Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my RK lift on this weekend and got it aligned today. They said the caster angle is off and even if I adjust the LCA's all the way down they will still be off. Best way to correct it with AEV Geometry correction?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If an alignment shop doesn't know that they can get adjustable ball joint sleeves for it I would find another alignment shop. Adjusting the caster with LCAs changes the driveshaft angle. You should set the driveshaft angle with the LCAs, and set the caster with balljoint sleeves. If the sleeves won't get you enough then you can get the rest with LCAs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK he said he could straighten it out with a 90 part or something plus labor. Learning all this lingo as I go. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
huh,

wtf is a ball joint sleeve?

never heard of it.

the best way to get caster back is to install adjustable front lower control arms. there really isnt a better way.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
huh,

wtf is a ball joint sleeve?

never heard of it.
It's a sleeve that installs around the balljoint that allows you to change the steering axis in relation to the axle housing. It may just be an offcenter balljoint for the JK instead of a sleeve. Either way, it's out there.

the best way to get caster back is to install adjustable front lower control arms. there really isnt a better way.
No, the cheapest and easiest way to adjust it is with LCAs. The best is with balljoints.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have about 1/2" left on my LCAs to adjust. The mechanic said the little bit left I have to adjust wasnt going to be enough to correct it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I remember correctly the offset balljoint is to adjust the camber not the caster. The caster setting for a lifted Jeep is different than the stock specs, what degree angle is he trying to adjust it to?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure. I would have to double check. Gonna drive it for a bit and see how it handles.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If I remember correctly the offset balljoint is to adjust the camber not the caster. The caster setting for a lifted Jeep is different than the stock specs, what degree angle is he trying to adjust it to?
They can adjust either of them or both depending on what offset you get and which direction they are installed.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you're at +6.6 and the pinion angle is OK I would call it a day. That's a ton of caster.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hey JMC, you installed the RK 2.5" MT lift, yes? Same as me?

I set my LCA per the RK instructions. I had mine aligned at the dealership and they didn't mention anything to me about not being able to align it properly. My steering wheel is a little soft and I get some slight wandering on the road, but it's nothing I didn't expect going up to a 35" tire. Just by looking under my Jeep I can tell my pinion angle has changed (obviously) but it's driving just fine so far.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to just shorten the LCAs all the way down and be done with it I think. 5.4 Degree is acceptable according to the alignment sheet. so its not that far off.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Correct, offset ball joints correct Camber, LCA's can adjust Caster. Just did the offset upper ball joints today, along with replacing the lowers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts