Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any safety factors regarding carrying a CO2 tank in my Wrangler to use for airing up tires?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure it isn't over-filled. It had a knucklehead at a welding supply shop do that on a Powertank I had in a Land Rover and it gassed out. Thankfully I hadn't started driving when I got dizzy and figured something was wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've carried a pair of the small 20 oz bottles for years now. One is bagged inside the Mopar saddlebag and one is mounted to the rear upright part of the roll cage. The exposed one sees Texas sunlight (through tinted hardtop windows) and, though filled only to 19 oz, has lost it's charge several times by rupture of the safety disk. The covered bottle has never lost it's charge. So, gnarly as it looks, the mounted one now rides inside.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The only thing to worry about is securing so it doesn't become an unguided missile during a violent maneuver or accident. As for excess pressure due to temperature the tank valve should have a safety release valve.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Weigh the tank when empty and mark it on the tank. When they fill it up, weigh it again. If it's the summer months, then use some of the CO2 so it drops to 1/2 lb under full weight so that you have some leeway for gas expansion.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,878 Posts
Mount properly so the valve isn't exposed to banging around and you are GTG. This looks like overkill, but it is IMO this PowerTank version is the most secure product on the market. It is adjustable from 5lbs to I think 20lb tanks.

Attachments

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Us 2 door guys can't get a 15lb tank on the roll bar with the hardtop on and it still be accessible....I used powertanks hangman mount and modded it a little for the rear roll bar.....I'll go take a pic.....

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts