and not have!! BTW don't believe you can even buy HALON extinguishers anymore because of the climate terrorists....

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Premium Member
From what I have read about Jeep fires鈥ne fire extinguisher is never enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was Director of Maintenance for a large property management company here in Colorado. We always purchased the simple powder ones for every house. The HALON ones would be nice, but honestly "cheaping out" isn't really that big deal. Truly your chances of destroying your electrics is just simply higher with a fire. Protecting your electronics is the last thing on your mind as you'll need to do a good looksee to survey damage anyway. The chances aren't that high that you'd ruin anything with the powder. After all, your connectors etc should be protected with either electric grease or the connector itself. Nothing a good blow out with an airhose couldn't fix.

By the way, that idea of having one at your feet in case of a rollover...that's smart. Might not do at my feet, but within reach for sure. Really want an underseat lockbox...

Super Moderator
I have one with its bracket so I mounted it to the roll bar above the front seats. That way it鈥檚 reachable from either side quickly. Just flip the little retaining strap and it鈥檚 down. I have been trying to shake it lose the past month or so and hasn鈥檛 budged yet. I used zip ties as a temporary solution, but am going to snag up some screw style hose clamps for something more sturdy.

Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
I was Director of Maintenance for a large property management company here in Colorado. We always purchased the simple powder ones for every house. The HALON ones would be nice, but honestly "cheaping out" isn't really that big deal. Truly your chances of destroying your electrics is just simply higher with a fire. Protecting your electronics is the last thing on your mind as you'll need to do a good looksee to survey damage anyway. The chances aren't that high that you'd ruin anything with the powder. After all, your connectors etc should be protected with either electric grease or the connector itself. Nothing a good blow out with an airhose couldn't fix.

By the way, that idea of having one at your feet in case of a rollover...that's smart. Might not do at my feet, but within reach for sure. Really want an underseat lockbox...
I disagree to some extent on some type of fire extinguishers. In point of fact the extinguisher I used to put out my 300Z twin turbo did in fact cause some electronic damage and made a terrible mess of the engine bay. I do agree the cheap extinguishers are better than having the vehicle burn up. Fortunately my insurance company covered the repairs on my Z but it wasn't inexpensive. The newest non residue extinguishers are however ridiculously expensive imo. However for something like a boat or aircraft I wouldn't consider any that are ABC or BC charged. Any extinguisher in good working order is however preferable to the fire itself imo.

While these will be effective for helping put out the fire, most ABC or even BC extinguishers leave a residue behind. This residue will corrode the components of servers and electronics and could essentially be more destructive than the original fire itself.

Premium Member
I had one I used in my Corvette a few years ago. I only had it with me because I was attending an automotive event that required it. Used it to help put out a brush fire along a highway that had just started.

I have mine mounted in the Jeep on the roll bar in back. Yeah, it might not get used. But it is not only required it's peace of mind.

Good point on having one in a more available position in case of roll over and being trapped, but still alert.

Registered
The problem with most fire extinguishers is the mounting location. Placing them on the roll cage in the rear of the jeep doesn't allow rapid access; when I finally figure out a decent location, you can rest assured that I'll post it.

Super Moderator
Here鈥檚 where I put mine. The zip ties are only temporary. I wanted to see how it would work out being right there before I used some screw clamps. I鈥檒l be putting the clamps on soon. I鈥檓 also going to take the metal strap off of the other mount I have and attach it so the extinguisher is held by two instead of one.
Light Human body Vehicle Automotive lighting Finger

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Head restraint

Registered
Here鈥檚 where I put mine. The zip ties are only temporary. I wanted to see how it would work out being right there before I used some screw clamps. I鈥檒l be putting the clamps on soon. I鈥檓 also going to take the metal strap off of the other mount I have and attach it so the extinguisher is held by two instead of one. View attachment 4543618
View attachment 4543619
I thought about it, however, I have an over head cross bar, lets me mount remote heads for the radios, etc, as well as the 2012 sound bars are a bit larger.

I also have a larger extinguisher - 10lb refillable. I'm starting to think outside of the jeep may be the best location for me.

Super Moderator
Backside of the center console maybe? I don鈥檛 know what the inside of the JK looks like.

Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
Here鈥檚 where I put mine. The zip ties are only temporary. I wanted to see how it would work out being right there before I used some screw clamps. I鈥檒l be putting the clamps on soon. I鈥檓 also going to take the metal strap off of the other mount I have and attach it so the extinguisher is held by two instead of one. View attachment 4543618
View attachment 4543619
Looks pretty good there. With my luck however the damn thing would come loose, knock me in the head causing me to crash! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Check out Element E50: 50 SECOND DISCHARGE
More than 4x longer than a 5lb fire extinguisher bottle
COMPACT & EASY TO USE
30cm (10.75") tall, 3.2cm (1.2") diameter, 230 grams (0.5lbs) weight
Portable & fits almost everywhere.
MAKES NO MESS / LEAVES NO RESIDUE & ECO-FRIENDLY
No mess, non-toxic, non-corrosive, environmentally friendly
ZERO PRESSURE DISCHARGE
Will not spread oil & liquid fires
SAFE & MAINTENANCE-FREE
No moving parts or compressed gas to ever service
WEATHERPROOF and unaffected by extreme temperature, humidity, or vibration. Safe to store in wet environments.
Element can safely be stored in vehicles that live in hot climates

Reactions: bill61

Registered
I have an Element 50 mounted at the side of my driver鈥檚 seat.
Decades ago I saw a guy with a carburetor fire at the light across from me. By the time the light changed he had a pretty good fire going (probably burned his car to the ground). That鈥檚 when I decided to start carrying a fire extinguisher. I used one for a grass fire from a downed power line during a lightening storm and another for a careless roommate鈥檚 fireworks fire. Thank goodness I haven鈥檛 had to use one for my vehicle.

Registered
I've got a 2.5 pounder on the roll bar. I carry a 5 pound in my tow rig because shit happens. Nothing to do with being a Jeep person, it's just the right way to be. I had to put my truck out as a teenager with 2 T shirts and some Gatorade. Could have been bad.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts