Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
273 Posts
Growing up around farming and ranching equipment and dry crop and grassland we had a FE on every machine and vehicle. I swear I’m going to buy a couple elements but for now my Jeep carries a 5lb ABC in the back and a halon under the front seat.
Only time I ever used one in a road vehicle fire was a woman we later learned probably had a massive MI and died behind the wheel of her Buick. She hit a parked vehicle and her vehicle was on fire when I got there. There were 2 vehicles that had stopped and called 911 but they were just waiting and watching. I jumped out of my ranch truck and grabbed a 10lb from the rear rack at the same time a semi driver ran up with one. He and I used our FEs to break a side window and unloaded them inside her car and he grabbed another 5lb from his truck. We suppressed fire but couldn’t extinguish it with what we had. Emergency 1st responders arrived as we went empty and moved out of their way.
In the end, it didn’t make any difference to the driver or the vehicle but I never want to be without one or more good FEs.
Yeah I’m gonna order a 2 pack of element 50s.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
I have my Hal Guard in the back of the Jeep like many do. Not the fastest place to get to but it is also not my first line of defense. I ran across BlazeCut, an automatic fire suppression system that does not cost much more than quality 2.5 pound extinguisher. Hopefully between the two I am covered.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery Automotive lighting Trunk

Reactions: JCoeJ and cthusker

·
Registered
641 Posts
Echoing OP and others with a personal anecdote- A couple years ago I ran into almost same situation as OP in NM driving up to Telluride from Texas in my Wrangler. As the incline started going a couple hours into NM I noticed smoke from what I thought was my exhaust. Took me too long to process but finally realized it was me, it was from under left side of Jeep and that we had a problem. Pulled over to assess. I had added a custom rear mounted (relocated muffler and put it where muffler was) fan assisted transmission cooler (I have a Maggie SC and Intercooler in front of radiator and didn’t want to triple stack cooling devices) and my lines burst. We all think it was from heat stress with the lines being too close to exhaust and headers and that either pressure change from altitude or long hours from Dallas to NM pushed the stress over the edge and killed the line. All that caused my leak onto my nice warm exhaust lines and thus and my need for fire extinguisher. Agree with all, critical to have at least one and have it within reach, I’m no fan of the rear roll cage mount, I never have passengers! For solutions - I have been running the DV8 fire extinguisher mount that sits on the floor in front of and mounted on my passenger seat. I’m tall and can reach easily from driver seat (unbuckled to be sure). Doesn’t rattle. Easy to grab. Leaves enough room for passenger feet unless in the size 14+ range. I have a lockbox under driver seat for other emergency items that need more certain security, so went passenger side and it’s been tested with quick access twice. Seeing these E50 devices that others mentioned makes me think I’ll switch to those. Forum always good for some intel!

·
Registered
06 TJ SE 2.4L 6spd, 79 CJ5 258ci 4spd, 83 CJ7 258ci auto
1,309 Posts
To each his own personal safety comfort zone, never had one installed in any vehicle, I don't carry an EpiPen in case I suddenly acquire an allergic reaction to bee stings either. Now I realize, off roading, extreme conditions exerted on a vehicle can determine a need, but daily driving or mild trailing, I see no need, and those whom have had the rare and yes it's rare fire incident and it helped, hooray! And if you own a vehicle subject to spontaneous combustion...get another vehicle.
As far as placement, if you can't reach it in the most severe case, turnover, seat belt trapped, it's useless, it's primary use ought to be to save it's occupants, as far as the vehicle burning down, that's what's insurance is for, let it burn, dig out the s'mores and hotdogs.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,173 Posts
Echoing OP and others with a personal anecdote- A couple years ago I ran into almost same situation as OP in NM driving up to Telluride from Texas in my Wrangler. As the incline started going a couple hours into NM I noticed smoke from what I thought was my exhaust. Took me too long to process but finally realized it was me, it was from under left side of Jeep and that we had a problem. Pulled over to assess. I had added a custom rear mounted (relocated muffler and put it where muffler was) fan assisted transmission cooler (I have a Maggie SC and Intercooler in front of radiator and didn’t want to triple stack cooling devices) and my lines burst. We all think it was from heat stress with the lines being too close to exhaust and headers and that either pressure change from altitude or long hours from Dallas to NM pushed the stress over the edge and killed the line. All that caused my leak onto my nice warm exhaust lines and thus and my need for fire extinguisher. Agree with all, critical to have at least one and have it within reach, I’m no fan of the rear roll cage mount, I never have passengers! For solutions - I have been running the DV8 fire extinguisher mount that sits on the floor in front of and mounted on my passenger seat. I’m tall and can reach easily from driver seat (unbuckled to be sure). Doesn’t rattle. Easy to grab. Leaves enough room for passenger feet unless in the size 14+ range. I have a lockbox under driver seat for other emergency items that need more certain security, so went passenger side and it’s been tested with quick access twice. Seeing these E50 devices that others mentioned makes me think I’ll switch to those. Forum always good for some intel!
Some good points and interesting story. Having said that I have mine mounted on my rear roll bar and have practiced a few dry runs doing everything except discharging the FE. It literaly takes me about 15 to 20 seconds to jump out, open my rear gate and window then free the FE. Granted it would be less if it was mounted in the front but I'm reasonably sure that I can get it fast enough under most circumstances. Granted a roll over would be a different situation and the FE might not be reachable without a lot of effort or at all.

Bottom line if you're one of those not running without an FE do yourself a big favor and install one.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It's silly to not carry one. Remember to not put it where only you can find it. Put it where someone who has never met you before can find it.

We had a guy pay off his rzr and cancel his insurance. First time he went out a small fire turned into a fully engulfed fire in a matter of seconds. Left his truck keys in it too, poor guy couldnt even drive home.
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think all of your responses are really cool and sometimes it's really fun getting a discourse going.

@cthusker All of you got my thoughts going and since I work from home, I figured staying on hold with GEICO claims would be no problem. While a fire extinguisher may damage electrical components, GEICO says they DO cover damage to electronics from fire extinguishers (also they cover rodents chewing wires, which was another argument between myself and another person at one time :p). That pretty much settles it for me. A $20 fire extinguisher is far far far better to have with you than nothing at all. I didn't know that it could damage electrical components, so that was cool to learn. But it's true that you may not damage anything at all, and if you did, you've got the back up of insurance. BUT, I think @Jay2011JK nailed it with the Element E50 I think which also supports your stance. I'm not sure how much you meant for people to spend on one, but as an $80 extinguisher, the E50 is not that much of an investment. I'm not a fan of that gentle "misting" action, but it does look effective in YouTube videos. I don't think one should rule out one of the simple home extinguishers, as those are better than nothing and let's face it, your wallet really shouldn't prevent you from going offroading and having a bit of fun.

@armyvet25 Thanks for the response, it's cool to hear a different viewpoint, even if I disagree.
I'm not sure if the EpiPen is really a good comparison.
Firstly, per Google, you need a prescription for one. You're not going to even be able to get one if you don't already have an allergy.
Secondly, the chances of suddenly acquiring an allergy are infinitesimally tiny compared to a possible vehicle fire.
By your logic, you shouldn't bother carrying a first aid kit, emergency kit, jumper cables, or even wear a helmet on a motorcycle (okay, that last one is a bit drastic of an example).
If we're comparing inconvenience, one might have to remember to grab their EpiPen on an outing since one usually carries it on their person rather than leaving it in their glove box all the time. You don't have to remember to grab an already-mounted extinguisher.
An extinguisher is $20 at Wal-Mart or HD. The $80 Element E50 extinguisher is a much smaller itemthat doesn't damage electronics, that's much cheaper than an insurance deductible and either are worth having. You could even simply put that small E50 in the pocket behind your passenger seat and still be able to reach it when you're pinned in a seatbelt.
In that severe case, sure, it's useless, but that goes for any item one might need in a severe case. Not having a communication device when you're stranded or injured, etc etc etc.
But small fires that could engulf your vehicle do happen, as we've got electricity and gasoline running through our vehicle. A wire rubbing and exposing itself, a random oil leak, parking over grass that's taller than you thought, a fuel leak, etc etc.
My fire extinguisher was in the back in a spot that I couldn't reach if I was pinned, but it was in a spot that took up no room and I saved my Jeep.
In that severe case, instead of roasting s'mores, why would you not save the occupants and the vehicle?

Food Gesture Finger Font Nail

Sorry for that big paragraph, it's slow at work!

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,173 Posts
To each his own personal safety comfort zone, never had one installed in any vehicle, I don't carry an EpiPen in case I suddenly acquire an allergic reaction to bee stings either. Now I realize, off roading, extreme conditions exerted on a vehicle can determine a need, but daily driving or mild trailing, I see no need, and those whom have had the rare and yes it's rare fire incident and it helped, hooray! And if you own a vehicle subject to spontaneous combustion...get another vehicle.
As far as placement, if you can't reach it in the most severe case, turnover, seat belt trapped, it's useless, it's primary use ought to be to save it's occupants, as far as the vehicle burning down, that's what's insurance is for, let it burn, dig out the s'mores and hotdogs.
I've carried FE's in all my vehicles for many years and only used them twice. Once for my 300Z and another time for a vehicle fire I saw on the side of an interstate highway. A family with kids was standing on the side of the road jumping around as their mini van was starting to burn. I'm a LEO but wasn't on duty but figured hey that could be my wife and kids standing on the side of the road. Stopped and put the fire out before it really did a lot of damage. No idea what caused the fire but they called a wrecker service while they sat in my 4Runner. Of course a NJ state trooper showed up when everything was under control lol I was happy with the outcome for the people with the exception of having to get my freaken FE recharged. lol Small price to pay imo.

Had I not had one in my 300Z it would have burnt to a crisp as it was a GD oil fire. I had the oil changed while at my folks place in south NJ. The IDIOTS didn't put the oil cap back on which dripped oil down to the turbos... poof!! A freaken nice oil fire going while I was hammer down on the GSP. That old style extingisher worked but did a job on some expensive electronics which was covered by insurance. My thought is everyone has different disaster tolerances and therefore should equip their vehicles with whatever works for them.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
@armyvet25
Secondly, the chances of suddenly acquiring an allergy are infinitesimally tiny compared to a possible vehicle fire.
By your logic, you shouldn't bother carrying a first aid kit, emergency kit, jumper cables, or even wear a helmet on a motorcycle (okay, that last one is a bit drastic of an example).
If we're comparing inconvenience, one might have to remember to grab their EpiPen on an outing since one usually carries it on their person rather than leaving it in their glove box all the time. You don't have to remember to grab an already-mounted extinguisher.
Bullshlt ---> The national average is one fire per 19 million miles driven. That's all vehicles, not just Jeeps, but plenty of articles on the Fiat Stelantis fire controversy's so if you own one of them turds and are scared of the boogie man, by all means, get one. People develop allergies all the time, and your other comparisons are common vehicle safety/maintenance items. And you wouldn't grab an EpiPen unless you already had an allergy...non logic post.
And no I'm not upset or mad at your reply, just continuing to play devil's advocate😈
And....you failed to actually read or comprehend my post, as I did state "for" them if you have a need(second sentence first paragraph)
Some of those fire stats included were intentionally started. But carry one, carry two whatever makes you feel all fuzzy and warm at night lol. I don't let fear dominate me, but common sense, again, if there's a need due to situation/circumstance...crappy new Fiat/Stelantis...Electric battery operated....required by law, Id carry one, I'm not against them.:cool:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Vehicle fires aren’t the only reason to carry a fire extinguisher. Camp mishaps occur.
yep, why I said if the "Need" dictates, all for it, I carry one on a boat, at camping, any extreme trail riding especially when fire danger present

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
  • Sad
Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hilarious writing. I carry a 2.5 pounder next the driver's seat.

My quick vehicle fire stories

My old Jeep club has a Renegade. It did fine in the Everglades until we were driving to Sonny's BBQ and I guess all the grass that packed in around the turbo dried and caught fire.

College summer job: I was driving a county water company truck (F350) when smoke starts pouring out the grill. Pop the hood and the alternator bursts into flames. Luck was on our side, we were re-installing about 50 fire extinguishers that needed their annual inspections. So I had half the bed full of them. We shot off several of them and the fire kept coming back bigger and badder each time. It was obviously an electrical short. I wasn't until we used an empty to knock the negative terminal off the battery did it actually stop. But we saved the truck.

Clothing Footwear Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
I disagree to some extent on some type of fire extinguishers. In point of fact the extinguisher I used to put out my 300Z twin turbo did in fact cause some electronic damage and made a terrible mess of the engine bay. I do agree the cheap extinguishers are better than having the vehicle burn up. Fortunately my insurance company covered the repairs on my Z but it wasn't inexpensive. The newest non residue extinguishers are however ridiculously expensive imo. However for something like a boat or aircraft I wouldn't consider any that are ABC or BC charged. Any extinguisher in good working order is however preferable to the fire itself imo.
Yeah... I've seen first hand the kind of damage abc extinguishers can do. I wouldn't want my jeep back after an abc gets fired off in it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
  • Fire Extinguisher: Class II ATVs (includes Jeeps, SUVs, and sand rails) and Class IV ATVs (side-by-sides) must be equipped with an approved dry chemical-type fire extinguisher that has at least 2 lbs. capacity. Class I ATVs and ORMs are excluded from the fire extinguisher requirement.
Required on public land in Oregon......

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just curious..... Most common fire extinguishers are CO². So, it would stand to reason that any CO² dispersal system would work similarly.

Power Tank CO² systems are popular and very efficient tire reinflation systems. They almost always carry more CO² than your typical car fire extinguisher. Wouldn't that suffice?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just curious..... Most common fire extinguishers are CO². So, it would stand to reason that any CO² dispersal system would work similarly.

Power Tank CO² systems are popular and very efficient tire reinflation systems. They almost always carry more CO² than your typical car fire extinguisher. Wouldn't that suffice?
Dry chemical is most common, because it can be used on most fires. ABC rated. For your vehicle either would likely suffice. But the "some A" would be a help where dry chem could help prevent fire catching further on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts