Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nearly everything mentioned in post 1 in my garage and nearly that much in my Jeep.
Over the years there has been some creep in what I carry and I now have way too much stuff. I have enough tools to be able to work on most any Jeep, but am now trying to pare down the load.
Looking to no longer carry a full set of SAE and Metric wrenches, sockets, both deep well and regular, etc…
Trying to decide what I can safely jettison, but have encountered analysis-paralysis. Not looking to go bare-bones, just do a meaningful purge and keep what is most likely needed as I need more room for camping gear and the like. In other words, do I NEED full socket sets and wrenches in BOTH metric and SAE, and if not, the most probable sizes I’d want, that sort of thing.
Info here is a bit more extensive than I want to tote: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jk-basic-tool-set-2348921.html
Trying to avoid packing like this: https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trail-bags-tool-bags-2344997.html#post34114415
This is in addition to my recovery gear.
Appreciate any thought/feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
A first step may be to look at what spare parts you are caring and what tools you need for those. Then look at what on trail repairs you are likely to encounter that you don’t have spares for. Also look at what can be done with a crescent wrench or two versus wrenches and sockets. Think you’ll be shocked at how few tools you will come up with. I carry all my tools, except tire changing breaker bar and socket, in a 12” x 6” x 8” bag. In my 15 or so years of wheeling I have never needed something I didn’t have, knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Wow, great thread. I just pulled out my Rubbermaid Action Packer where most of my tools are and I'm guessing it weighs 60 pounds. It does have the Hi-Lift jack head in it but otherwise I think I have too much crap. But I'm still trying to figure out how to pare down as well. If something on the suspension comes loose you need big sockets, a big ratchet/breaker bar, ratchet straps, etc. Deep sockets in some places, and in others the deeps won't fit so regulars.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Most important tool for me is my Glock 23 and two spare mags. We never know when we're going to run into some illegal aliens or drug smugglers.

Note: My Jeep is stored at my Arizona winter house, which is 40 miles from the border. A lot of our runs are down by the border.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
Wow, great thread. I just pulled out my Rubbermaid Action Packer where most of my tools are and I'm guessing it weighs 60 pounds. It does have the Hi-Lift jack head in it but otherwise I think I have too much crap. But I'm still trying to figure out how to pare down as well. If something on the suspension comes loose you need big sockets, a big ratchet/breaker bar, ratchet straps, etc. Deep sockets in some places, and in others the deeps won't fit so regulars.
With all due respect, that’s why you do a periodic nut and bolt of the suspension, or before each big run. With a properly torqued suspension the likelihood of something coming loose is remote. And if something did come loose, a crescent wrench could tighten it enough to get home. Just trying to get your kit pared down. Peace, Lee.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
With all due respect, that’s why you do a periodic nut and bolt of the suspension, or before each big run. With a properly torqued suspension the likelihood of something coming loose is remote. And if something did come loose, a crescent wrench could tighten it enough to get home. Just trying to get your kit pared down. Peace, Lee.
No offense taken, that is a good point. And it is exactly what I do. What my (probably) irrational concern is that I have a problem 2 days into a two week wheeling trip and a crescent wrench might not cut it. I've also had one extraordinarily rare trail damage event, and thank God I had a set of hard core wire cutters (which otherwise don't make a ton of sense for trailside Jeep repair) otherwise I might still be out there.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
No offense taken, that is a good point. And it is exactly what I do. What my (probably) irrational concern is that I have a problem 2 days into a two week wheeling trip and a crescent wrench might not cut it. I've also had one extraordinarily rare trail damage event, and thank God I had a set of hard core wire cutters (which otherwise don't make a ton of sense for trailside Jeep repair) otherwise I might still be out there.
Yup, experience is a huge part. I alway look at others trail carnage and determine my exposure.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I've been meaning to go through my trail tools. I'll bet my assortment of bags is ~100lbs in total. I have a full socket set, standard and metric open end wrenches, prybar, bfh, e-tool,c-clamp, the list goes on.

I think I'm going to lay out everything and really take a hard look at what I carry.

In all my YJ wheeling days I never broke the same thing twice, but always carried spares for what I broke: center pins, ujoints, ubolts, brake lines.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
2 weeks ago was a good reminder why I have a 12 point 13mm and a 36mm socket in my bag. 40 Jeeps on our ride any no one had those 2 tools required to remove the unit bearing to get a broken front axle shaft out.

So my contribution to the tool list is:

• 13mm 12 point socket
  • 36mm socket

I carry a full set of 12 point sockets (impact), 2 sets of 6 point sockets (1 impact, 1 regular), torque wrench, full set of wrenches, torx set, allen set (SAE and Metric) as well as hammer, pry bar, screw drivers, misc bolts, etc. 2 action packers worth of tools. Plus a couple of jacks.

I don't carry a lot of spare parts, just a couple of u joints.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
OK, here's my current inventory
Leatherman, never used
Vice grips, used
Screw drivers, used
Torx set, allen style, never used
Wrenches MM, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, have used a very few.
Wrenches, 9/16, 3/4, 7/8, 13/16, have used a few
Axe, never used
Crescent wrenches, 10”, 12”, used several times
Channel locks, used
Duct tape, never used
Small sledgehammer, used
Plug kit with extra glue, used several times
Colby valves
Shifter bushings. 68064273, never used
Fuses, never used.
Assorted zip ties, never used

Weighs 16 pounds.

My approach to wrenches and sockets, if it does not fit anything that I can reasonably repair in the field I don’t pack it. Yes, I realize someday I will need something I don't have.

Here's my bag, with plenty of room to add as I mod and need something extra. Critiques welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Here is my confirmed setup...
pry bar
4 way
bfh
c-clamp
basic socket set
deep standard sockets
deep metric sockets
set of torx sockets
set of female torx sockets
36mm socket
breaker bar
metric box wrenches 8-17mm
standard box wrenches 7/16-15/16
standard ratcheting wrenches
metric and standard allen key sets
bag of misc wires, zip ties, fuses, test light, tube of rtv, wire stripper, wire cutters, electrical tape.
first aid kit
e-tool
u joint tool
receiver d ring
snatch strap
highlift base
high lift gear bag with stuff to use as a winch.
winch bag with gloves, clevis, tree saver, d ring
dry bag of clothes
rain gear cover
power tank and bag
spare blanket

the red bag in the upper right side holds all the recovery gear

the green bag in the lower left holds all the tools, bfh, and black electrical bag.

i think i’m going to create a wheeling box to store the gear in. this way i can remove the box when i’m not wheeling. i’ll carry a basic set of gear daily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I'd like some input on pairing down my tools. I weighed my "box" and it was 76 pounds (although that includes my HiLift jack head, regular base, and wide sand base). I'm trying to have just what I need to get back to civilization. The following are things I think I can junk (and then why):

- 1/2" drive ratchet (because I have a 3/8" flex head extendable ratchet, socket adapters, and a 1/2" breaker bar)
- full set of metric combo wrenches and a few English wrenches as well (I'm thinking a thin head crescent wrench and a pair of larger vise grips would grip just about everything I need, and in a "get home" scenario I am less worried about buggering a bolt head).
- one of two vise grips I'm carrying (I have one regular and one needle nose)
- one (or both) pair of channel lock pliers
- my absurd set of driver bits for screws (which goes beyond torx and hex to security torx, security hex, etc.)

I'll still carry some sockets, lots of bits (hex, torx, Phillips, straight, etc.) and a couple of different drivers for them. I also have a pry bar, hammer, etc.

Wondering lastly about a c-clamp--some mentioned it, but not certain what I would use it on?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Nice thread, and gave me some ideas. The next thing besides tools, is security. When you run a soft top, there will always be that idiot who thinks they can take what’s not there’s. I was thinking of keeping the back seat out permanently, and maybe installing a Tuffy lock box.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Nice thread, and gave me some ideas. The next thing besides tools, is security. When you run a soft top, there will always be that idiot who thinks they can take what’s not there’s. I was thinking of keeping the back seat out permanently, and maybe installing a Tuffy lock box.
I love my Tuffy rear deck. It allows me to keep my tools locked up when I run naked in the summer time. I added some LED light to find things easier. :)

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I put in a tuffy this summer, so glad I did. I fought over if I should go with the 299-01 (stationary) or the flip up. I decided to go with the stationary, and I’m super happy with it. Only have to take two bolts out if I need to remove it. The flip up style would be more work to remove completely and I just couldn’t think of too many scenarios where the flip up would give me, personally, an advantage. Added some black vinyl diamond plate to the top and it looks nice.

The LED is a nice touch. I might put one on a recessed switch on the side now :)

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Tuffy rear box, model 0326, though any brand would work. I just liked that one as it is very easy to install or remove and the top swings up to better facilitate loading and added a battery-powered LED lamp. I bolted a Bestop Universal 41444-01 HighRock tray (https://www.bestop.com/products/universal-tray/) to the lid of the Tuffy box

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
I love my Tuffy rear deck. It allows me to keep my tools locked up when I run naked in the summer time. I added some LED light to find things easier. :)

Very nice. I just got sticker shock, when I saw the price on Quadratec.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts