Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I purchased the Teraflex 2.5 spring kit with Rancho shocks recently. I was going to install myself, but this has since changed. One reputable shop here in Dallas recommended not installing the correction brackets. They stated they have taken more off than they have installed and at times they are related to death wobble. Keep in mine, I told them I had them already and they said they charge an additional hour to install with the lift.

With that in mind, what are your guys thoughts? I find it odd that a reputable shop advised against it, when they could make money installing the part.

The lift is the Teraflex 1351002 on a 18 JKU with 285 75 17's.

·
Super Moderator
23,401 Posts
are you sure they are not talking about cam bolt caster correction. Quality geo brackets ie AEV, Rancho, JKS etc properly torqued are not going to cause death wobble. They do need to be torqued at 5000 mile intervals just like the rest of your suspension.

Reactions: jdinny and Rancho

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you sure they are not talking about cam bolt caster correction. Quality geo brackets ie AEV, Rancho, JKS etc properly torqued are not going to cause death wobble. They do need to be torqued at 5000 mile intervals just like the rest of your suspension.
I provided the name and part number. These specifically are the Rancho brackets.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
If a shop is really telling you that Rancho geometry brackets (or any other quality geometry brackets) can cause death wobble I would look for a better shop. I would hope it is a communication failure there, but sadly they may not understand how things work.
I would not hesitate to install the brackets. I would also rather do the install myself, cheaper and I know the guy doing the work cares that it is done right.
Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Installed the Rancho correction brackets on my JK a few weeks ago. It has a 2.5 Coil spring Teraflex lift on it. Very happy with the brackets and would highly recommend them. No issues.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree. Maybe the shop just doesn't deal with a lot of JK's??

·
Registered
929 Posts
Leave this shop alone they don't know what they are talking about I have a 2.5 teraflex lift with .5 pucks for a total of 3" lift with fox shocks...had a bit of a vibration at 75mph installed Geo brackets torqued them down no problems for the last 4 years. This is the main reason why I install my own stuff these shops that offer advice are offering opinions not advice and that's stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Another alternative to the Geo brackets are the TeraFlex Sport Lower Front Control Arms. TeraFlex designed these to be just long enough for a 2-3" lift; they address caster and do not reduce your ground clearance.

I run them on my JKU with a TeraFlex 2.5" lift.

Very simple install too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I plan to sell my brackets that I have not yet installed. I plan to install the Teraflex Lower Control Arms. I have never heard the brackets cause DW.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Are adjustable LCA (or these teraflex specified) all you need with a 2.5” lift? I thought you need both upper and lower? I have geo brackets and am happy with them, but I’d like to gain that little bit of ground clearance back if that’s all it takes to correct geometry.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Adjustable arms allow you to set caster. You only need the lower arms, so that is what most do. But adjustable arms (or longer fixed length arms) only adjust / correct caster and do not correct the control arm geometry that gets messed up when you lift. Geometry brackets adjust caster and the correct the control arm geometry, flattening out the control arm angles which allows the front suspension to work better. You will get better ride quality with geometry brackets then you can with adjustable / longer control arms. Only you can decide which is more important to you, ride quality or that minor decrease in clearance.

·
Premium Member
8,604 Posts
Are adjustable LCA (or these teraflex specified) all you need with a 2.5” lift? I thought you need both upper and lower? I have geo brackets and am happy with them, but I’d like to gain that little bit of ground clearance back if that’s all it takes to correct geometry.
What upper and lower adjustable control arms provide is the ability to move the axle around and restore the proper wheel base for the vehicle. In my case I actually extended my wheelbase about an inch total. But geo brackets will still provide the best ride.

Reactions: JeepJeepBeepBeep

·
Registered
231 Posts
Regardless of the dealers position on it. I would not let them install it for an extra hour of labor. Way too easy of an install that you can do anywhere.

Plus you get to ride it home, see how it feels and then install it yourself.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had it all installed at a different shop yesterday. They did not charge anything additional to put the brackets on. All is good. Rides nice, looks a lot better and my tires do not rub anymore. Thanks guys for all the responses.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I very much doubt that they'd increase the chance of death wobble. I'd think even if you don't really need the brackets, they'll decrease the chance as they do increase caster vs no bracket. What's worthwhile to check is to do an actual measurement of the lift once it's installed and settled. There's good measurement threads around WF. What I've found in taking measurements is often that the lift expected is not close to the resultant lift. What's on your Jeep, the kit and if that's all you're using to lift makes a difference. For example, my JKU currently has 2.5" of ridged spacer lift in the front. I have a stubby steel bumper and winch and the spare is removed from the rear and is in the cargo area. The measured lift is a smidge over 1.5" in the front. So there ya go. In my case, there's zero need for brackets or longer LCAs.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The brackets do much more for your JK than LCA's
I've had it both ways, and the brackets make the JK ride better, handle better, all but eliminate brake dive, and lessen the angle of the front DS

Reactions: jadmt

·
Registered
34 Posts
2.5" MC lift with all 8 CAs. Ran it for awhile, it was fine, very satisfied. Got a wild hair and wondered how it would ride with correction brackets. Installed the Ranchos and it's even better, extremely pleased. Not concerned with gc, the loss is minimal imo, and will not affect what I do.

Handling is better all around, on and off road.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Anyone use the cam bolt elimination kit with AEV brackets? I have a Teraflex lift and the instructions say use this kit with a non-AEV lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts