Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those that have installed the RE 4.5 extreme springs with the 5” shackles did you need to correct your caster? If so how much, 2*, 4* etc...

I know I need to take it to an alignment shop to really know how much I need to correct it but just seeing before I pay twice. Tia

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I just installed 4*shims a few months ago, wish now I had got the 6*...it’s better but was hoping for more of a result. I still have a little wandering issue but not as bad. I think 6* is more of the number your trying to shoot for? My caster was near 0* after the lift and boom shackles. Get steel shims!

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t 56351285678__6C51605B-A10F-4103-864F-BA1B2B096518.jpg

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed 4*shims a few months ago, wish now I had got the 6*...it’s better but was hoping for more of a result. I still have a little wandering issue but not as bad. I think 6* is more of the number your trying to shoot for? My caster was near 0* after the lift and boom shackles. Get steel shims!

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t View attachment 4144793
What length are your boom shackles? Mine are straight but that really doesn’t matter.

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not need any shims
Wow that’s weird. With longer shackles it would seem that it rotates the front axle down decreasing caster. Guess you got lucky, that’s good.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I never measured mine with the stock axle. Now that i have ECGS Dana 489 my caster is 8* and 4* pinion angle when it was supposed to be a 6*/6* split. So i need to shim it the opposite way even with lift shackles because ECGS apparently screwed it up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That kinda sucks when you spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have not measured mine... my assumption was that RE had the springs build for the correct angle....
That may or may not be so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts