Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 yj and just rebuilt the carb(minutes ago) and it still tries to die while in gear. I seems to idle ok in park. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I rebuilt a Carter BBD years ago and it was just junk. I have never had anything but trouble out of them. I had a Dodge truck at one time that had the Carter Thermoquad. It was ok but when it started acting screwy, I replaced it with a Holley.

·
Registered
99 Posts
On another thread here a few days ago posters were saying that the Carter is junk to go with a Weber.

·
Registered
600 Posts
you might also want to check fuel pressure, at idle a low fuel pressure will keep you running but starve out undr a load. I think your load pressure should be between 14 and 20 lbs. of pressure. and 30 lbs in an uncharged system.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Carb problems

I have an 87 yj and just rebuilt the carb(minutes ago) and it still tries to die while in gear. I seems to idle ok in park. Any ideas?
I scrapped the Carter POS and put in an MC2100. Solved my problems. Was able to pull all the air control systems. No emissions garbage where I live.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
That is a great write up. I am sure it would be much cheaper than the Howell kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts