Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I bought my first Jeep (2011 JK Unlimited Sahara) a couple months ago and I just finished installing the 1.5" TF leveling kit along with some rubicon takeoff shocks. I noticed the steering pulls to the right after the installation. Got an alignment done and the caster was 3.43 on the driver's side and 3.18 on the passenger's side. I've read though several threads that my number should be closer to 4-5 and a front adjustable lower control arm should help bring my numbers up. I’m looking at the non-adjustable LCAs and most of them are for 2.0 - 3.5 lifts. Will these work for the 1.5 leveling kit as well or should I just get the adjustable ones? Also, is it really bad to drive the Jeep like this?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Get the adjustable LCAs. You will have the flexibility of adjusting to any caster you need and not have low hanging correction brackets.

Reactions: jhsocal

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
There are fixed control arm and adjustable control arm options. Pressurized knows this better than I do, but as I recall the TeraFlex fixed length control arms have a fairly small amount of correction, versus the JKS fixed length control arms which have a larger amount of correction and would likely be too much correction for you. Other options include Synergy, but I don't recall where they fall in the scale of correction.
Adjustable arms are also an option, but they do require more effort to set. I do like having the option to adjust, that is what we have on ours. But adjustables are not for everyone. Some prefer the simplicity of a fixed length arm that allows them to bolt it on and forget about it.
As to the pull, that may be from the tires, or a brake caliper dragging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend the ADJUSTABLE CONTROL ARMS | FRONT-LOWER by Rough Country?
Tires are new JL Rubicon takeoffs, doesn't seem to be dragging, maybe too much psi?

There are fixed control arm and adjustable control arm options. Pressurized knows this better than I do, but as I recall the TeraFlex fixed length control arms have a fairly small amount of correction, versus the JKS fixed length control arms which have a larger amount of correction and would likely be too much correction for you. Other options include Synergy, but I don't recall where they fall in the scale of correction.
Adjustable arms are also an option, but they do require more effort to set. I do like having the option to adjust, that is what we have on ours. But adjustables are not for everyone. Some prefer the simplicity of a fixed length arm that allows them to bolt it on and forget about it.
As to the pull, that may be from the tires, or a brake caliper dragging.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Hey everyone, I bought my first Jeep (2011 JK Unlimited Sahara) a couple months ago and I just finished installing the 1.5" TF leveling kit along with some rubicon takeoff shocks. I noticed the steering pulls to the right after the installation. Got an alignment done and the caster was 3.43 on the driver's side and 3.18 on the passenger's side. I've read though several threads that my number should be closer to 4-5 and a front adjustable lower control arm should help bring my numbers up. I’m looking at the non-adjustable LCAs and most of them are for 2.0 - 3.5 lifts. Will these work for the 1.5 leveling kit as well or should I just get the adjustable ones? Also, is it really bad to drive the Jeep like this?
So, you have an axle like mine... Your cross caster is backwards. You have higher caster on the drivers side and lower on the passenger side, it's supposed to be the other way around. The side with higher caster will steer the Jeep away from that side. Cross caster is used to correct for road crown which is built in to roads to help keep cars from crossing the center line. The road pushes you right on purpose and the Jeep is supposed to have a slight tendency to go left. You, like me have everything going to the right...

I spent a lot of time on mine and while it's backwards, it somehow still falls within FCA's specifications so they wouldn't help me with it... Solutions: Best overall is to put in an offset ball joint. But most of those are only stock quality. If you don't beat up your rig offroad, that's a great choice. Another option and what I chose is a gas charged steering stabilizer. They are pressurized and "push" the tie rod to the left constantly which offsets the right pull. Unfortunately, its not adjustable, you get what you get... Mine is pretty balanced now and I can let go of the wheel for a long time and she runs pretty straight.

But, mess with that stuff after you get your caster up. Higher caster also helps with a wander. Caster is what creates the return to center effect we get when we let go of the steering wheel, most prominent when going around a corner. I personally don't typically like Jeeps with 3.5 or less of caster. The steering is too light and they usually don't feel very solid to me...

So now to get to the other question... Stock front lower control arms are 22-5/8" long from eye to eye. It's just a ballpark, but I'd say you get around 1° of caster per 1/8" of adjustment. (I really need to do some experiments and pin that down)

The TF Sport LCA's are 22-13/16 eye to eye. That 3/16 would mean that they would give you around 1.5° additional caster. The Synergy Fixed LCA's are 22-7/8 eye to eye. That 1/4 should give you around 2° additional caster. The JKS J-Link is 23" eye to eye. That 3/8 should give you around 3° additional caster.

On a 2.5" lift I like to start people at 22-15/16 if using adjustable arms. You are a little lower and need a little less adjustment, so I would choose between the TF and the Synergy. I personally like the way the Synergy arms are bent for additional tire and ground clearance. My daughter has them on her JK with 1.5" lift and they work great. But all 3 are good products.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend the ADJUSTABLE CONTROL ARMS | FRONT-LOWER by Rough Country?
Tires are new JL Rubicon takeoffs, doesn't seem to be dragging, maybe too much psi?
I started my post above about an hour ago and had to go help my wife and came back to it... So you snuck a post in. ;) The Rough Country arms have been known to have joint failures...

If you want adjustables, choose the Core4x4 from Allen's Offroad. @AOR does a great job helping us Jeepers and the arms are an excellent product at a great price. He was running a promo with free upgraded hardware, but not sure it's still available. I linked the Tier 2 arms, but they have Tier 3 also that are a small upgrade.

https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspe...-2007-Present-Front-Lower-Adj-Control-Arm-Set

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU so much for the information. This really helps me out.
I'm thinking I'm going to move forward with the TF Sport LCA kit. Just to confirm, these are the correct ones?
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-2-5-3-lift-front-lower-sport-flexarm-kit

So, you have an axle like mine... Your cross caster is backwards. You have higher caster on the drivers side and lower on the passenger side, it's supposed to be the other way around. The side with higher caster will steer the Jeep away from that side. Cross caster is used to correct for road crown which is built in to roads to help keep cars from crossing the center line. The road pushes you right on purpose and the Jeep is supposed to have a slight tendency to go left. You, like me have everything going to the right...

I spent a lot of time on mine and while it's backwards, it somehow still falls within FCA's specifications so they wouldn't help me with it... Solutions: Best overall is to put in an offset ball joint. But most of those are only stock quality. If you don't beat up your rig offroad, that's a great choice. Another option and what I chose is a gas charged steering stabilizer. They are pressurized and "push" the tie rod to the left constantly which offsets the right pull. Unfortunately, its not adjustable, you get what you get... Mine is pretty balanced now and I can let go of the wheel for a long time and she runs pretty straight.

But, mess with that stuff after you get your caster up. Higher caster also helps with a wander. Caster is what creates the return to center effect we get when we let go of the steering wheel, most prominent when going around a corner. I personally don't typically like Jeeps with 3.5 or less of caster. The steering is too light and they usually don't feel very solid to me...

So now to get to the other question... Stock front lower control arms are 22-5/8" long from eye to eye. It's just a ballpark, but I'd say you get around 1° of caster per 1/8" of adjustment. (I really need to do some experiments and pin that down)

The TF Sport LCA's are 22-13/16 eye to eye. That 3/16 would mean that they would give you around 1.5° additional caster. The Synergy Fixed LCA's are 22-7/8 eye to eye. That 1/4 should give you around 2° additional caster. The JKS J-Link is 23" eye to eye. That 3/8 should give you around 3° additional caster.

On a 2.5" lift I like to start people at 22-15/16 if using adjustable arms. You are a little lower and need a little less adjustment, so I would choose between the TF and the Synergy. I personally like the way the Synergy arms are bent for additional tire and ground clearance. My daughter has them on her JK with 1.5" lift and they work great. But all 3 are good products.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
THANK YOU so much for the information. This really helps me out.
I'm thinking I'm going to move forward with the TF Sport LCA kit. Just to confirm, these are the correct ones?
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-2-5-3-lift-front-lower-sport-flexarm-kit
Yes, and Allen can probably get you a forum discount on those too if you PM him @AOR for a quote.

Good luck!

By the way, this is just more reinforcement on the every Jeep is a little different comment we often make. You'll see guys proclaim that no caster correction is needed up to 2.5" and yet, here we are at 1.5 and looking to raise it...

Reactions: AOR and jhsocal

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Yes, and Allen can probably get you a forum discount on those too if you PM him @AOR for a quote.

Good luck!

By the way, this is just more reinforcement on the every Jeep is a little different comment we often make. You'll see guys proclaim that no caster correction is needed up to 2.5" and yet, here we are at 1.5 and looking to raise it...
Yes Sir!

Actually just add to cart on these.

Depending on your Jeep, you may need more than these will provide you in caster. Typically that is the scenario for 2dr JKs though.

Have a great day all.

Allen

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
282 Posts
I have the Teraflex Sport LCAs on my JKU with 2” lift. Ride improved immensely. I didn’t bring it to an alignment shop, so cannot confirm the actual numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just installed the Teraflex Sport LCAs. Caster definitely went up, but left camber did as well, (bottom is the most current.) Anything I should worry about?

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
Camber is not really adjustable on a solid axle. And adding adjustable or longer control arms will not change camber. But if an axle housing has a bow to it and you rotate it (Which is what geometry correction does) that can change the camber reading (even how much toe you have could affect the camber reading, but I would not expect it to affect it that much). Variations in the guy making the measurements would be my next thought. Or perhaps your wheels aren't true. The next possibility is you bent the axle between measuring sessions.

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
Just installed the Teraflex Sport LCAs. Caster definitely went up, but left camber did as well, (bottom is the most current.) Anything I should worry about?
I would wonder also why your rear measurements went all over the place too... The caster is good. The toe is good. Does it drive better?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It does, steering feels much better. Only thing left is the right pull. Guess I'll give the steering stabilizer a try.
I would wonder also why your rear measurements went all over the place too... The caster is good. The toe is good. Does it drive better?

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
It does, steering feels much better. Only thing left is the right pull. Guess I'll give the steering stabilizer a try.
Good to hear...

Rancho 7000MT, Bilstein, Rusty's Monotube, Rubicon Express Monotube... The Fox 2.0 is also one to consider.

All look like they come out of the same factory except the Fox....

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ended up getting the Fox steering stabilizer. Pulls slightly to the left now lol but barely, only when I let go for awhile. Overall, I'm satisfied with my Jeep now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts